ok A1 users and A1 potential owners, I and others on here need to know the good and the bad about the current A1

I believe , as i experience on my A1, that the issue is about some GM/G lenses having linear motors and third party or G lenses without, will not
provide for the maximum rated FPS.....there is a listing on this forum( ) which seems to provide which sony lenses provide for max FPS.

I'm not sure Sony's moral vision reaches out so far as to limit third party lens functionality for purely technical difference aspects versus the more engaging sales capture benefit such a limitation provides....

Yeah, I know the obvious explanation is "Use our lenses or don't get maximum speed" (which may well be part of it), but I was trying to suggest alternative explanations.

You could think of it as Sony not wanting to be liable if their camera drove a third party lens to destruction.

Or Sony not wanting a slew of complaints when a lens produced out of focus results when asked to run at maximum speed - I'm imagining the outcry: "Sony is sabotaging third party lens makers - they deliberately make them produce out of focus images at high speed!!!" - even if Sony explained that it's the lenses not keeping up with the camera, the conspiracy theorists would be loud and vocal (especially in the USA, land of lawsuits!).

I don't think either of those scenarios require a high moral standard of Sony - more like a bunch of lawyers wanting to avoid liability and bad publicity :-D

I do think it's going to be a much bigger issue with this camera - I'm running my A1 at 20fps because I use lossless RAW - 15fps is almost as fast. 120fps vs 15fps is a much bigger difference.

The good super camera well built ,controls very good ,super quick at obtaining focus ,very good focus accuarcy and tracking ,30fps /20fps depending if you want 14 bit or 13 bit very similar ,4k 120 and 8k ,very nice evf ,nice 50mp files large buffers low rolling shutter in e/s ,very good mechanical shutter ,great flash sync almost leaf shutter territory ,

The bad ibis is now a step behind competion and newer sonys ,rear screen is terrible most sonys are ,the a7r5 showed the way forward,subject detection is lacking compared to newer sonys and competition ,video tracking for non human subjects is painful to use in fact video focus is not the best on the A1 per se ,newer menus offer more ie more set options home page new ,later cameras offer features that the A1 should of had focus stacking,focus breathing comp ,subject detection in video (non human),maybe evf res should of stayed at 9 mil dot in continous shooting .more subject detection plane cars ,insects etc option to assign button for changing between 20fps lossless comp and 30 fps compressed,should have a choice of longer than 30 sec exposure with out using bulb mode ,there is probably more would lve longer battery life with out resulting to using battery grip,lacking firmware support for 3 years of any decent implementations ,if they add pre capture all is forgiven,

oh by the way the A7r5 is sonys bargain camera at moment £400/500 cash back at moment starting to be my main camera for the moment ,i also loved my a7r3

Back