New to Sony

Barry

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Barry
Hi everyone. I have been a camera shooter for several decades. A couple of my shooting buddies (also Canon users) have made the switch to Sony. After laudits by them for the Sony line, I recently purchased an a7RIII and am getting to know it with the use (for now) of my Canon lenses and an adapter. The lenses appear to be opeating well with the body except perhaps for the speed of focusing, and for a possible bit of softness in the images. My plan is to have the a7RIII get to know me as I get to know it before acquiring a lens or two that don't require the adapter. I look forward to learning from this group, and to contribute. Barry

Welcome on board Barry.

Hi, welcome!

Welcome to the forum. I am also a convert from Canon to A7Riii, but didn't get an adaptor, I went straight to E-mount lenses.

Welcome!

Welcome to the forum. I am also a convert from Canon to A7Riii, but didn't get an adaptor, I went straight to E-mount lenses.
I have the Canon 16-35, 24-70, 100, 70-200, 300, and 2X converter and also still have a 5DIV. The current E-mount lenses I'm considering are the Tamron 35-150, Sony 100-400, and Sony 200-600.

Barry, you've made two good choices: camera and BBS. Welcome aboard.

Hi everyone. I have been a camera shooter for several decades. A couple of my shooting buddies (also Canon users) have made the switch to Sony. After laudits by them for the Sony line, I recently purchased an a7RIII and am getting to know it with the use (for now) of my Canon lenses and an adapter. The lenses appear to be opeating well with the body except perhaps for the speed of focusing, and for a possible bit of softness in the images. My plan is to have the a7RIII get to know me as I get to know it before acquiring a lens or two that don't require the adapter. I look forward to learning from this group, and to contribute. Barry
You can’t go wrong with GM Prime lenses.

I'll third that! :)

I'll third that! :)
I’m a newbie with this forum and am seeking how to write a new thread to ask a question. Perhaps I don’t have the authority to do so yet, or I just haven’t figured out to do so. Here is what I would like to post:

I’m considering purchasing the Sony FE 200-600 lens for my a7RIII. A salesperson at a local photo shop said that the lens worked great with the a7III but not as great with the R version. He thought that the 100-400 would give much better results with the R version than what the 200-600 lens provides. Aside from this being a possible upsell attempt, has anyone found his comments to ring true? I would prefer the longer reach of the 600 over the 100-400. Thank you.

I’m a newbie with this forum and am seeking how to write a new thread to ask a question. Perhaps I don’t have the authority to do so yet, or I just haven’t figured out to do so. Here is what I would like to post:

I’m considering purchasing the Sony FE 200-600 lens for my a7RIII. A salesperson at a local photo shop said that the lens worked great with the a7III but not as great with the R version. He thought that the 100-400 would give much better results with the R version than what the 200-600 lens provides. Aside from this being a possible upsell attempt, has anyone found his comments to ring true? I would prefer the longer reach of the 600 over the 100-400. Thank you.
Jeez, that sounds like horsecrap to me. That lens reviews very well. It's true the 100-400 is rated very high, but to say the 200-600 doesn't perform well on certain bodies sounds a bit hinky.

Here's a review from Ken Rockwell:

To answer your question, you start that thread the same way you started this one. Go to the Full Frame Lens section, hit the start new post button, and type away!

If you poke around here you will find lots of razor sharp in focus photos with the 200 - 600. And Rockwell is a good source.

Hate to disagree with you, but.... (a) KR is somewhat controversial in photography circles and there are many who do not consider him "a good source" at all. (b) As for the 200-600mm, yes, there was some discussion early-on about its compatibility with the A7R IV and some people did report issues. Some had no problems at all, while others definitely did. Various suggestions were made and tried, including not using a filter over the lens, and so on. I think the last firmware update that Sony did on the A7R IV may have resolved the issue. I haven't done that firmware, nor have I had any issues with my combo of the A7R IV and the 200-600mm, BUT I will say that I have noticed a difference when using that same lens with the A1. Then again, the A1 offers several major differences from the A7R IV so no surprise there.

Hate to disagree with you, but.... (a) KR is somewhat controversial in photography circles and there are many who do not consider him "a good source" at all. (b) As for the 200-600mm, yes, there was some discussion early-on about its compatibility with the A7R IV and some people did report issues. Some had no problems at all, while others definitely did. Various suggestions were made and tried, including not using a filter over the lens, and so on. I think the last firmware update that Sony did on the A7R IV may have resolved the issue. I haven't done that firmware, nor have I had any issues with my combo of the A7R IV and the 200-600mm, BUT I will say that I have noticed a difference when using that same lens with the A1. Then again, the A1 offers several major differences from the A7R IV so no surprise there.
This is good information, thanks.

I have as much faith in charts and graphs as I do in politicians. Even manufacturer's charts tend to stretch the truth. There are an awful lot of reviewers out there, not everyone agrees with all of them, and we all have our favorites. You can agree or disagree with what each of them say but it's difficult to disagree with photos. If I don't want to read the review, I will usually take a few minutes to at least scroll through sample images.

This is good information, thanks.

I have as much faith in charts and graphs as I do in politicians. Even manufacturer's charts tend to stretch the truth. There are an awful lot of reviewers out there, not everyone agrees with all of them, and we all have our favorites. You can agree or disagree with what each of them say but it's difficult to disagree with photos. If I don't want to read the review, I will usually take a few minutes to at least scroll through sample images.
Many thanks for the information. I've decided to determine the shop's return policy on the 200-600. If it is 30 days and 100 percent refund (not store credit), I'll pick it up and fully test it out on my 7RIII with long shots, closer shots, birds in flight, etc. I am hope it will give me positive results on that body.

Many thanks for the information. I've decided to determine the shop's return policy on the 200-600. If it is 30 days and 100 percent refund (not store credit), I'll pick it up and fully test it out on my 7RIII with long shots, closer shots, birds in flight, etc. I am hope it will give me positive results on that body.
I'm betting that some other members are going to chime in. I'm sure we have others with that Combo.

Welcome Barry and thanks for joining up. I've not heard of many people having issues with the a7R III + 200-600. There are quite a few who do have issues with the a7R IV + 200-600, but many more who don't. That said, it's still advisable to buy from somewhere that has a good returns policy and no re-stocking fee.

Back