My 3 APS-C lens - as of today!

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

bpayne01

Newcomer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Well, I often can decide quick, but then change my mind a lot. I am actually in this exact position of having two of the lenses and trying to decide what that 3rd one is.

I have the Sony A6600.

My first two lenses for what I like to do: Sony 16-55mm f2.8 G & Sony 70-350mm f4.5-6.3 G oss

Now, for my 3rd . . . . . . . . .

it depends on what day you ask me:

Sigma 16mm f1.4
Sigma 30mm f1.4
Sigma 56mm f1.4
Sony 35mm f1.8 oss

I want one prime lens for indoor shooting. I don't need the oss, but I am trying to decide between an A6100 or A6400 for the second camera body. I don't do much video, at least at this time, so am leaning toward one of the Sigmas.

FWIW i use the 1.4 16mm sigma - but my primary use for it is astro and landscapes - i don't think it is really suitable for indoor work if i were to make the assumption that you are doing portraiture or group photos. i'd probably lean towards the 30 or 35 as an all-rounder, personally. between the two i guess the biggest question in my mind would be lighting - if your lighting is poor you may want the oss to help with slower shutter speeds?

FWIW i use the 1.4 16mm sigma - but my primary use for it is astro and landscapes - i don't think it is really suitable for indoor work if i were to make the assumption that you are doing portraiture or group photos. i'd probably lean towards the 30 or 35 as an all-rounder, personally. between the two i guess the biggest question in my mind would be lighting - if your lighting is poor you may want the oss to help with slower shutter speeds?

Yeah, I eventually want to get to some astro, so the 16mm would do well there. For indoors I think I may like a little smaller form factor, so the 35mm f1.8 or the 30mm f1.4 may be the way to go. Thinking about the video that I don't do a lot of but have been doing it a bit lately, I have read some things about the Sigma 30mm making a lot of noice when focusing. I have an offset hot/cold shoe so I can mount the mic to the side and not interfere with the popup screen, which should help.

The Sony 35mm is a great all-rounder, and suitable for indoors, but if you eventually want to try Astro then Sigma 16 is the way to go.
Bonus for the Sigma16: it has such a short minimum focus distance, you can do some nice close shots like food photography.

For indoor shooting I'd skip the 56mm. It's too close. I have the Sony 50mm, and while I love the lens, its very difficult to use indoors (if you plan on portraits etc.. during parties or casual stuff)

Also for astro the 16mm is a bit narrow. I'd prefer the samyang/rokinon 12mm f/2. For astro you are limited by the rotation of the earth on how long you can keep the shutter open. When you do the math, there is no light advantage between 16mm f/1.4 and 12mm f/2. What you gain in transmission you loose it in shutter speed.

The sigma optically is the better lens, but the 12mm is the better focal length for astro.

The 16mm though is great for video though.

I have the 30mm f/1.4 and I think that it is the sharpest lens I have, but I do not use it as often, I don't like the focal length.

I don't need the oss, but I am trying to decide between an A6100 or A6400 for the second camera body. I don't do much video, at least at this time, so am leaning toward one of the Sigmas.
You have an A6600 which has in-body-stabilization but neither the A6100 and A6400 do not. Just something to keep in mind.

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Back