Name
Roger Smith
Country
United States
City/State
San Diego
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Mark Smith (Osprey guy / wildlife photographer) Posted the first of three videos he plans on the 300 f/2.8, which he says he has pre ordered. His comments / images have me rethinking this lens (as in now possibly interested). Its so small and light, I could still pack it with the 200-600 for travel. I used to shoot a 300 2.8 with Canon, and I did love that subject isolation. Issue was reach, so how this lens behaves with TCs will be critical. With hi resolution Sony bodies, the 1.5 crop of APSC mode also adds a built in option. Curious if anyone else thinking along these lines....
(updated with link, thanks Tim)

Last edited:
quite sure the 300 with 1.4 x will be good not so sure about 2x , I guess new teleconverters could be on the way

seen images with both 1.4 and 2.0 tc still holds it well and if you are using a t/c nothing better than a prime and 2.8 ,also i have a feeling this is sonys sharpest white prime to date followed by the 400mm f2.8 then the 600mm f4 ,but it makes a compelling reason to sell my 200-600mm for this lens half a kilo lighter ,5.6 at 600mm which is 1/3 of a stop better than my 200-600mm , as sharp with t/c ,sharper when stopped down to f6.3 most likley and faster focusing with closer focusing ,cons for me cost ,not so variable ,no front filter screw oh and another con needing to pay for 2 t/c and carry them around

Last edited:
Not totally sure if links are not welcomed so I'll just say Mark Smith (Osprey guy / wildlife photographer) Posted the first of three videos he plans on the 300 f/2.8, which he says he has pre ordered. His comments / images have me rethinking this lens (as in now possibly interested). Its so small and light, I could still pack it with the 200-600 for travel. I used to shoot a 300 2.8 with Canon, and I did love that subject isolation. Issue was reach, so how this lens behaves with TCs will be critical. With hi resolution Sony bodies, the 1.5 crop of APSC mode also adds a built in option. Curious if anyone else thinking along these lines....
alex phan has images with 1.4 and 2,0 tc it looks very good the size is such a gain hard to dismiss

I have preordered the 300 f/2.8, and fully intend to use it with both TCs and APS-C crop. The weight means I’ll be using it hand held most of the time. The weight sealed the deal for me - I was hoping it would not be over 2kg :cool:

I think links are OK, but people may look askance at you linking to your relatives :unsure: :D

I have no doubt the 300 will be sharp but I always find it strange that people jump on that fact that primes have fast f numbers, in this case 2.8 it is actually rare that even the best primes are sharpest at the fastest f number. So if 2.8 does not lend its self to birds in flight well and its more like f3.2 or f4 x that by tc factors and you are behind the game compared to 200-600 for example. Just thinking out loud and I have used every prime Sony or Minolta have ever made and still use the 300 2.8 g now and have done for the last 7-8 years both on a-mount and now on e-mount the sweet spot on the 300 is f4 and above. I will still probably buy the new 300 2.8 lens but mainly because of weight and the fact I can use teleconverters, but I will be buying with a realistic expectation of real life use, best case it will be the best thing since sliced bread we will see.

Not totally sure if links are not welcomed so I'll just say Mark Smith (Osprey guy / wildlife photographer) Posted the first of three videos he plans on the 300 f/2.8, which he says he has pre ordered. His comments / images have me rethinking this lens (as in now possibly interested). Its so small and light, I could still pack it with the 200-600 for travel. I used to shoot a 300 2.8 with Canon, and I did love that subject isolation. Issue was reach, so how this lens behaves with TCs will be critical. With hi resolution Sony bodies, the 1.5 crop of APSC mode also adds a built in option. Curious if anyone else thinking along these lines....
Relevant links are definitely welcome Roger, especially those from Mark! Feel free to edit your post to include it or I can add it to your post if that's ok with you? Makes more sense that it's at the top of the thread than down in my post.

Relevant links are definitely welcome Roger, especially those from Mark! Feel free to edit your post to include it or I can add it to your post if that's ok with you? Makes more sense that it's at the top of the thread than down in my post.

ok I watched part 1 but could not find part 3-4

He's only uploaded part 1 so far. Patience Gary! :)
I have told myself do not watch because I am a sucker for a prime lens and this is already pushing my buttons and 300 2.8 as light as this at my time of life is a dream after lugging the big bother versions for years, confession I had an option on one first day they confirmed it :)

I have told myself do not watch because I am a sucker for a prime lens and this is already pushing my buttons and 300 2.8 as light as this at my time of life is a dream after lugging the big bother versions for years, confession I had an option on one first day they confirmed it :)
If it makes you feel any better, I'd be happy to have your A-Mount version after you buy this, just ship it off via FedEx and it will have a good home!

If it makes you feel any better, I'd be happy to have your A-Mount version after you buy this, just ship it off via FedEx and it will have a good home!
If you drop off a private message sure one of my clan will be out in the USA soon if not Myself ;)

I'd probably love one, but I can in no way afford one, so meh...

The more I see of it the more I'm tempted as well! Still, no money for it right now and not enough time to shoot with it to justify the expense anyway. One day perhaps :)

The more I see of it the more I'm tempted as well! Still, no money for it right now and not enough time to shoot with it to justify the expense anyway. One day perhaps :)
Tim try this Dear Sony I own and run Sony only site I would like a 300 g 2.8 to promote on your behalf ;)

Tim try this Dear Sony I own and run Sony only site I would like a 300 g 2.8 to promote on your behalf ;)
I'm pretty sure I'd be at the back of the queue! 😂

I have no doubt the 300 will be sharp but I always find it strange that people jump on that fact that primes have fast f numbers, in this case 2.8 it is actually rare that even the best primes are sharpest at the fastest f number. So if 2.8 does not lend its self to birds in flight well and its more like f3.2 or f4 x that by tc factors and you are behind the game compared to 200-600 for example. Just thinking out loud and I have used every prime Sony or Minolta have ever made and still use the 300 2.8 g now and have done for the last 7-8 years both on a-mount and now on e-mount the sweet spot on the 300 is f4 and above. I will still probably buy the new 300 2.8 lens but mainly because of weight and the fact I can use teleconverters, but I will be buying with a realistic expectation of real life use, best case it will be the best thing since sliced bread we will see.

It doesn't have to be at its sharpest wide open - just sharp enough. There are several Sony primes which are plenty sharp enough wide open - the 135mm GM is a good example.

I fully expect this lens to be more than sharp enough wide open.

I saw someone say that they were waiting as fast as they could - that's how I feel about this lens. Looking forward to it with great anticipation and expectations.

It doesn't have to be at its sharpest wide open - just sharp enough. There are several Sony primes which are plenty sharp enough wide open - the 135mm GM is a good example.

I fully expect this lens to be more than sharp enough wide open.

I saw someone say that they were waiting as fast as they could - that's how I feel about this lens. Looking forward to it with great anticipation and expectations.
i bet it is sharpest white prime ,not as though it will give the look of a 600mm f4 or 400mm f2.8 ,and they are both extremely sharp but their look /perceived sharpness is what renders so good ,and makes images pop more ,but what i find a little infuriating is they could make a 1.5kg weighing 600mm f5.6 and i am willing to bet it would sell as many or more than the 3000mm f2.8.still i have put a order in for the 300mm f2.8

Good to see Mark is still making videos

Back