bhphotography

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Bryan
Country
Canada
So after buying the Olympus dot-sight, I realized it was designed to fit a normal hotshoe, and not a Sony multi-function hotshoe. Even if you tighten down the clamp, it will still wobble left and right slightly, which was unacceptable to me.

Before the modification (it only goes in 2/3 of the way in and wobbles):

After modification (goes in fully, no wobble whatsoever):

So with a dremel, x-acto knives, and fine-grit sandpaper, I cut off the part where the Sony hotshoe is different than a normal hotshoe (because it gets narrower) on the dot sight mount, and the dot sight now fits perfectly and does not move even slightly. It still fits in a normal hotshoe as well. The springy metal pin I ended up cutting away to be flush with the bottom.

Material removed (pardon my messy work lol):

Attachments

• dot-sight_before_modification.jpg
    dot-sight_before_modification.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 83
  • dot-sight_after_modification.jpg
    dot-sight_after_modification.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 90
  • dot-sight_under.jpg
    dot-sight_under.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 102
  • dot-sight_under_cut.jpg
    dot-sight_under_cut.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 75
  • dot-sight_under_cut2.jpg
    dot-sight_under_cut2.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 90
Great write-up Bryan. Thanks for sharing this. I started using the Ulanzi PT-12 Aluminium Triple Cold Shoe mount to firm up the dot sight, as this has the tapered edges so it fits better. Although the sight still needed a little tape to eliminate all of the wobble. I should probably buy a dremel!

Thank you for taking the time to share!!! what is the silver pin in the front of the mod for???

The metal pin is spring-loaded and normally just fits into a dimple that exists on a hotshoe.

It's an extra bit of security for the device you're putting into the hotshoe. I think it's there in case the clamping mechanism fails so there's at least something else keeping the device from slipping out of the hotshoe on its own (albeit not very strongly).

I removed it just in case it was getting in the way.

The Nikon dot sight tightens down without wobble on the A1 so no modifications necessary. I normally use it to speed target acquisition with the prime Nikon 800mm +1.25TC@1000mm but have not used it in anger with the A1 as the Sony 600mm f4 hasn't arrived yet. I don't know if I'll need it on the Sony until I see if the image quality with a 600mm +2.0TC@1200mm is good enough for me to use.

Back