New new (Jesse)

JCleversley

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Jesse Cleversley
Yo. I’m new to the Sony system and to photography in general. I had a photo shoot this past Friday and a lot of my images were noisy because I had my shutter speed too high. I was reviewing images and assuming it was motion blur.

So I kept dialing up the SS. Lol. (Shooting manual with auto ISO)

I was nervous, the a6400 is a new camera to me, it was an overcast day and we stayed in a dim courtyard.

All my mistakes were apparent as soon as I got in the car and looked 😭.

That’s who I am as a photographer. A noob making noob mistakes. Only up from here.

Jesse
U.S.A. Georgia

Welcome, Jesse.
We all started somewhere, and some end up someplace else.
“No matter where you go, there you are.” The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension

Welcome.

High shutter speeds have no effect on noise. Using Auto-ISO and allowing it to go too high to compensate for high shutter speeds will cause noise.

Advice will vary, but mine is to put everything on that camera in manual, including ISO. Don't use P, A, or S. Use only M and learn to set everything yourself until you understand the relationship between Aperture, Shutter, and ISO. Experiment. Shoot the same image 10 different ways. Learn the camera's limitations.

This is going to take a lot longer than downloading settings from some influencer or ambassador, but it's going to serve you better in the long run.

I used the green “auto” everything for a day or two while I got used to the automatic focus stuff and dove into the menus. Also, you’re not going to run out of film, so try adjusting everything to see what it does. Have fun!

Yo. I’m new to the Sony system and to photography in general. I had a photo shoot this past Friday and a lot of my images were noisy because I had my shutter speed too high. I was reviewing images and assuming it was motion blur.

So I kept dialing up the SS. Lol. (Shooting manual with auto ISO)

I was nervous, the a6400 is a new camera to me, it was an overcast day and we stayed in a dim courtyard.

All my mistakes were apparent as soon as I got in the car and looked 😭.

That’s who I am as a photographer. A noob making noob mistakes. Only up from here.

Jesse
U.S.A. Georgia
To quote The Mandalorian: "This is the way" 😅
This is the way to learn, go out, make mistakes, and learn from them. Now you know next time what ISO values and shutter speeds do not look good and you will say "I will never do THAT again". This was me 3 years ago taking my brand new a6400 on a once in a lifetime trip to Japan; most of the shots were garbage :cry: but I learned from the experience.

Personally, I set my minimum and maximum ISO values so I can leave the ISO in Auto when I shoot manual. I rarely go above ISO 6400. What lens were you using?

Welcome aboard :cool:

Back