Lens for landscapes and night skies

Paul stuart

Well Known Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
I am Toying with the idea of a wide angle choice for landscape and astrophotography ,sort of almost struck on a deal for the 16-35mm on my a7r3 ,but weight and cost makes me look at alternatives the tamron which 17-28mm would pair nicely with the 28-75mm i already own ,then the 20mm f1.8 which is basically flawless and great in low light for astrophotography ,also does the 16-35mm have aperture ring ?

I am Toying with the idea of a wide angle choice for landscape and astrophotography ,sort of almost struck on a deal for the 16-35mm on my a7r3 ,but weight and cost makes me look at alternatives the tamron which 17-28mm would pair nicely with the 28-75mm i already own ,then the 20mm f1.8 which is basically flawless and great in low light for astrophotography ,also does the 16-35mm have aperture ring ?
I have the 20mm 1.8G-it is an amazing lens.

Hard to dismiss almost does everything reminds me of my old panasonic leica 15mm f1.7 small ,mechanically sound like a little jewel optically ,although for a walk about lens the 16-35mm has good coverage that can not be dismissed but twice the price ,do you use it for nightscapes astro stuff?

Hard to dismiss almost does everything reminds me of my old panasonic leica 15mm f1.7 small ,mechanically sound like a little jewel optically ,although for a walk about lens the 16-35mm has good coverage that can not be dismissed but twice the price ,do you use it for nightscapes astro stuff?
A couple II took last week. I am also considering a zoom lens-people have rated the tamron highly and it is not as pricey as the sony 16-35. Mind you the 20mm cost me nearly £1k - luckily to get some discount on the cash back promotion.

Attachments

• 30C7DD82-6922-4958-B9AD-AFE49AA24BB5.jpeg
    30C7DD82-6922-4958-B9AD-AFE49AA24BB5.jpeg
    423.4 KB · Views: 91
  • 7F115D89-9E60-4E62-BEE4-005D1CA0318E.jpeg
    7F115D89-9E60-4E62-BEE4-005D1CA0318E.jpeg
    188 KB · Views: 99
have you considered the sigma art lenses? you could get a 20mm 1.4 used for ~600 dollars or new for ~800.

i don't have the 20, but i do have the 16 and it is sharp as heck and i love it personally.

I have the 20 mm 1.8 and it is very very sharp. I was worried when I first got it as it does hunt focus quite a bit in apertures above f 4 but I have been reliably informed that is quite normal for wide angle lenses to do this. That aside it s an excellent lens

have you considered the sigma art lenses? you could get a 20mm 1.4 used for ~600 dollars or new for ~800.

i don't have the 20, but i do have the 16 and it is sharp as heck and i love it personally.
i have , coma in the 20mm art along with soft corners at wide apertures although not essential for landscapes as you will be at f8 and above where it is probably very good ,also the fov of the 20mm sony says 20 it actually works out at 19mm so slightly wider makes me want the 20mm sony and i am a fan of the art series.

Hello folks! any suggestion about 16-35 Zeiss and 16-35 GM mounted on A7rIV? the best performer GM is really needed on a 61mpx sensor or also the Zeiss works well mounted on? thx in advance

well after much thought i purchased the tamron 17-28mm to go with my 28-75mm tamron i am thinking i will not see to many clear night skies from now on in until next year and a zoom is much more versatile ,i can always at a pinch stack images in sequator for milky way night scapes ,maybe next year i will snag the 20mm f1,8 second hand although i can not see many wanting to part with it .

A couple II took last week. I am also considering a zoom lens-people have rated the tamron highly and it is not as pricey as the sony 16-35. Mind you the 20mm cost me nearly £1k - luckily to get some discount on the cash back promotion.
lovely images ella great milkyway

Just returned from last minute practice trip up on the hill.
Sony A7ii w/ a Zeiss Batis 18/2.8 I picked up pre-owned. Been enjoying it so far..
Glad the smoke has cleared enough here in the Bay Area.

DSC03812.jpg

Yes, I did
did you also trust the 500 rule or use the npf just looked at the a7s3 ,npf it doubles your exposure time allowance ,i used photo pills to calculate shutter time my max is 13 sec f2.8 17mm with the tamron and a7r3 i assume iso will be between 3200 and 6400 on most exposures .but will try stacking.

I stay closer to the npf rule and these stacked images were all done at 13 seconds. I would go as high as 15-17 seconds perhaps, but not really above that, at least for me. Good luck on the stacking! I that you will see a difference.

thanks think i will see a difference as i previously used a m43 sensor for this type and that has one of smallest pixel pitches about on milc

Back