Followers
Following
Name
Jeff
Country
United States
City/State
Elk Grove, CA
A while back, I posted a link to Mark Galer's review of the DxO PureRAW 2 software used to de noise your photos. I did in fact, purchase this software and used it today. I posted my result on Mark Galer's Patreon Q & A page. I copied it here for those of you who are not Mark Galer Patrons so you can read it as well:

Hello Mark…… Today I used your purchase link ( https://tidd.ly/39lOdtl ) and purchased and installed DxO PureRAW 2. I did a test with a combination of DxO supplied images and some recently shot, high ISO pictures of mine. My impressions and a couple of questions follow: The first thing I did was to gather the test photos, some images were supplied, but the majority of the images were mine. I put them in a folder and dropped them into DxO PureRAW 2 – Deep Prime. The program immediately gave me an estimate of the time it would take to process the images. The estimate was 30 minutes for 22 photos. Since I didn’t have to sit here and monitor this process, I thought that was “OK.” In fact, it was finished with the 22 photos in 4 minutes! That was very good as far as I was concerned. Next, I ran them quickly through Lightroom, and I mean quickly. No cropping, no lens corrections and all that I did was hit the “Auto” button on the Basic Panel, used the Histogram to pull the Blacks and Whites down and between the “Goal Posts” and that was all. On some of the images at the car show, I used the “Auto” function on the Transform panel and that was it! I did run into some confusion with the Export function in Lightroom. It appears that the installation of the DxO Plug-in made some changes to the Export panel. I made a few mistakes myself, made the same ones again, but finally got the job done. It was just a few weeks ago that I attended the Sacramento Autorama and processed my images taken at that event. These were almost all very high ISO images that Topaz De Noise corrected but it was a long, drawn-out process. I need to sit down, sketch out a Workflow using DxO PureRAW 2, but once I get used to it, I think it will be pretty fast. Here is the link to the 17 photos I posted:
https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjzTCXR

I would be pleased if you and others would take a look at these 17 images and offer comments as to the final result. Oh, one other thing Mark. Please note the blue Chevy pickup in the photos. This is "so you" Mark, I can definitely picture you in this vehicle.

Hi, Firstly I am no expert on the PP game but after downloading DXO pure Raw trial I have to say I could not see that much if any difference to what Topaz Denoise AI offers except maybe speed, I also felt the price was a little OTT but JMO there.
As I like the bird side of photography I looked at your image and again JMO there seems to be still a lot of noise in the BG but of course looking at it on a computer monitor on Flickr or any other online app does not show images at there best. Russ.

Hi, Firstly I am no expert on the PP game but after downloading DXO pure Raw trial I have to say I could not see that much if any difference to what Topaz Denoise AI offers except maybe speed, I also felt the price was a little OTT but JMO there.
As I like the bird side of photography I looked at your image and again JMO there seems to be still a lot of noise in the BG but of course looking at it on a computer monitor on Flickr or any other online app does not show images at there best. Russ.
I disagree about Flickr but certainly there is noise in the bird shot which was not my photo. My car show images were 20,000 to 25,000 ISO, and they were good. I now own both the Topaz program as well as the DxO product. After one use, I'm liking the DxO product more. YRMV.

Your car images are astonishingly good for ISO 20000. I would never dream of using ISO much above 3200 so just shows how powerful the lastest software is. I must try a trial of both DxO & Topaz to try to recover some overly noisey images I have. There is noise on the bird shot but its been taken on a D300S - great camera in its day, I had one, but its a smaller sensor so noise will always be an issue when compared against latest spec FF models, even those from Nikon! Useful post - thanks. Alan

Your car images are astonishingly good for ISO 20000. I would never dream of using ISO much above 3200 so just shows how powerful the lastest software is. I must try a trial of both DxO & Topaz to try to recover some overly noisey images I have. There is noise on the bird shot but its been taken on a D300S - great camera in its day, I had one, but its a smaller sensor so noise will always be an issue when compared against latest spec FF models, even those from Nikon! Useful post - thanks. Alan
Thank you Alan.

Back