Locked up
33A547C7-82FD-458F-917C-4D4DAE9AC4D3.jpeg
  • ILCE-7M3
  • E 28-75mm F2.8-2.8
  • 28.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 100

Old Forts frequently scream B&W. Lots of concrete, and black and white paint. Because of this they can also be fun ones for selective color. Sometimes a bright green plant or one with a flower will be growing out of a crack in a grey concrete wall. This and the following are from Fort Morgan, Alabama at the opening to Alabama Bay.
FortMorganHallwayB&W.jpg
  • ILCE-6000
  • 1/160 sec
  • ISO 200

More Fort Morgan. FYI: Shot with a Meike MK-EW77 12mm f/2.8 manual lens. I bought this lens for doing star fields and Milky Way shots but it's turned out to be a wonderful daytime lens. I got hooked on these old forts years ago. There are several back in my home state of Washington and I loved shooting them in B&W. Lots of texture in the decaying structure and old paint. Doorways, passageways, walls and stairs are a favorite.
FortMorganDoorwayB&W.JPG
  • ILCE-6000
  • 1/160 sec
  • ISO 1600

Caught this image of the Sandman logo atop one of their vineyards above the Douro River on our way to Villa Real, Portugal. It was a misty morning so black and white, and I like the graininess.
20231003-DSC08366-Edit.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 70-200mm F4 Macro G OSS II + 1.4X Teleconverter
  • 207.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/1600 sec
  • ISO 25600

Epiphany at La Boqueria Market, Barcelona.

A7C09693 (1).jpg
  • ILCE-7C
  • FE 40mm F2.5 G
  • 40.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/40 sec
  • ISO 320

Ok, tell the truth. Did you
  • come upon it
  • stage it
  • or wait for it to happen?
Top drawer stuff there Alex!

Thanks! I was on my way to a museum nearby and I just noticed that woman in white standing right in the light... And quickly took the shot before the moment was gone. That there was a man in black in the distance was a happy coincidence that I noticed later.

Good thing about a prime lens is that it's easier to point and shot, and once you get used to its focal length, you frame by instinct. In street photography you don't get a second opportunity most of the time...

Thanks! I was on my way to a museum nearby and I just noticed that woman in white standing right in the light... And quickly took the shot before the moment was gone. That there was a man in black in the distance was a happy coincidence.

Good thing about a prime lens is that it's easier to point and shot. In street photography you don't get a second opportunity.
The table at the far end is intriguing. Why is it there? Why one table in that long, narrow space? You immediately notice the woman in the light, but the table draws your attention to the far end, and that's when you notice the man. It all comes together. Get it printed and framed.

The table at the far end is intriguing. Why is it there? Why one table in that long, narrow space? You immediately notice the woman in the light, but the table draws your attention to the far end, and that's when you notice the man. It all comes together. Get it printed and framed.

There's a café over there. It's not a narrow space, actually it's a portico with many bars, but from my perspective the arches and columns can't be seen as I was in the street and the front façade has a Dunkin Donuts or something. That pattern of light in the floor is thanks to the arches of the portico.

I was just considering this afternoon that I should check where to get prints of some pictures... Really appreciate your comment!

Last edited:
Late Autumn afternoon stroll on the golf course. Light made for some interesting shadows on these tee boxes.
20231129-DSC00434-2.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM5
  • FE 70-200mm F4 Macro G OSS II
  • 70.0 mm
  • ƒ/13
  • 1/1250 sec
  • ISO 4000

I don't do B&W so I thought this might be okay.
These are what I use to do my focus test from time to time.
So I named them after us Ralph and the shorter one Trisha after the wife.
Ralph & Trisha 11-01-2024 (1) - Copy.jpg

Back