My first fox cub photo

Raindog

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Finally found evidence of a fox den on our farm/eco project. I went back with my 200-600 and 1.4x teleconverter not expecting to see anything (how often does wildlife play ball?!). As I crept closer to the den two little faces popped out of the long grass but spotted me immediately. One headed straight down a hole, but the other one stopped and looked at me for about 20 seconds before also disappearing. I managed to get a few shots off, but being handheld 840mm and adrenaline pumping it felt like I was waiving all over the place. On reviewing the images, I clearly was, as most were very blurry. But a couple of decent shots survived my terrible long lens technique. I've included one quite heavily cropped in and another showing more of the environment. Going back to the farm this week and hoping they might still be around :)

Attachments

• 220608-untitled-010-2.jpg
    220608-untitled-010-2.jpg
    764.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 220608-untitled-017-2.jpg
    220608-untitled-017-2.jpg
    893.5 KB · Views: 49
Well done! Getting that first shot of fox cubs is always a rewarding experience! :) Hope you manage to see them again this week!

That's a nice shot!

Nice shooting!

Very nice. We have gray foxes where I live (southern Arizona), though red foxes are found in many parts of the USA. Unfortunately I have never been able to photograph a wild fox of any kind. I have photos of wild bobcats, coyotes, raccoons, coatis, black and brown bears, but no foxes. I have seen gray fox at night a few times, but never been able to get a photo.

Very nice. We have gray foxes where I live (southern Arizona), though red foxes are found in many parts of the USA. Unfortunately I have never been able to photograph a wild fox of any kind. I have photos of wild bobcats, coyotes, raccoons, coatis, black and brown bears, but no foxes. I have seen gray fox at night a few times, but never been able to get a photo.
Wow, that’s a lot of animals you’ve captured. Great work!

Well done! Getting that first shot of fox cubs is always a rewarding experience! :) Hope you manage to see them again this week!
Thank you, Tim. Urrgh, I got struck down with covid on arrival so haven’t made it out much. Got some nice (I think) photos of nesting house sparrows. No internet here so won’t know until I get home. Going to attempt the fox den tomorrow Thanks for the support 👍

Thank you, Tim. Urrgh, I got struck down with covid on arrival so haven’t made it out much. Got some nice (I think) photos of nesting house sparrows. No internet here so won’t know until I get home. Going to attempt the fox den tomorrow Thanks for the support 👍
That's annoying. I hope you make a speedy recovery! It does seems to be spreading again right now. I'm still waiting my turn.

Back