Robert W. Garven Jr.
Country
United States
City/State
Ventura, California
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Freinds,

I am going to try to start doing some daylight long exposure photography after I got a link to a guy that gives free tips. I tried some of his star photography cheat sheets and they worked really well. Anyway he says to take long exposure photography in the daytime you really need to use ND filters and I was wondering if any of you have tried using a filter attachment to your Sony cameras and what worked or did not. I have the A7 iV. I like the look of these long exposure photographs and thought I would try it out. Of course I assume you need different filter holder for different lenses or maybe not... I saw a bunch on line like the Tiffen, Nisi and lee I also saw the variable polar pro screw in filter. I will probably use whatever I get on my Sony "G" FE4 24-105.

I am also looking for a good remote probably wireless if anyone can suggest one.

Anyway thanks to everyone for any suggestions!

Rob

Hi, suggest you purchase for your first filter just one 10 stop cheap circular filter maybe from Ebay USA around $25 before looking at the Tiffin, NISI, Lee filters that cost a lot more, cheap maybe not give you best quality but will give you some time to experiment and make sure it is what you want to do with photography, once you are happy that you want to continue then one of the square slot in filter systems as you only need the holder for many filters, remote wise you just need one that will allow you to keep the shutter open manually and lastly a chart to convert your exposure times when you first start (just one thing not to worry about when trying to get images at the start) can find them FREE to print out or as an app online.
Russ.

I use Kase magnetic nd filters which I have used very effectively .....to adapt the same filters to different lenses all you need is to buy suitable metal adapter rings To secure the magnetic filter holder.

A Very small, light and very adaptable system as opposed to the LLeequite. Ulky filter system.

I would take a look at Kase as one of your options.

I have found Kenko to be very good. I have Realpro ND filters and Celeste C-POL filters. I've always been impressed with these.

Freinds,

I am going to try to start doing some daylight long exposure photography after I got a link to a guy that gives free tips. I tried some of his star photography cheat sheets and they worked really well. Anyway he says to take long exposure photography in the daytime you really need to use ND filters and I was wondering if any of you have tried using a filter attachment to your Sony cameras and what worked or did not. I have the A7 iV. I like the look of these long exposure photographs and thought I would try it out. Of course I assume you need different filter holder for different lenses or maybe not... I saw a bunch on line like the Tiffen, Nisi and lee I also saw the variable polar pro screw in filter. I will probably use whatever I get on my Sony "G" FE4 24-105.

I am also looking for a good remote probably wireless if anyone can suggest one.

Anyway thanks to everyone for any suggestions!

Rob
Hi I use this remote which have 3 settings - 1 one shot 2 burst shooting and 3 bulb mode. Bulb mode - you know when you past 30 sec. maybee 2 minuts etc. This remote has a clock showing the min./seconds. in long exposure which is very helpfull. And it also uses trippel batteries which every grossery have in store. Both the reciever and remote uses AAA batteries.

Hi Rob,

With my a6300 I can use the imaging edge mobile app from Sony as a remote. In camera go to the apps page and select remote, in the app on your phone you can then connect to use the bulb mode.

For filters I have a 6 stop ND and a 10 stop ND, in practice I only use the 10 stop. Both are from B+W and are screw on. I'm really happy with the results.

I don't agree with Russ' comment on buying cheap ones first, for me personally I would always be asking myself whether the result could have been better if using a better filter. You are also avoiding shooting through windows etc. I would say, get good quality right away, this will give you good or better results already when experimenting. But this is just my opinion.

Have fun working with long exposures!
Matthias

Hi Rob,

With my a6300 I can use the imaging edge mobile app from Sony as a remote. In camera go to the apps page and select remote, in the app on your phone you can then connect to use the bulb mode.

For filters I have a 6 stop ND and a 10 stop ND, in practice I only use the 10 stop. Both are from B+W and are screw on. I'm really happy with the results.

I don't agree with Russ' comment on buying cheap ones first, for me personally I would always be asking myself whether the result could have been better if using a better filter. You are also avoiding shooting through windows etc. I would say, get good quality right away, this will give you good or better results already when experimenting. But this is just my opinion.

Have fun working with long exposures!
Matthias
Hi, I did not mean to buy cheap ones first, just the ONE as a start out to see how it goes, for practise etc then if happy buy a good quality one. I have LEE, NISI and B+W amongst others that I used over the years. Russ.

Hi, I did not mean to buy cheap ones first, just the ONE as a start out to see how it goes, for practise etc then if happy buy a good quality one. I have LEE, NISI and B+W amongst others that I used over the years. Russ.
Okay, fair point. I still don't agree, I would rather buy a good quality one directly even if it is to experiment.

I second your recommendation on starting with a 10 stop!
Matthias

I recently picked up a "K&F Concept 77mm Variable ND Lens Filter ND2-32 (1-5 Stops)" which I hope to be able to use in the next couple weeks while in the tropics.

If nd filters are something you want to try I would not suggest the cheap filter route, buy one good one to play with and then if it is something you like, buy some more and you still have the first good one, if not, sell it.

I can certainly see @russellsnr ‘s point. I once bought an entire set of square graduated ND filters thinking I was going to get heavily into tripod mounted landscape shots but never did. Ended up selling them at a loss. There are some pretty cheap filters out there in Amazonland, nothing wrong with spending $20 to find out if you like the genre enough to jump in all the way.

I bought the Nisi A7 system but after watching so many reviews the Kase systems seems easier to change and use, does anyone have any experience with this Case system? It seems much easier to handle but read some comments about the ppl falling off also it is rotated by friction which seems a bit abrasive to me. I always tend to buy the nicest stuff I can afford, even if it more than I have to spend most times it pays me back with quality goods! sometimes not! I haven't opened the Nisi kit yet just having some second thoughts.

Check these out...

Last edited:
So here is what I was able to do with my variable ND filter. For this particular shot I really could have used one that was closer to a 10 stop but for the majority of what I expect 5 stops should be enough. This is Rincon, PR in early afternoon and the cloudless sky didn't help reduce the sunlight.
A1_09716_1.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • Sony FE 24-105mm F4 G OSS (SEL24105G)
  • 105.0 mm
  • ƒ/22
  • 1/4 sec
  • ISO 50

So here is what I was able to do with my variable ND filter. For this particular shot I really could have used one that was closer to a 10 stop but for the majority of what I expect 5 stops should be enough. This is Rincon, PR in early afternoon and the cloudless sky didn't help reduce the sunlight.View attachment 34325
I think I have the same VND you have, so its interesting to see what it is capable of. Living in Florida (and being from Jamaica), I completely understand how bright a cloudless day at the beach can be.

Hi I have also just started dabbling with long exposure. I made the mistake of buying a 3 stop circular Hoya ND filter which didn't let me get far. I've now got a 6 stop Hoya to go with it, they screw together so now 9 stop, better now but should have started with a ten stop. doubling them up this way did cause a little vignetting when using a wide angle lens. Regarding calculating exposure I saw a free app recommended. Tried it yesterday seems easy and works quite well helps reduce task overload when trying to think about everything else or standing in the rain. it's called Long exposure Calculator by Junel Corales. I haven't bought a remote shutter release yet but probably will at some point. have just been setting the release on a two second timer. let us know how things go.

Hi I have also just started dabbling with long exposure. I made the mistake of buying a 3 stop circular Hoya ND filter which didn't let me get far. I've now got a 6 stop Hoya to go with it, they screw together so now 9 stop, better now but should have started with a ten stop. doubling them up this way did cause a little vignetting when using a wide angle lens. Regarding calculating exposure I saw a free app recommended. Tried it yesterday seems easy and works quite well helps reduce task overload when trying to think about everything else or standing in the rain. it's called Long exposure Calculator by Junel Corales. I haven't bought a remote shutter release yet but probably will at some point. have just been setting the release on a two second timer. let us know how things go.
The 6 stopper is ok. Yust set the ISO as low as you can - 50-64 etc. and aperatur at F22 and you will have very long exposures. Do your camera switch to bulb after 30 sec? If so - use the lowest ISO and high aperatur to manipulate longer exposures. But I highly recomend the remote. Then set the camera in bulb mode. And then you can see the time on the remote.

The 6 stopper is ok. Yust set the ISO as low as you can - 50-64 etc. and aperatur at F22 and you will have very long exposures. Do your camera switch to bulb after 30 sec? If so - use the lowest ISO and high aperatur to manipulate longer exposures. But I highly recomend the remote. Then set the camera in bulb mode. And then you can see the time on the remote.
Yes it switches to Bulb after 30 seconds, I have been looking at the remotes just not there yet(y)

I just bought the Nisi 100mm V7 Pro kit as I also wanted to start doing long exposure photography. It comes with several filters and the holder that mounts to my 82mm filter thread on my Sony 16-35mm 2.8 GM and my Sigma 24-70 2.8 DG DN Art. I’ve only taken a few images so far and these are super easy to use and stack up to 3 filters. Example images are on my site at jasongerrish.SmugMug.com

Back