Unframed Dave

Well Known Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Dave
I have a saved search on the bay of e and regularly see these come up for a couple of grand. Whilst it ain't peanuts, it's small change compared to the modern sony. How would it compare?

Is it worth a punt?

Would it need an adapter?

They're all coming from Japan, so there'd be tax and charges on top.

I would not buy one Dave and I have lots of Minolta primes from the 100mm 2.8 200 2.8 300 2.8 400 4.5, the 600 is a monster I used one a few years ago I could not handhold it, you would need the lea -5 I think on the a1 and dialing these things in is difficult they are screw drive and if the setup in the camera is wrong they will be nervous on focusing, look at Sonys on line chart for this lens on the a1 on lea-5 to see how the lens will work with your camera body. While these lenses render great colours and and results they do not work like the current lenses you are used to,if you understand that its fine, but I feel you would regret the buy,I think there is one on uk ebay for £2,600 and it has been on for an age so make an offer on that at least you could return it, a few years ago these were getting 5-6k, hope this helps(y)

Many thanks for that, I can't see the one you're referring to, do you have an item number?

There is one from a private seller for 2k, which has got my interest.

Dave in fact it is the one in the link I have not looked for some time so it looks like the price has gone down some what, I will add you will not be able to use a tele-converter with this on the mirrorless, its got something to do with the adaptor and distance to the sensor, they did 2 teleconverters and they had different gearing in them for speed of focus but as I say you wont be able to use them.

20230727_085413.jpg
  • SM-G981B
  • 5.4 mm
  • ƒ/1.8
  • 1/100 sec
  • ISO 80

Dave in fact it is the one in the link I have not looked for some time so it looks like the price has gone down some what, I will add you will not be able to use a tele-converter with this on the mirrorless, its got something to do with the adaptor and distance to the sensor, they did 2 teleconverters and they had different gearing in them for speed of focus but as I say you wont be able to use them.
That makes no sense to me at all. Check Dyxum.com for the correct converter to use with this lens.

The distance from the lens to the sensor is going to be constant regardless of which lens/TC you use. The LA-EAX adapter makes up the difference lost by the mirror housing and does not change from lens to lens. The only thing that would affect the use of a TC would be whether the element at the mount end is deep enough to clear the protruding lens on the TC.

That makes no sense to me at all. Check Dyxum.com for the correct converter to use with this lens.

The distance from the lens to the sensor is going to be constant regardless of which lens/TC you use. The LA-EAX adapter makes up the difference lost by the mirror housing and does not change from lens to lens. The only thing that would affect the use of a TC would be whether the element at the mount end is deep enough to clear the protruding lens on the TC.
You could be right Tim the lea-5 on the a9 with ssm 300 2.8 and sony teleconverters do not work neither the 1.4 or the 2x , so I said what I said because I find it hard to believe the converter would work on the Minolta 600 screw drive on the lea-5 even with matching converter. Another example of Sony saying something and it actually working or not, there has been loads of testing done by loads of people on lots of bodies and some work with lenses listed and converters and some work and some do not, how knows

I've rethought this.

I could buy the minolta for 2000, find that the performance is unsatisfactory. Then I'd sell it on. I reckon at best the experience would cost me 200, at worst, I'd not be able to find a buyer and I'd be 2000 down. Obviously there's an unknown middle ground.

Secondly, I could buy an A mount 500 f4 for around twice as much. My losses are likely to be about the same as above as I think it would be easier (but not a doddle) to move on, if I don't gain anything from having it

Or, I stick my neck on the block and stump up for the FE 600. Initially,this seems really rash for a hobby photographer, but assuming I don't drop it, it will always have some value as an asset. In the short term, let's say 10K. If it doesn't suit me, or I can't do it justice, I'd sell it and, wait for it, lose around the same sort of money as above.

Admittedly, it means investing a substantial amount of dollar in a lens, that will gain me nothing financially, but I don't tend to worry about that kind of thing. There's no point in worrying about stuff that doesn't matter, and in life you discover that most stuff doesn't matter, and the rest you can't do anything about anyway. My Dad told me that.

My sums may be a bit out, but not massively, the wife hasn't said "no", so I'm going to look for the best value 600 f4 I can find. I'm in no rush, plenty to be getting on with.

How often one changes one's mind.

I have the 1.4TC already. Apparently the 400 f2.8 works extremely well with it.

Job done.

For the next few minutes anyway.

You could be right Tim the lea-5 on the a9 with ssm 300 2.8 and sony teleconverters do not work neither the 1.4 or the 2x , so I said what I said because I find it hard to believe the converter would work on the Minolta 600 screw drive on the lea-5 even with matching converter. Another example of Sony saying something and it actually working or not, there has been loads of testing done by loads of people on lots of bodies and some work with lenses listed and converters and some work and some do not, how knows
I don't disagree that it won't work with the Minolta TC, my point is that it is not a "distance to the sensor" issue as stated. It's the clearance from the front of the TC to the rear of the lens.

The lens may work fine with one of the aftermarket TCs too. For instance, my 500/8 AF won't work with the Minolta TCs, but it works with the Kalimar.

Again, everything anyone wants to know is documented at the Dyxum database. Real-world results. No reason to stick your neck out or guess.

Serious money lenses, but epic imagery. I'd probably still go for the 600f4 personally, the extra reach is key and it works with the 1.4 too. There isn't much difference in the price either, and it can definitely be handheld.

Serious money lenses, but epic imagery. I'd probably still go for the 600f4 personally, the extra reach is key and it works with the 1.4 too. There isn't much difference in the price either, and it can definitely be handheld.
That is maybe easy to say when thinking about it but when you see this beast and have to lug the bugger around it gets real fast. The sigma 500 4.5 I have is big and heavy enough. I should have bought a sigma 300-800 I was offered by my mate who has a shop I tested it on a sigma adaptor and decided against it and it was only going to cost me £1,250

A question Spud. I've noticed when shooting some of my A-mounts, especially 80-200/2.8 and 85/1.4, a slight delay from the time I press the button until the shutter activates. This doesn't seem to have anything to do with focus, it happens even when the lens is already in focus. I think it may have something to do with communicating through the adapters and interpreting the A-mount info to E-mount. When shooting action, I find I have to predict the first shot and plan ahead, or I may miss the decisive moment.

Do you ever notice it with your setup?

That is maybe easy to say when thinking about it but when you see this beast and have to lug the bugger around it gets real fast. The sigma 500 4.5 I have is big and heavy enough. I should have bought a sigma 300-800 I was offered by my mate who has a shop I tested it on a sigma adaptor and decided against it and it was only going to cost me £1,250
800 grams more than the 200 600. Not a great deal more. I never have any issue carrying big lenses, though many do. At 3040grams it's light for a 600 f4.

A question Spud. I've noticed when shooting some of my A-mounts, especially 80-200/2.8 and 85/1.4, a slight delay from the time I press the button until the shutter activates. This doesn't seem to have anything to do with focus, it happens even when the lens is already in focus. I think it may have something to do with communicating through the adapters and interpreting the A-mount info to E-mount. When shooting action, I find I have to predict the first shot and plan ahead, or I may miss the decisive moment.

Do you ever notice it with your setup?
Yes just now and then, and one issue I have with the 300 2.8 g is I need to be careful where I hold the lens and camera because the weight if held wrong can cause the adaptor to flex and it seems to disconnect, so I hold the lens with fingers tip just inside the hood which sounds stupid but it is big glass and never seems to show in the images

Yes just now and then, and one issue I have with the 300 2.8 g is I need to be careful where I hold the lens and camera because the weight if held wrong can cause the adaptor to flex and it seems to disconnect, so I hold the lens with fingers tip just inside the hood which sounds stupid but it is big glass and never seems to show in the images
Deleted Member 5045 would be stuffed :D

800 grams more than the 200 600. Not a great deal more. I never have any issue carrying big lenses, though many do. At 3040grams it's light for a 600 f4.
Yep things have changed for me I have carpal tunnel syndrome in both wrists and some serious damage to the right shoulder that needs an op, after 45 years in heavy construction the body is falling apart. But regards the Minolta 600 f4 they do work very different to the current lenses they can be very nervous when hitting focus, I have no doubt it can be made to work nicely

This Gary..!

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Back