One argument for wider DoF at the expense of bokeh.

garuda

Well Known Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Mike
City/State
Illinois
This is a cropped tight closeup that has NO enhancement, no DeNoise, nor any post at all. It was shot with a 7Riv, 135 1.8 GMaster, at iso 100 and f4. By following the conventional recommended theories expressed by the alpha pros (ie.: Sony guru Mark Galer, et al; f1.2-1.8 for max bokeh), but I judge this shot I took today totally unacceptable because of shallow DoF when one eye is near-perfect focus, but the other is quite soft.

Admittedly, I’m not against bokeh at all, but I’m going back my old go-to f-stops of 7-11 for portraits. Regardless of angle of face-to-camera, I prefer the whole head (or at least face) in full focus w a tighter aperture.

_DSC04290 DoF Too Shallow.jpg

Last edited:
There are different styles of portrait, and a different depth of field is one of the things that changes between styles.

I don’t think I would normally use f/7 to f/11 unless I were using flash, or shooting a crowd. I might well use f/4 but I suspect I would be further away than you must have been to get this effect. How close were you?

.... I don’t think I would normally use f/7 to f/11 unless I were using flash, or shooting a crowd......
According to DOF calculator for a7Riv & 135 1.8 GM:

35mm Full-Frame @ 135mm f/1.8 at 6-feet gives DOF = .03 inches (50% front/50% behind)
35mm Full-Frame @ 135mm f/5.6 at 6-feet gives DOF = 1.0 inch (49% front/51% behind)
35mm Full-Frame @ 135mm f/11.0 at 6-feet gives DOF = 2.0 inches (48% front/52% behind)

At f/11 the one-inch behind the left eye likely would have put right eye in nearly same focus as left at this angle to lens; I prefer both eyes.
Does this calculation sound correct? And I do often use flash.

Sounds right.

Also, f/11 would mean you are getting diffraction effects (there are arguments - some say diffraction starts as early as f/5.6, others say f/8), which adds to the confusion.

Several seemingly credible sources claim that f/8 is the real diffraction "sweet spot." But I haven't done much research on this. So who knows?

Back