Packing a hospital bag (newborn photography)

FowlersFreeTime

Legendary Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Chris
Country
United States
City/State
Pembroke Pines/FL
I know at least Webmaster Tim knows my situation; but has anyone ever brought their camera with them to the hospital when expecting a baby? Not planning to film a delivery or anything like that (our hospital doesn't allow it anyway), no I mean to take some photos once the little one is born and (if the wife feels up for it) maybe our first family portrait to share with immediate family. We are expecting to head to hospital next week, if not sooner!

Here's what photography gear I plan to add to my hospital backpack:
Camera: A6400
Lenses: Tamron 17-70 f2.8, Sony 35 f1.8
Tripod: Peak Design travel tripod
other: remote for camera, lens cloth, blower.

I don't think I will want to bring a flash (not good for baby's eyes, and will certainly piss off my wife lol); so I plan to rely on wider aperture and higher ISO. Besides, I have no idea what the light situation will be.

Thoughts?

I know at least Webmaster Tim knows my situation; but has anyone ever brought their camera with them to the hospital when expecting a baby? Not planning to film a delivery or anything like that (our hospital doesn't allow it anyway), no I mean to take some photos once the little one is born and (if the wife feels up for it) maybe our first family portrait to share with immediate family. We are expecting to head to hospital next week, if not sooner!

Here's what photography gear I plan to add to my hospital backpack:
Camera: A6400
Lenses: Tamron 17-70 f2.8, Sony 35 f1.8
Tripod: Peak Design travel tripod
other: remote for camera, lens cloth, blower.

I don't think I will want to bring a flash (not good for baby's eyes, and will certainly piss off my wife lol); so I plan to rely on wider aperture and higher ISO. Besides, I have no idea what the light situation will be.

Thoughts?
Wow exciting time ahead congratulations…
I know in the UK it’s possible because my daughter had my first and second grandsons and her partner took photos to send to me, they where taken right after the clean up 😊

Hi Chris, congratulations to you and your wife when the new arrival comes.

F or me the 35mm f1.8 should serve you well for Mum/Dad and Newborn group photos from a distance,
although i wouldn't get too close as the wider apertures can distort. That said your 17-70 f2.8 at the
long end should serve you well for portraits or tighter group photos as long as the local lighting isn't too
low.

You might consider taking a flash as back-up and if you can turn it to bounce it off the ceiling or wall you
would avoid direct flash lighting in the babies eyes and lift the local ambient illumination to overcome any
f2.8 limitations....always assuming the wife can be pursueded.....

These are my comments , maybe some of our forum portrait shooters might want to advise alternatively.

Well, thanks for the feedback everyone. As it turned out, the hospital trip was too hectic and the recovery room too crowded to do any serious photography. The little one was born after about 36 hrs of inducing, including 3 hours of actual, active labor. Then she was put on light therapy for jaundice and our recovery room was tiny. All in all we spent 4 days in the hospital!

So to make a long story short, I should have just packed the camera and a compact lens, or made do with my cellphone camera. It seems that any fast glass in the 35-50mm range (speaking in full frame equivalent) would have been sufficient. Flash, tripod, filters, spare batteries all could have stayed home. Oh well, you live and learn!

DSC01873.jpg
  • E 17-70mm F2.8 B070
  • 41.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.7999999523163
  • 1/80 sec
  • ISO 1600
^ UV Light therapy involved the little one laying on a flexible LED panel and being bundled up for almost her entire hospital stay.

And here she is ready to bring home!
DSC01912_1x1.jpg
  • E 17-70mm F2.8 B070
  • 25.0 mm
  • ƒ/3.2000000476837
  • 1/40 sec
  • ISO 200

Sorry I missed this thread earlier Chris. So glad that all went well. The birth of a child is certainly an experience you don’t forget quickly and then you are thrown into the deep end especially with your first. We hadn’t got a clue what to do but stumbled through 🙂 I just took my iPhone to keep things simple and it let me share the photos with friends and family quicker. Congrats again and good luck with your first few days, it does get easier!

Back