Not again another Sony a1/ a9iii debate should I buy, should I wait, does it fit my needs

spudhead

Legendary Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Gary
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry guys but yes another should I wait for the new a9iii or new a1 is painful for me, I have been hanging on with the original a9 and older cameras for some time now. The plan was to wait for the a9iii and hope it had more megapixels and maybe some usability for my older primes via adaptors that I dont get now. Well I am sick of waiting now and to be honest given the fact I have little enough time spare now for trips out, should I buy what is already here at possibly the lowest price it has been here in the Uk either bought here or more likely an imported version? So cruise season is around the corner and the boss has plans again to drag me kicking and screaming on board at least a couple of times this year. well obviously the perfect time to try to learn a new camera in between bar visits which I obviously keep to a minimum. Now what do we think of the a1 as it stands, or lacks, and what could they add going forward apart from higher cost which is a given. if it is just the AI crap I do not need or want it really, and the new a9iii where can that go, its focus is dam good now, the speed is all I need, so if I wait what am I likely to gain, and at what increased cost?
So given work is always going to be there even in so called retirement because it is a family affair, and the clock is ticking, and Sony just keep hanging on to see what the others do, what is the answer, I know others on here are in the same frame of mind right now, Sony really are dragging this out now. thoughts if you even care, Sorry in advance for the subject matter :)

Sorry guys but yes another should I wait for the new a9iii or new a1 is painful for me, I have been hanging on with the original a9 and older cameras for some time now. The plan was to wait for the a9iii and hope it had more megapixels and maybe some usability for my older primes via adaptors that I dont get now. Well I am sick of waiting now and to be honest given the fact I have little enough time spare now for trips out, should I buy what is already here at possibly the lowest price it has been here in the Uk either bought here or more likely an imported version? So cruise season is around the corner and the boss has plans again to drag me kicking and screaming on board at least a couple of times this year. well obviously the perfect time to try to learn a new camera in between bar visits which I obviously keep to a minimum. Now what do we think of the a1 as it stands, or lacks, and what could they add going forward apart from higher cost which is a given. if it is just the AI crap I do not need or want it really, and the new a9iii where can that go, its focus is dam good now, the speed is all I need, so if I wait what am I likely to gain, and at what increased cost?
So given work is always going to be there even in so called retirement because it is a family affair, and the clock is ticking, and Sony just keep hanging on to see what the others do, what is the answer, I know others on here are in the same frame of mind right now, Sony really are dragging this out now. thoughts if you even care, Sorry in advance for the subject matter :)
Should I buy an A73? I’d never be satisfied with that decision, mighty fine camera body that it is. Already in your possession is an A9. You can afford the luxury of waiting for the A93 to be released, at which point, you have twice as many options and at least two more price points with features to match.

I never follow my own advice.

There's always going to be something new just around the corner Gary :) You can currently pick up an A1 from Panamoz for £4550 or £5879 from Wex. The a9II is £3999 at Wex or £3270 at Panomoz. If Sony does release an A9 III it's going to have a price tag of at least £4500 at the official retailers and an A1 II could be pushing £7000! If you don't shoot video then you'll be paying extra for this with the A1 / A1 II, but perhaps you might want to shoot video in the future? The A9 Series has never been video focussed but who knows if that will change with the A9III. For wildlife the extra megapixels of the A1 are always nice to have. I can't image the a9 III will be over 30MP if it comes, that's if they increase it at all. If you get the A1 now you'll have a good few months of shooting to enjoy before our miserable winter arrives :)

There's always going to be something new just around the corner Gary :) You can currently pick up an A1 from Panamoz for £4550 or £5879 from Wex. The a9II is £3999 at Wex or £3270 at Panomoz. If Sony does release an A9 III it's going to have a price tag of at least £4500 at the official retailers and an A1 II could be pushing £7000! If you don't shoot video then you'll be paying extra for this with the A1 / A1 II, but perhaps you might want to shoot video in the future? The A9 Series has never been video focussed but who knows if that will change with the A9III. For wildlife the extra megapixels of the A1 are always nice to have. I can't image the a9 III will be over 30MP if it comes, that's if they increase it at all. If you get the A1 now you'll have a good few months of shooting to enjoy before our miserable winter arrives :)
pretty much My thinking now Tim, I do not need it but I guess they are not going to get much cheaper new here, and of course used prices are still really strong, so new has to be the way forward I guess :)

Should I buy an A73? I’d never be satisfied with that decision, mighty fine camera body that it is. Already in your possession is an A9. You can afford the luxury of waiting for the A93 to be released, at which point, you have twice as many options and at least two more price points with features to match.

I never follow my own advice.
Well I have the a73 and it a great little camera but is short on pixel count and rolling shutter issues and so on, I know Gaz what you are saying but as Tim points out below the new cameras could be some time away still, I personally never selling my old cameras anyway so the a9 would still be around:)

I hate these decisions. As Tim points out, the next best is always around the corner. But then I think to your response to several of these threads, which is: (paraphrased) What do you expect the new A9III will have that the A1 doesn't have now? IMO, Sony has to be very careful with the A9III so it doesn't subvert the product line or undermine the A1. I think a current A1 will still be a step up from the A9III, albeit without the new AF stuff, etc.

Does buying good used make sense for now? That would help keep something in reserve for when the A9III is released, just in case.

In any event, you deserve whatever you want to get.

Will the MP difference between the cameras make a significant difference in how you use your images?
Are there feature differences between with cameras that will make a difference?
Does the performance of your current camera cause you to miss an undesirable number of shots?
Do you just really have that itch to get a new camera?

The first question is really the reason I switched from an A9 to A7Riv as the crop factor made a huge difference for me. The second question, outside of the top end video features I don't think there is much difference between the A9 and A1 for stills that really justifies a switch. The third question, was the reason for the switch between the A7Riv and A1 but if the MP count wasn't as big a factor for me this would not have been a reason to switch from the A9 to A1 because though the AF in the A1 is better it is only a couple %. The AF in the A9 and A1 is so good that there really isn't much room for improvement. Finally the forth question is the most important, even if the other answers are all "No" or even "Hell NO!!!!", if this is yes then get a new camera.

For what its worth, I decided to sit tight and shoot my current cameras a bit longer. I'll tell you what it boiled down to; the AA filter that irks me on my A9II and the slight bit of reduction in sharpness. With the latest denoise tool in Lightroom and a bit more effort in processing, I've been far happier with my images. I also am fortunate to have an A7RV as well, which baring fast action has been fantastic and given me what I want in the IQ and AF performance areas. I'm gonna save my pennies, keep shooting these cameras, put the effort into getting up early, stalking good light / my subjects more carefully and then down the road when I'm ready to upgrade the $ will be in hand. Just hope the A9III pushes up from 24mp :)

Personally I’d choose a low mileage used A1. Some things that a few folks are clamoring for aren’t dealbreakers for me. My best shooting pal has an A7 R5 and even without the ai trained subject recognition I would much rather have all the benefits of a stacked sensor and the tracking of the A1 which imo is still better than the A7R5.

Focus stacking? Software does that for me. Focus breathing? Not a video guy.

A1 still rules even at two years old for my purposes at least. The back screen resolution is pretty sad and it’s not the best looking camera in the world but I still think it overall the best camera period. :)

Will the MP difference between the cameras make a significant difference in how you use your images?
Are there feature differences between with cameras that will make a difference?
Does the performance of your current camera cause you to miss an undesirable number of shots?
Do you just really have that itch to get a new camera?

The first question is really the reason I switched from an A9 to A7Riv as the crop factor made a huge difference for me. The second question, outside of the top end video features I don't think there is much difference between the A9 and A1 for stills that really justifies a switch. The third question, was the reason for the switch between the A7Riv and A1 but if the MP count wasn't as big a factor for me this would not have been a reason to switch from the A9 to A1 because though the AF in the A1 is better it is only a couple %. The AF in the A9 and A1 is so good that there really isn't much room for improvement. Finally the forth question is the most important, even if the other answers are all "No" or even "Hell NO!!!!", if this is yes then get a new camera.
MP increase will be nice, and I believe the a1 will allow me to use the lea-5 and the screw drive primes that are idol at the moment, Minolta 200 2.8 sharpest glass I have ever used, 300 2.8 apo sharper than the Sony 300 2.8 ssm I use now and the Minolta 400 4.5 super light super sharp and stunning colours, and last of all the sigma 500 4.5. Also I will keep the a9 anyway because I always keep my old cameras so if the a1 is a let down given prices here in the UK I would for sure get my money back if it was an import to the UK, the cost to import one is the same as a used one here, I am convincing myself yet?
Personally I’d choose a low mileage used A1. Some things that a few folks are clamoring for aren’t dealbreakers for me. My best shooting pal has an A7 R5 and even without the ai trained subject recognition I would much rather have all the benefits of a stacked sensor and the tracking of the A1 which imo is still better than the A7R5.

Focus stacking? Software does that for me. Focus breathing? Not a video guy.

A1 still rules even at two years old for my purposes at least. The back screen resolution is pretty sad and it’s not the best looking camera in the world but I still think it overall the best camera period. :)
So used is pointless here in the Uk we can import one all taxes paid 3 year warranty return to Sony repairs if needed for 4.5 k and that is what they are used here import or not:)

So used is pointless here in the Uk we can import one all taxes paid 3 year warranty return to Sony repairs if needed for 4.5 k and that is what they are used here import or not:)
Pretty sure I hate you now...

I hate it when you get like this Tim :)
You deserve it! :p

That's like, $900 less than I can buy if for here. I could catch a plane to England, buy the camera and return home for the same price. If I use it while I'm there (and why wouldn't I) it would be used, so no duty.

Hmm...I'll bet if I tied it into a vacation that included the wife I could make this happen!

When will you be home? I'll need a place to stay... 😁

Reading this makes me want to look for a second hand A1 body.

Something to save up for. Put that bottle of A’bunadh single malt back on the shelf Gaz.

You deserve it! :p

That's like, $900 less than I can buy if for here. I could catch a plane to England, buy the camera and return home for the same price. If I use it while I'm there (and why wouldn't I) it would be used, so no duty.

Hmm...I'll bet if I tied it into a vacation that included the wife I could make this happen!

When will you be home? I'll need a place to stay... 😁
It’s making the whole trip tax deductible!

MP increase will be nice, and I believe the a1 will allow me to use the lea-5 and the screw drive primes that are idol at the moment, Minolta 200 2.8 sharpest glass I have ever used, 300 2.8 apo sharper than the Sony 300 2.8 ssm I use now and the Minolta 400 4.5 super light super sharp and stunning colours, and last of all the sigma 500 4.5. Also I will keep the a9 anyway because I always keep my old cameras so if the a1 is a let down given prices here in the UK I would for sure get my money back if it was an import to the UK, the cost to import one is the same as a used one here, I am convincing myself yet?

The results you're getting with what you have now are excellent!

Don't tell him that! 😄

Tell him that the A1 will lift him to new levels! From world's best photographer, to the best photographer in the bloody solar system! 🥇
You could be right, but it didn't help me much!

Hi Gary, this is a photo of a wife Troll chocking her husband. the story as told to me was that she found out he had purchased a Sony A1 camera instead of taking her on a cruise. They argued all night and lost track of time. The sun came up and turned them to stone. I am not sure this story will help with your decision but I felt I should share it with you. Best!
_DSC4480-Enhanced-NR.jpg
  • DSC-RX100M5
  • 24-70mm F1.8-2.8
  • 25.7 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/2000 sec
  • ISO 1600

Hi Gary, this is a photo of a wife Troll chocking her husband. the story as told to me was that she found out he had purchased a Sony A1 camera instead of taking her on a cruise. They argued all night and lost track of time. The sun came up and turned them to stone. I am not sure this story will help with your decision but I felt I should share it with you. Best!View attachment 40268
Nice Clide but the cruises are set in stone and not really that much of a chore for me, the camera is not an issue beyond me buying the a1 and regretting it when the a9iii arrives, the a9 has and is a camera that surpassed my expectations :)

You just answered your own question.
Yes I know Tim seriously I bought the a7iii because I was told I did not need the a9 for wildlife it is aimed at sports, well the a7iii is a super little camera and I can do a lot with it but it is not an a9 the difference is night and day :)

I would wait - YMMV - I have a feeling something is about to happen

Don't give it further thought !!! .....Go for the A1, either used or new, dependant on your finanacial position. The A9II
is a good camera and has very good focus tracking but in using it without a teleconverter and using APS-C the file sizes are
limiting for cropping etc.

The A1 on the other hand has the extra FPS, has equal focus tracking etc and the extra resolution to provide for generous cropping
when needed. The option to use APS-C at the touch of a button and still have a generous +20MP image for printing or post processing
again is a very beneficial extra.

Life it too short, indulge your passion .......go for it while you can, as no one knows what tomorrow holds......

Nice Clide but the cruises are set in stone and not really that much of a chore for me, the camera is not an issue beyond me buying the a1 and regretting it when the a9iii arrives, the a9 has and is a camera that surpassed my expectations :)
As you probably guessed I was just using your thread as a way to use that photo. I go thru the same exercise about every other week concerning the A1, wait or buy now. I have the A74 which I really enjoy but I want that A1. I want that speed, resolution and that stacked sensor. For me I am waiting for the silly reason that I will not buy another camera without the rear multi-position flip screen and the new Sony autofocus features. In the meantime, I will continue to work on composition skills and build my glass inventory.

There is a way to avoid all this uncertainty! All the "should I?" / "shouldn't I?" All the "will it be cheaper?"...

If you are silly enough to pre-order a camera at the time of announcement, you have complete certainty:
  • you know you will be paying the highest price ever for the camera - it will be cheaper in the months to come
  • you know you will be waiting for it to arrive (admittedly, the wait these days is shorter)
  • you know you will be waiting for support of the camera in your favourite processing software
  • you know that the experts will be learning along with you, so no one really knows the answers to the problems you encounter
  • you even know that there will probably be some early glitch in the camera that must be discovered, worked around, sworn at, and eventually fixed
To a certain extent, I'm jealous: you know what you will be getting, and you'll be getting it off the shelf. All the major software supports it. And there is lots of advice available if you have difficulties.

All that said, I think it's a near certainty that I'll be ordering an A1 II on the night of the announcement. I can't really explain why - maybe I'm infected with an incurable case of susceptibility to Sony marketing? Or maybe it's the fault of all these forums and their joyous discussions of what might be the next big thing?

Fact is, the A1 is still the highest resolution stacked sensor camera available today, and it's still fast, effective, and silent (I still haven't tried the mechanical shutter in my A1 - they could have shipped mine without, and I wouldn't notice.

Should you move from the A9 to the A1? If you like to crop, it's the way to go. If you want to shoot uncompressed RAW at twice the frame rate, definitely (and you can use lossless compression to make the files smaller, too). And you'll get some bonuses, too, like the best EVF available.

If you don't crop, and don't have any problem with 24 megapixels; if you don't need uncompressed RAW faster than 10 frames / second; if you are getting what you need from the A9 - then don't buy a new camera. Wait and see what is announced. Assess the new features, and weigh them against what you have already. Oh, and don't forget to feel smug about your strength of will: resisting the siren song of the new and shiny!

My recommendation is to wait until @AlphaWorld has his A1ii and see how it does. that way you can avoid his 4th and 5th bullet points! :p

Back