Name
Ralph Ernesti
Country
Australia
City/State
Mildura
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Well with a little luck these could very well be the last shots out of the A7ii.
I think I am getting the Sony A7iii.If it all goes well that is what you should see by the end or very early next week.
So with that in mind these are what I got over the road and it as so cold that I think even the ducks didn't like it.
Pigeon, Grebe, Purple Swamphen, House Sparrow, Welcome Swollow, Australian Magpie and Pacific Black Duck.
RVE09731.JPG
  • ILCE-7M2
  • 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS | Contemporary 020
  • 400.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/6400 sec
  • ISO 1250
RVE09751.JPG
  • ILCE-7M2
  • 348.2 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/2000 sec
  • ISO 800
RVE09779.JPG
  • ILCE-7M2
  • 400.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/2000 sec
  • ISO 250
RVE09785.JPG
  • ILCE-7M2
  • 400.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/2000 sec
  • ISO 200
RVE09843.JPG
  • ILCE-7M2
  • 400.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/80 sec
  • ISO 100
RVE09855.JPG
  • ILCE-7M2
  • 400.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/250 sec
  • ISO 100
RVE09861.JPG
  • ILCE-7M2
  • 400.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/80 sec
  • ISO 100

I like the pic of the purple swamphen, it grabbed my attention as I was scrolling by, perhaps because of how its plumage contrasted with its environment.

I like the pic of the purple swamphen, it grabbed my attention as I was scrolling by, perhaps because of how its plumage contrasted with its environment.
Thanks for that and it what made me look at it and the thing stayed while I walked closer so I was happy.

I was originally going to start with an A72 but wound up with an A73. Somewhere I have a list of differences between these two cameras but I wsill say that there are significant upgrades on the A 73, as I'm sure you know. I think that in the Alpha line of Cameras, the A73 offers a lot of "Bang for the Buck". Enjoy your new camera.

I was originally going to start with an A72 but wound up with an A73. Somewhere I have a list of differences between these two cameras but I wsill say that there are significant upgrades on the A 73, as I'm sure you know. I think that in the Alpha line of Cameras, the A73 offers a lot of "Bang for the Buck". Enjoy your new camera.
A few things need to fall into place yet but I think its a formality now.
I have look through a few things and the A7iii seems to be a far better stand out for me.
And being brand new I will with all things pointing right be able to have this camera for a good many long years.

I am expecting a few teething problems but they will be down to me. I am hoping I can get to do back button focus with it
but will not be at a loss if I can't. I did read or see somewhere it has the animal eye thing. And if its there in some form I will be the winner.
We got the last email last night asking if this is what we want as we went with a 2 year full replacement.
This is safer for me to have with my stability problems. And I do like the duel card slots.

Once I have it I will know more but one thing I will need to do is get another battery as the ones from the A7ii will not fit as I think I have worked out.
This is a shame even just to get me over the line for now.
But I will get a vertical battery grip and then I should be able to go out all do and full day out bush and not change the batteries 2 times
which is 4 batteries on my good days out.

I do have a power pack so I will be able to charge the battery as I am walking about.
So roll on when it get here as then its learning time again.

1) A single of the new A7iii NP-FZ100 bateries will outlast 2 of the older A7ii bateries.
2) Go for the batery grip only if you shoot portrait orientation for long stretches (mostly sports with humans standing vertical, surf, basketball, dance, etc), otherwise just buy another NP-FZ100 batery with the grip money.
3) seriously consider waiting for the A7M4 instead: resolution bump (A7M3 will give you none) wich also translates in more reach out of your tele-lenses if you shot in APS-C mode (unusable on A7M3), better rolling shutter (A7M3 has severe rolling shutter) will allow you to use electronic shutter a lot more often (thus saving mechanical shutter lifespan and being quieter - no birds disturbed by shutter noise), A7M3 has dual card slots but one of them is very slow so if you plan to shoot redundant you will be seriously buffered down.
3.1) A7M4 will have the new menus, A7M3 is still stuck with the very confusing menus.
3.2) A7M3 has animal eye-AF but NOT bird eye-AF, A7M4 might have bird eye-AF.

Last edited:
Afonso Santos in spite of what you have said this is going through on insurance and with they you take it when it there or miss out.
I can't say well if you hold on there is a new camera coming out. They just don't work that way here.
The vertical grip is going to be bought as I like them on my camera's and make they feel right.
I don't do any of what you have said but I have gone through 4 batteries on a birding outing so 'even with the larger
life span of the new battery. On the days when things are go it will not last the day out but with the grip I will stand a better chance
of staying out all day long..
As I did mention I can't wait for the next one to come out and I will adapt to the new one even with what you have said.
And I am sure I will make all the adjustments to that and to me for it to work out okay or why would so many other still have this camera.
The menu of the A series And I have got through it okay on the A7ii so I can't really see that the next one being so much more.
The AF would be nice but if its not there I have done without it so far so it will be nothing to to miss now as I have not got it now.
Making it up to me to work my way around it. I have had a Sony camera and like them and have worked my way through the menu's okay
so this isn't going to make me miss any sleep over it.
Thanks for your info all the same but I am sure I will cope when it comes along,

A few things need to fall into place yet but I think its a formality now.
I have look through a few things and the A7iii seems to be a far better stand out for me.
And being brand new I will with all things pointing right be able to have this camera for a good many long years.

I am expecting a few teething problems but they will be down to me. I am hoping I can get to do back button focus with it
but will not be at a loss if I can't. I did read or see somewhere it has the animal eye thing. And if its there in some form I will be the winner.
We got the last email last night asking if this is what we want as we went with a 2 year full replacement.
This is safer for me to have with my stability problems. And I do like the duel card slots.

Once I have it I will know more but one thing I will need to do is get another battery as the ones from the A7ii will not fit as I think I have worked out.
This is a shame even just to get me over the line for now.
But I will get a vertical battery grip and then I should be able to go out all do and full day out bush and not change the batteries 2 times
which is 4 batteries on my good days out.

I do have a power pack so I will be able to charge the battery as I am walking about.
So roll on when it get here as then its learning time again.
A couple of points:
1. I use nothing but Back Button Focus on my A73. A fellow who goes by BoxheadMike is really into the A73 and that is where I setup my camera for BBF. You can find him here. Look for his short tutorial on Back Button Focus.

2. Yes on Animal Eye.

3. I doubt you will use a battery in a day. Phenomenal battery life!

4. Have fun with the new camera.

A couple of points:
1. I use nothing but Back Button Focus on my A73. A fellow who goes by BoxheadMike is really into the A73 and that is where I setup my camera for BBF. You can find him here. Look for his short tutorial on Back Button Focus.

2. Yes on Animal Eye.

3. I doubt you will use a battery in a day. Phenomenal battery life!

4. Have fun with the new camera.
Thank you to your top answer and I have got BBF on the Sony RX10M4 and it works well on this one.
I put it on the Sony A7ii and my results were where are the little birds. I just couldn't find them.
While I was out I reset the camera back to normal focus and this worked better.

To hear you say that BBF will work on the Sony A7iii makes me happy as I feel this is a better way of focusing
With the battery life I have been known to go over board with it but this I know I will work out even further once its in my hands.
And wow my quick read did read it right with the Animal eye focus.
I will be one very happy person once I have it and I am playing and learning it.
You information has been so good.

Back