Sony A-Mount Sony A77 Lens Suggestion Needed

a77Minolta

Newcomer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Need suggestions on ultra wide but not fisheye for A77. Widest I currently have is a Sony 16-50 2.8 .
Thanks in advance

Adapted or native? Autofocus or manual? 16 is already wider than most vintage lenses that aren’t fisheye so I assume native mount. The DT 11-18 seems like a good fit. Not fast however.

Thanks, I’m not a pro. I have no idea what adaptive or native refers to.

Prefer autofocus
Adapted means a lens that is adapted via a separate adapter. Native means a lens made for that mount.

Last edited:
I see, thanks for explains that. I’d prefer native if possible but if there’s a must have lens available that will work with an adaptor, I’d consider it.

I see, thanks for explains that. I’d prefer native if possible but if there’s a must have lens available that will work with an adaptor, I’d consider it.

With a name like A77Minolta we might guess you have some A mount lenses - you'd need an adapter to use those on E mount. There are some shooters on these forums who are experts at re-deploying A mount glass on E mount bodies.

Native E mount lenses are easier, and there are lots of choices.
I have never used a lens shorter than 20mm, so I can't help you with your main question.

I recently acquired a Sony prime 14mm FE for architecture. It’s a beautiful thing, indoors and out. It likes to have something in close to fill the foreground.

On an APS-C sensor the 16-50 has a field of view equal to 24-75 on a full frame sensor.

If you don't want a fisheye, look for a lens with 'aspherical' (sometimes coded as AS) in the lens name. Samyang/Rokinon made a 10mm for A-Mount. It was manual focus only, but with a lens that wide depth of field is so deep it doesn't matter. This gives you a 15mm field of view.

@ f/2.8 with the focus set to infinity and your subject at 6', you'll be in focus from 3' to infinity. The more you stop down, the deeper it gets. So autofocus isn't a big deal, just set it and shoot.

With a name like A77Minolta we might guess you have some A mount lenses - you'd need an adapter to use those on E mount. There are some shooters on these forums who are experts at re-deploying A mount glass on E mount bodies.

Native E mount lenses are easier, and there are lots of choices.
I have never used a lens shorter than 20mm, so I can't help you with your main question.
The initial post is asking for lenses for the a77 not an e-mount camera.

I recently acquired a Sony prime 14mm FE for architecture. It’s a beautiful thing, indoors and out. It likes to have something in close to fill the foreground.
He’s looking for A mount advice for the a77.

Apologies - I misread it!

With the talk of adapters, I thought this was about adapting DSLR lenses to E mount Sony. I'd forgotten about adapting DSLR lenses to other DSLRs (with the limitation that you have to choose lenses with a longer flange distance so there is room for the adapter).

Back