Next Sony camera.

I'd like the fully articulating screen, improved touch menu and faster CFexpress Type A memory cards from the new a7S III. I'd also like to see animal eye af improved to cover more animals and with improved reliability, especially for fast action shots where it doesn't fair so well right now. From what I've seen of the Canon R5 their implementation of animal eye af looks better than Sony's right now.

Tracking in all focus modes with Animal Eye, no idea why it's not there as it is in Human Eye. Instant image playback on the monitor, I miss it from Nikon and the 2 second preview on the camera stops you being able to shoot. Other than that I find the RIV almost perfect for me.

CF express cards, focus stacking/ bracketing, A9 performance in a 30 MP body I appreciate the latter is probably stretching it too far insofar as technology is concerned

I have the A99ii and it's strange they never carried over the fully articulating screen to the E mount. Even the A77ii and A57 had one if memory serves me correct.

Considering how expensive the G SD cards are, CFx would be welcome. I need better performance and durability for the money. I didn't think I'd want one, but the articulating screen seems like a must-have now.

Considering how expensive the G SD cards are, CFx would be welcome. I need better performance and durability for the money. I didn't think I'd want one, but the articulating screen seems like a must-have now.

Give it 6 months and the card prices will tumble, they always do as newer cards come out. I would like one though, those big files on the RIV take time to write and you can't change a setting while it does.

Last edited:
This - make it APSC and have dual cards too ;)
CF express cards, focus stacking/ bracketing, A9 performance in a 30 MP body I appreciate the latter is probably stretching it too far insofar as technology is concerned

I have the A7iii and there’s not much on a wish list to be honest. higher resolution eye viewer and larger screen of course, focus stacking for landscape, full touch control, real time tracking, higher resolution photos, but nothing ground breaking there. The real thing is like though is a safety lock on the lens release button as I’ve managed to release the lens without even knowing I’d done it, with the inevitable fall to the ground on one occasion!

my finger position rests just where the release button is and it’s too light a press for my liking. I’m neurotic about it now lol!

I'm just waiting for the A1MkII to arrive with a slightly tweaked faster stacked sensor, the new upgraded viewfinder that doesn't drop resolution when focusing (like only the new A9III does as they fixed that). Needless to say the latest upgraded algorithms with the AI subject recognition focus chip the A7RV and A6700 have thus far. Perhaps a slight ergonomic shift to a less angular and more soft cornered ergonomic body design. That would get me to shell out for it.

I'm just waiting for the A1MkII to arrive with a slightly tweaked faster stacked sensor, the new upgraded viewfinder that doesn't drop resolution when focusing (like only the new A9III does as they fixed that). Needless to say the latest upgraded algorithms with the AI subject recognition focus chip the A7RV and A6700 have thus far. Perhaps a slight ergonomic shift to a less angular and more soft cornered ergonomic body design. That would get me to shell out for it.
Interested in your comment about losing resolution when focussing. I've never seen evidence of that, I doubt I'd notice. Can you expand on that?

It's been a known fact regarding the high resolution viewfinders used in the A1 and A7RV, that when shooting the resolution in the viewfinder drops from it's maximum down. I don't know the exact figure as to how much, just that it's no secret. If you do some research I'm sure you'll find it. It became more obvious when it was noted in various tests around the web that they fixed this issue with the new A9III as now it no longer drops resolution in the VF. If it doesn't bother you then don't worry about it.

Global shutter on the A9III so it wouldn't anyway. I really can't see how you'd notice shooting bursts and you'd have to be very picky to notice at all!

I think the next A7 series camera (V) will be interesting. Updated AF, etc. Not sure about what an A1MII would bring since the global shutter and 120FPS comes with certain trade offs that might not be acceptable for the A1 user (wildlife in particular). I'm happy with my kit right now interestingly enough.

I think the next A7 series camera (V) will be interesting. Updated AF, etc. Not sure about what an A1MII would bring since the global shutter and 120FPS comes with certain trade offs that might not be acceptable for the A1 user (wildlife in particular). I'm happy with my kit right now interestingly enough.
I don't think we will see another global shutter for a while, at least not from Sony.
As for the A1 II I think Sony themselves are struggling to find a way to make it appealing. They admitted ages ago they got it so right first time it's hard to follow. Tweeked AF and a few extras like pre focus maybe, and in camera stacking, as it seems to be gaining popularity. I can't see them increasing resolution, it would step on the RVs toes and also a stacked sensor at higher resolution is costly.

I don't think we will see another global shutter for a while, at least not from Sony.
As for the A1 II I think Sony themselves are struggling to find a way to make it appealing. They admitted ages ago they got it so right first time it's hard to follow. Tweeked AF and a few extras like pre focus maybe, and in camera stacking, as it seems to be gaining popularity. I can't see them increasing resolution, it would step on the RVs toes and also a stacked sensor at higher resolution is costly.
Yup. Either no resolution increase or some monster amount like 100MP. I would also expect a price of $7500 or so, which would keep it separate and well above the AR series in all respects. Most likely it'll stay 50MP because Sony has a tendency to use the same sensor over two iterations of a camera.

No global shutter.

New AI Chip, probably improved over the A7R V.

Faster processor. This is one place I think they will really put some effort. They will update the processor to a new model yet to be announced.

Pre capture, yes, but I can also see them adding that to the A1 firmware just to quiet the masses while we wait another year for the M2.

Some sort of stacking, hopefully like what's been discussed. The same as the R V but with the added option of a limited number of APS-C images stacked in-camera. (wait, if it's less than 20, is it really stacking? :unsure: ) :p

As for the A7 V, I expect it to be the same 33MP sensor for the same reason I expect the A1 M2 to have the same sensor. Updated AF with the AI chip and a $3,000 price tag. No pre-capture, no stacking, no pixel shift. Sony needs to maintain an entry-level FF camera, and the A7 series is it. Don't expect features from the A9/A1 to seep in.

This is interesting, since its a 4 yr old thread, I pretty much have the camera I wanted to upgrade to 4 yrs ago. Next one will be a full frame though. Maybe whatever A7C model they introduce 4 or 5 years from now.

All Sony has to do is update a A1MkII to include the AI chip with newer algorithms to firm those up. Add a slight improvement (like the A9III's) high rate faultless EVF, Pre Capture, High Rez multi frame capture and keep with a high speed stacked sensor and that alone would justify it coming to market. Hopfully they will temper their desire to overcharge for it as they did with the Mk1. Otherwise the competition coming will trounce it. Don't think for one minute Nikon or Canon are asleep at the wheel.

sony will wait to see what canon r1 rolls out in features and spec then trump it ,they probably already know ,from canon rumors it looks like they are developing a triple stacked sensor with incredible read out speeds ,similar to global but with out the dynamic range hit .So maybe faster read out on the next A1 and do away with the shutter ,add some nice features,pre capture 8k 60 ,improved Ai tracking ,probably stay with 50mp ,mabe new codecs from the sony burano ,a feature that olympus has that i would like across sony cameras is the artificial nd filters and graduated filters built in ,i am guessing that c f express A type 2 will be available also to help with more processing ,looks like the a9 body is near perfect now so i expect to see this across the range .What ever new cameras come it is becoming harder to justify upgrades if all you get is more fps and faster read outs ,unless the Rs come out with a 80-100mp sensor

sony will wait to see what canon r1 rolls out in features and spec then trump it ,they probably already know ,from canon rumors it looks like they are developing a triple stacked sensor with incredible read out speeds ,similar to global but with out the dynamic range hit .So maybe faster read out on the next A1 and do away with the shutter ,add some nice features,pre capture 8k 60 ,improved Ai tracking ,probably stay with 50mp ,mabe new codecs from the sony burano ,a feature that olympus has that i would like across sony cameras is the artificial nd filters and graduated filters built in ,i am guessing that c f express A type 2 will be available also to help with more processing ,looks like the a9 body is near perfect now so i expect to see this across the range .What ever new cameras come it is becoming harder to justify upgrades if all you get is more fps and faster read outs ,unless the Rs come out with a 80-100mp sensor
I held a disguised one in my hands last summer, was shooting with a Canon field tester. Sony is not going to wait for the R1, they are going to let the A9 run its course at the Olympics. While they may wait for the R1 release to steal Canon's thunder, they are not going to worry about trumping specs. That kind of thing takes a long time to develop. You can't wait to see someone else's specs then design/manufacturer in that short of time. By the time the camera gets to market the effect of 'trumping' would be long gone.

The A9 is no flagship camera where as a R1 most defiently will be ,what sony has to becareful of the appeal for the new R5 mk2 this will most likley be a cheaper but better specced camera than the A1 and more in line with nikons z8 ,sony has no cheap/budget high frame camera other than a used A9 either .In fact for most users the A9iii will not appeal it is a niche product .Sony knows what to do but like with A1 and A7s3 they have not kept it current with firmware and this reflects ,they would rather make a new camera with better specs .

The A9 is no flagship camera where as a R1 most defiently will be ,what sony has to becareful of the appeal for the new R5 mk2 this will most likley be a cheaper but better specced camera than the A1 and more in line with nikons z8 ,sony has no cheap/budget high frame camera other than a used A9 either .In fact for most users the A9iii will not appeal it is a niche product .Sony knows what to do but like with A1 and A7s3 they have not kept it current with firmware and this reflects ,they would rather make a new camera with better specs .
New firmware for both cameras you cite is due by the end of March, per Sony.

The A9III doesn't have to be a flagship camera. It has done exactly what Sony expected it to do, which is get everyone's attention. Nothing Canon is going to introduce, regardless of flagship 'status', will be able to compete on the same level for professional sports photographers. Sony really doesn't care whether you like it or not, that wasn't the intent. Other than a handful of people who must have the latest and greatest, the average photographer isn't their target.

This is what Sony support did at the Superbowl. Can you image what they will do at the Olympics?

A brief excerpt:

In addition to repair and cleaning support, Sony’s on-site presence at the Super Bowl included a massive haul of 145 high-end lenses and more than 50 new a9 III cameras.
DSC01432-800x534.jpg

Does that say A1? No. Flagship? Nope. It says A9III. That's what Sony cares about. They want to unseat Canon from the top choice for professional sports photographers.

People need to stop discounting Sony's A9III strategy with regard to Canon and Nikon. I think the A9III was a crap release for the vast majority, and I'd personally never own one. Sony doesn't care. They have other cameras for the rest of us.

sony will wait to see what canon r1 rolls out in features and spec then trump it

You can't wait to see someone else's specs then design/manufacturer in that short of time. By the time the camera gets to market the effect of 'trumping' would be long gone.

Somebody said that it takes minimum three to four years to develop a camera from spec to mass production. I can believe that. They also said that Sony knows exactly what they are going to do for at least ten years into the future! Whilst that is harder to get our heads around, I don't think it is impossible.

I'm sure there are tweaks along the way, but probably only very slight ones in the year or two before a camera hits the market.

I guess it is some kind of marketing tool to make us think we are buying something that is so new it was only thought of last week! :LOL:

And the internet, the rumours sites, etc, etc, really play along with that game. Trumping the competition? The manufacturers have set their paths.

It wouldn't surprise me if there is industrial espionage at a level that makes the likes of rumours sites look like the tea parties that they really are! And that the competitors are almost as aware of each others' plans as they are of their own. It's not as if they come out with stuff that leaves the others thinking, "Sheeesh, if only we'd even thought of that!" (I wonder, when was the last time that actually happened?).

There's only so much science and technology to go around. What they can compete/gamble on is which particular emphasis/presentation/pricing/etc is going to sell best.

Two comments to further your points:
They also said that Sony knows exactly what they are going to do for at least ten years into the future! Whilst that is harder to get our heads around, I don't think it is impossible.

Decades ago I read a trade magazine with an article about Sony. They stated that Sony already had the next big thing developed and ready to go, and knew exactly when they would release it. They are able to predict trends and the market so accurately they can squeeze every penny out of the current product before moving ahead with the next. The article mentioned the next thing would be digital music on something called a 'compact disc.' Yeah, those were developed by Sony and Phillips. And this is just Sony. What about Panasonic and other mega corporations?

It wouldn't surprise me if there is industrial espionage at a level that makes the likes of rumours sites look like the tea parties that they really are!

Yep. I've said before those rumor sites are actually in cahoots with the manufacturers in what amounts to a symbiotic relationship. He gets to make money off of their strategically released 'rumors', and they get more free advertising than they could ever buy.

I would like to see a stacked sensor camera NOT aimed at top end sports and wildlife photographers. There are a lot of event and wedding photographers, who like me love stacked sensor cameras but do not need 120 fps or even 30 fps. Something to rival the Z8 in price would be great. I do believe a 36mp stacked sensor camera with the shutter from the A1 allowing 1/400 flash sync in the body design of the A9III for around £4500 would out sell both the A1 and A9III. Lets call it the A8 :)

All Sony has to do is update a A1MkII to include the AI chip with newer algorithms to firm those up. Add a slight improvement (like the A9III's) high rate faultless EVF, Pre Capture, High Rez multi frame capture and keep with a high speed stacked sensor and that alone would justify it coming to market. Hopfully they will temper their desire to overcharge for it as they did with the Mk1. Otherwise the competition coming will trounce it. Don't think for one minute Nikon or Canon are asleep at the wheel.
Plus put it in the new body with the new rear screen. Upping the flash sync again would also be nice, 1/800 or 1/1000 would be amazing

Back