maintenance checks on the cathedral in Florence, it appears to under going a complete scan of its outer skin

spudhead

Legendary Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Gary
Country
United Kingdom
on my last visit to Florence in early October I noticed the cathedral was under going a complete scan of its outer marble skin, and I have added a shot of the scanning under way, I also have added a shot of the dome which has large areas of its marble skin removed from the left side of it, which I had not noticed on previous visits, it may have been removed for years but I do not know
florence 2023 25.jpg
  • ILCE-9
  • Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70 mm F4 ZA OSS (SEL2470Z)
  • 49.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/640 sec
  • ISO 2000
florence 2023 47.jpg
  • ILCE-9
  • Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70 mm F4 ZA OSS (SEL2470Z)
  • 70.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 100

Kind of shocking how much of the marble is missing in that second shot.

on my last visit to Florence in early October I noticed the cathedral was under going a complete scan of its outer marble skin, and I have added a shot of the scanning under way, I also have added a shot of the dome which has large areas of its marble skin removed from the left side of it, which I had not noticed on previous visits, it may have been removed for years but I do not knowView attachment 49465View attachment 49466
Hi Gary ,thanks for that information ,I've just got back from a week in Florence and wondered what was going on . Another day we saw the fire brigade up there as well. Brilliant city but very very busy.

Hi Gary ,thanks for that information ,I've just got back from a week in Florence and wondered what was going on . Another day we saw the fire brigade up there as well. Brilliant city but very very busy.
yep I have visited 3 times in the last 18 months alone, and this time of the year it is a lot less busy than summer so they start repair works so we are told. June is nuts but October is really nice, my son was there in August and face-timed me from the square and it was almost empty at mid day.

Back