Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Country
Australia
City/State
Victoria
The barriers to entry into bird photography have dropped sharply.

Frans Lanting of National Geographic talks about a shot he wanted to take of an Albatross coming in to land seen head-on. This was in the days of film and manual focus.
It took him a week to get it.

Nowadays AF, AE and AWB are good enough to let run to get a shot - mostly.

Freed from technical constraints people are now taking thousands of shots. And freed from publishing constraints, they're sharing them all too. I get the enthusiasm. I've been there too.
But I find most of them instantly forgettable because the authors aren't seeking to make shots that have impact.

And the old trope about what makes a good photo applies here too: light, composition and moment.

I recently despite myself entered a bird photo competition having been encouraged by a friend. I knew that the judges would be deluged with birds on a stick, so had to review my shots asking the question: what here is technically competent but is also engaging? What is capturing a moment? What is memorable?

I see a lot of bird shot just in my local area group are bird looking forwards with no distractions.
What I like to do is get a shot or 2 of a bird that is behind a branch(twigs) and leafs.
For me it adds a little more interest to the shot of what I see the most of here.

I hope you do well in the comp Ziggy please keep us informed on how you go.
And good luck.

Thanks Aussie.
I actually don't care about winning or not. I've had the benefit in the form of my own judging and reflecting.

I agree -- so many times we see the same old, same old "bird-on-a-stick" or bird-in-the-grass kind of shot or something similar. I try (but don't always succeed, of course!) to get and later present something different, something interesting that the bird is doing that will catch people's eye and attention. Definitely not always easy, since these guys aren't exactly going to follow a photographer's directions for assuming just the right angle, the right post..... LOL!

Quite right Clix Pix.

I like to say that bird shots aren't taken, they're given.
But you have to be ready for the gift.

So, so true! When I look out the window and see that the GBH is standing on the submerged log in the lake, I grab that gift and run with it, immediately dropping everything else I might have been doing and promptly start reaching for the camera, the lens, the tripod.... I hustle myself and the gear out to my deck as quickly as I can to watch this guy (I've named him "Alfred") and to shoot photos of him, and when I'm lucky he's doing something more than just standing on the submerged log......

:)

Yes. I need a sticker for my car:

BEWARE - STOPS SUDDENLY AT ANY TIME

I have shot birds and other wildlife for more than 40 years. Things sure are a lot easier today than they were back in the 1960's. I never could afford a motor drive, so it was one shot, then wind the film, then take another. Manual focus. Also manual exposure, and especially on color slide film you better be right on. Then, it was a week or more before I saw the film. It took years to get competent. Now is a great time to be a photographer.
Gary

interesting thoughts and comments, pretty much feel the same but also that a lot of stationary birds shots can fall into the categories of "staged or baited" or simply uninspiring same old stuff. I see hundreds of perched raptor shots with prey ( usually) and quietly reflect and ask myself are these actually wild and natural and I usually skip over them, the run of the mill passerines are nice but not inspiring particularly, except kingfishers ( love kingfishers LOL ) so I tend to forego many opportunities these days and I guess this has lead me to focus on ( no pun intended ) birds in flight, which presents a challenge, both in pursuit and capture, and usually adds variety not only to the subject but the environment - same old is no challenge, I like the challenge

I have shot birds and other wildlife for more than 40 years. Things sure are a lot easier today than they were back in the 1960's. I never could afford a motor drive, so it was one shot, then wind the film, then take another. Manual focus. Also manual exposure, and especially on color slide film you better be right on. Then, it was a week or more before I saw the film. It took years to get competent. Now is a great time to be a photographer.
Gary
Sure is.
The gear is capable and there's lots of choice. Just pick your tribe lol.

I was very pleased with myself for ages at just getting photos of birds that were in focus, and where I wasn't aware of the imaging process even at 100% crop. But as you say, there are many of these. I am now focussed on photos of the birds earning a living -- herons with fish (preferably catching them), raptors with prey, raptors fighting off attackers....
I don't see these things as often, so there are a lot fewer shots (I've never become a proper wildlife photographer that hides out in a blind for 24 hours and puts up with the mosquitos), but I find I remember these shots much longer.

Well, as it happened, today I again got one of those unexpected gifts -- I was pouring myself another cup of coffee and when I glanced out the window I spotted a newcomer to the lake -- a juvenile cormorant! I immediately set the coffee mug down and ran to the other room to grab my 100-400mm, which had the 1.4x TC on it, and slipped the lens on the camera. I rushed out to my deck and had a lovely time shooting the cormorant. I wasn't sure how long this opportunity would last, which is why I didn't grab the tripod and the Bazooka instead. The cormorant was very cooperative and obligingly posed for me, and even went underwater and grabbed his lunch, which he proudly displayed while trying to get it repositioned so he could swallow it!

ETA: I've now posted a few images in the 100-400mm Wildlife subforum

Last edited:
Sweet.
Lucky it gave you the time to get equipped.
It could be another principle of this game: the number of gifts is proportional to how close you keep your rig.

This post or thread has become very interesting in that it has gone back to film days.
I was about for that but was not into this as I am today and I will say happy about it to.
I am sure I would have wasted a lot of money back then as I still get it wrong today.
So i say well done to you who have progressed through to the digital era.
Its something I think I would have failed.

Back