Panasonic launches G9II. 25MP, 60FPS with electronic shutter and continuous AF, 75FPS in single focus mode.

Brownie

Legendary Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Tim
Country
United States
City/State
SE Michigan
PDAF (finally), and in the same body as their FF S5II. I'll be interested to see if the new processor/sensor combination does anything to address noise and DR.

The sensor’s fast readout and the G9 II’s increased processing power enables burst shooting with continuous autofocus at up to 60 frames per second. This requires the user to be in SH60 mode, which requires using the camera’s electronic shutter. With fixed focus, the G9 II can shoot even faster, reaching 75 fps.

Last edited:
8 stops of IBIS.

Panasonic is also announcing a new 100-400 that plays with TCs. Both of these products had been discontinued recently, along with the 35-100 (70-200)

G9II + new 100-400 + new TC = 1600mm, with 8 stops of IBIS, 60 FPS AF-C and PDAF (more likely hybrid coupled with their DFD Contrast detect)?

Sounds like fun!

Very interesting. Moving to M43 would be nice on the shoulders.

The sensor’s fast readout and the G9 II’s increased processing power enables burst shooting with continuous autofocus at up to 60 frames per second. This requires the user to be in SH60 mode, which requires using the camera’s electronic shutter. With fixed focus, the G9 II can shoot even faster, reaching 75 fps.

When using the mechanical shutter or electronic front curtain shutter, the G9 II tops out at 14 frames per second with AF-S and 10 fps when using AF-C.
I'd have to see how the rolling shutter works but also if there is something in between of the 10/14 and 60/75 fps. Also since this isn't a stacked sensor would need to see if there is rolling shutter or if because it is so small it doesn't need to be stacked.

Very interesting. Moving to M43 would be nice on the shoulders.

I'd have to see how the rolling shutter works but also if there is something in between of the 10/14 and 60/75 fps. Also since this isn't a stacked sensor would need to see if there is rolling shutter or if because it is so small it doesn't need to be stacked.
I had the G9. 20FPS was available on the electronic shutter.

I think the key is the size. It's how they get 8 stops of IBIS and such fast shutter speeds. When you only have 25% of the real estate as FF, things move a lot faster.

The biggest issue for me is low noise. It's why I probably won't move toward a Nikon and why M-4/3 is pretty much out for me. I expect this to be better due to new technology, but still limited in high ISO shooting. One review has already said that above 1600 is iffy. That doesn't even get close for me.

We do need to remember that the current reviews are all people who were given one before the release so their reviews would be ready to go, and they don't yet have the final firmware, so it should get better. I could shoot the G9 around 3000 without too much trouble, this one should be better. Still...

Awww look at the little bubba sensor :D
It's an interesting M43 I guess, and the extra resolution is what a lot have been after, but rolling shutter will be an issue, and, as Tim says, noise at high ISO.

Handheld muti-shot mode for HDR 100MP images. Pre-burst up to 1-1/2 seconds to get the shot before the shot. One thing I've always liked about M-4/3 is their neato features.

The biggest issue for me is low noise. It's why I probably won't move toward a Nikon and why M-4/3 is pretty much out for me. I expect this to be better due to new technology, but still limited in high ISO shooting. One review has already said that above 1600 is iffy. That doesn't even get close for me.
True but kind of expected when you have something that is like an 80mp FF sensor. The noise on my A7Riv is more noticeable than what my A9 had or my A1 has at the same ISO.
I would like to get some RAW files to see what the denoise programs can do because what was an issue in the past is less of one today.

True but kind of expected when you have something that is like an 80mp FF sensor. The noise on my A7Riv is more noticeable than what my A9 had or my A1 has at the same ISO.
I would like to get some RAW files to see what the denoise programs can do because what was an issue in the past is less of one today.
It's also the reason I have yet to jump to the A7R IV, R V, or A1. The A7 IV and R III both have superior low light, something that I seem to need more than I thought. I'd consider an A7III just to gain another half stop in DR if it weren't for the drop in MP.

It's also the reason I have yet to jump to the A7R IV, R V, or A1. The A7 IV and R III both have superior low light, something that I seem to need more than I thought. I'd consider an A7III just to gain another half stop in DR if it weren't for the drop in MP.
nothing wrong with the a7iii Tim I still have mine although I tend not to move cameras on and for what trade in might be it not worth bothering, mp can be overrated, and yes I did just say that

nothing wrong with the a7iii Tim I still have mine although I tend not to move cameras on and for what trade in might be it not worth bothering, mp can be overrated, and yes I did just say that
Still don't want to drop below 33. If the A9III isn't all that and a bag of chips, I may just get another M4.

What do you feel is too high of an ISO? With the A1 you need to be in some pretty low light as I can generally get usable photos out of an ISO of 8000 after denoise processing. I haven't always found that the charts are a great indicator for what actually is usable and prefer to wait to see actual test shots. Even then the denoise software can make what they say is poor into pretty good.

I cap my ISO at 8000 like this. I wouldn't say this a gallery quality work but this on a calendar look fine.
Mallard - Brandywine - 03052023 - 11- DN.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS (SEL100400GM)
  • 400.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/4000 sec
  • ISO 8000

Still don't want to drop below 33. If the A9III isn't all that and a bag of chips, I may just get another M4.

you are still only looking at the mp that is only one factor

What do you feel is too high of an ISO? With the A1 you need to be in some pretty low light as I can generally get usable photos out of an ISO of 8000 after denoise processing. I haven't always found that the charts are a great indicator for what actually is usable and prefer to wait to see actual test shots. Even then the denoise software can make what they say is poor into pretty good.

I cap my ISO at 8000 like this. I wouldn't say this a gallery quality work but this on a calendar look fine.
View attachment 46744
I shoot at 12800 regularly. The Mk 4 seems to have a sweet spot around 8000, but I can get away with 16000 if I'm careful.

you are still only looking at the mp that is only one factor
I shoot at 12800 regularly. The Mk 4 seems to have a sweet spot around 8000, but I can get away with 16000 if I'm careful.
a9 upper limit 12800 and can also also push ev and get away with it dependent on back ground

a9 upper limit 12800 and can also also push ev and get away with it dependent on back ground
It's about cropping. I can't crop to 1 or 2 MP like we do to display on here. That may be fine for the internet and phones, but not for prints. 8 x 10 and 11 x 14 are pretty common, sometimes 16 x 20. I can't worry about someone seeing an image they want to print and then having to tell them it's too small for the size they want. Worse yet, if they buy the digital file once it leaves here I have no control over what they do. I try to keep the files around 26MP at the smallest if I think there's even a chance someone will want it so I don't have to worry. That's fairly close to 6250 pixels on the long side, bigger than a 24MP file starts at.

If I were shooting sports or racing for a printed or digital magazine, I'd have no problem with 24MP or less. I have a 16 x 20 print made from an 18MP image and it looks ok, but I had full control over the process.

It's about cropping. I can't crop to 1 or 2 MP like we do to display on here. That may be fine for the internet and phones, but not for prints. 8 x 10 and 11 x 14 are pretty common, sometimes 16 x 20. I can't worry about someone seeing an image they want to print and then having to tell them it's too small for the size they want. Worse yet, if they buy the digital file once it leaves here I have no control over what they do. I try to keep the files around 26MP at the smallest if I think there's even a chance someone will want it so I don't have to worry. That's fairly close to 6250 pixels on the long side, bigger than a 24MP file starts at.

If I were shooting sports or racing for a printed or digital magazine, I'd have no problem with 24MP or less. I have a 16 x 20 print made from an 18MP image and it looks ok, but I had full control over the process.
Answered your own question then you need to just splash out on an a1 its got mp, frame rate , and if focus is like the a9 you have to be a half wit to miss focus, it will track fine and if you wait for new one it might even tell what a car looks like, which I guess is for the half wits that can still miss focus with such a camera ;)

Answered your own question then you need to just splash out on an a1 its got mp, frame rate , and if focus is like the a9 you have to be a half wit to miss focus, it will track fine and if you wait for new one it might even tell what a car looks like, which I guess is for the half wits that can still miss focus with such a camera ;)
Actually, what I 'need' is an A7R III sensor/frame rate in an A7 IV body with the A7R V focus, in case I can't tell what a car or train looks like.

Do you think Sony will make me one? :unsure:

Actually, what I 'need' is an A7R III sensor/frame rate in an A7 IV body with the A7R V focus, in case I can't tell what a car or train looks like.

Do you think Sony will make me one? :unsure:
What will happen when you 2 cars a train in the same frame, s---t will hit the fan then, I cannot see how anything other than Alexa going sort that s--t mate, what a load of ---p

Saw some early results, noisy. They seem to have improved it from 200-800, but not above. Everyone is saying to wait for the final firmware. That may help, but it isn't going to rescue that kind of noise.

Back