Macro lens vs Lens baby 85mm

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

lmrennert

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Lynn Rennert
Greetings all, I'm thinking about purchasing the Lensbaby Velvet 85mm. However, I'm wondering if there is enough difference between the Lensbaby to the Tokina 100mm 2.8 Macro lens. I shoot with Sony A7iii and I love the ability Flexible Spot provides when shooting macro. Thanks for your input. I wish I could try one out for a few days to see if I would like it. The Pink is f/9 and the tulip tip is f/2.8

Attachments

• Pretty in Pink-.jpg
    Pretty in Pink-.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 21
  • Tuliip leaf-.jpg
    Tuliip leaf-.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 19
My opinion? Don't waste your money on the Lensbaby, which is really rather gimmicky and the results are nowhere near as good as with a "real" (i.e., dedicated) macro lens.

Last edited:
I bought a used Sony 90mm on Fred Miranda and love it for Macro along with the Cygnustech diffuser.

I've long since been a macro / closeups fan, and my 90mm macro is probably my most-used lens. When I first made the switch to Sony, that lens was at the very top of the list of new lenses with which to start out. I also have the Sony 50mm macro lens, which is a good one, too, but I tend not to use it all that often. Recently I bought the 70-200mm f/4 Macro lens, and it has hardly been off the camera since the day it arrived in the household. Surprisingly versatile lens and I'm more than happy with it. Great for shooting cherry blossoms, tulip magnolias and other flowers!

Some years ago I bought a Lensbaby Solar 45 something-or-other. I quickly decided that I just don't like it and have used it very few times. Too fiddly and I wasn't pleased with the results. It's still in the cabinet but not a lens for which I reach when considering macro or closeups. I've seen images shot on various Lensbaby lenses from other photographers and have just not been all that impressed. They're inexpensive for a reason.....

Two excellent manual-focus-only macro lenses are the Voigtlander 110mm and the 60mm), which are wonderful for their special way of rendering colors.

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Back