Birds Laughing kookaburra in the bare branches.

Slug

Well Known Member
Followers
Following
Name
Greg Close
Tasmanian Arboretum today.

Kookas 6 r.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS
  • 385.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 1600

Greg while over on your island there were a few people who came up to me and began to talk about of all thing the culling of Kookaburra's there.
If it is true I can understand as they are killers and natural ones as they could easily take a baby of and smaller animal climbing a tree. Or take a rare frog. So I truly understand this if it it true.
I don't like it, but they are introduced there and can kill and will do so to keep alive. One thing the friends who were with us didn't believe this but I do even as much as I love them, as my nickname is Kooka so I love these birds but still I can see why.
But you live there and as they say you are on the coal face and would know more than these tourist would ever including me. But is there any truth to this story.
To your actual shot I like it a lot.

Greg while over on your island there were a few people who came up to me and began to talk about of all thing the culling of Kookaburra's there.
If it is true I can understand as they are killers and natural ones as they could easily take a baby of and smaller animal climbing a tree. Or take a rare frog. So I truly understand this if it it true.
I don't like it, but they are introduced there and can kill and will do so to keep alive. One thing the friends who were with us didn't believe this but I do even as much as I love them, as my nickname is Kooka so I love these birds but still I can see why.
But you live there and as they say you are on the coal face and would know more than these tourist would ever including me. But is there any truth to this story.
I never realized they were introduced to Tasmania Seems google agrees that they are.

Thanks, yes they were introduced in the late 1920s supposedly to control snakes. They didn't of course as there's so much easier prey about. I haven't heard anything about a cull and I believe they are too well established for it to be effective anyway. Nature has a way of coming into balance over time, and given that the kookaburra has managed to live with similar small species on mainland Australia, I think we just need to accept they are here to stay. The never ending development and destruction of habitat is far more of an issue to wildlife in Tasmania.

I have noticed similar frames of dialogue coming up a lot more in the last decade. Seems more and more like people might be inclined to make up what is hard to disprove in order to grab a bit more of something else, be that attention, funding or power.
The problem with these things is they always become political, so about power and interests, and the 'guilty' flanimal usually continues its survival with a few murdered to appease the committees regardless. Seems this way at least. Still, when it comes to culling, Oz has a long history of this... Dingoes, rabbits, hogs and cats to name a few.
Personally, I love old kookaburra, so I hope they wake up from all this madness and just let it all sort itself out (as it will anyway)

New in Marketplace

Back