New forum member from Thailand

Ruud Pielage

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Ruud Pielage
Hello. My name is Ruud Pielage and I'm a new member on this forum. I'm a 62 year old Dutch national living in Thailand for more than 30 years. I consider myself a beginner in photography. About 2.5 years ago I bought a Sony compact camera (DSC-RX100M5a) to do some underwater photography. However ,due to corona related limitations I didn't spend a lot of time under water with my camera; instead I started to develop a real interest in taking photos of insects and flowers (and landscape to a lesser extent).
Having some more spare time now ,I'm planning to delve more into the technique of photography.
Also looking to upgrade my equipment.
I'm not a Alpha-shooter yet but hope to become one soon.
Given my budget ,I'm looking at the Sony A7R III and the Sony A7 IV.
Read and viewed a lot of reviews and YouTube videos about these 2 cameras and it seems to me that the A7 IV might be the better choice in general terms. However ,as my main interest is macro-photography ,the A7R III might be the better option for me due to the higher mp and the better possibility to crop photos.
Would appreciate to hear comments ,remarks, suggestions from the real Alpha users on this choice.

Welcome! We have quite a few A7III, A7IV, A7RIII and A7RIV users, hopefully they will chime in.

Welcome to the Forum. Suggestion? I own 2 of the cameras mentioned so I'll comment. My A7 III is great but my A7 IV is phenomenal.

Welcome Ruud and thank you for joining up here. If your main focus is macro then personally I'd go with the a7R III over the a7 IV for the additional megapixels, there is also no low pass filter in front of the sensor on the a7R III. You also get Pixel Shift with the a7R III which can be useful for macro work providing the subject is not moving.

Welcome to the forums Ruud, I wish that you will enjoy the time and knowledge here being shared here.

Back