Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Liza Rock
Country
United States
Hello everyone!
I'm a macro photographer and especially love to capture praying mantids and jumping spiders. Here is my first post.

The Hidden Beauty
This is an adult female Asian Ant Mantis (Odontomantis planiceps). Measuring at only 2cm when fully grown it is easy to miss how beautiful she is! I had to bust out the camera to really appreciate this small yet stunning mantis. During the first few instars these mantids are very quick and look like little black ants, hence the common name. Batesian mimicry at it's finest (a form of mimicry where a harmless species has evolved to imitate the warning signals of a harmful species directed at a predator of them both)!
-----------------------------------------
3 shots stacked - Sony A7RII - Canon mp-e 65mm macro lens - Yongnuo YN-24EX - f/11 - 1/160s - ISO 100

p9c4gphu.jpeg

Hello everyone!
I'm a macro photographer and especially love to capture praying mantids and jumping spiders. Here is my first post.

The Hidden Beauty
This is an adult female Asian Ant Mantis (Odontomantis planiceps). Measuring at only 2cm when fully grown it is easy to miss how beautiful she is! I had to bust out the camera to really appreciate this small yet stunning mantis. During the first few instars these mantids are very quick and look like little black ants, hence the common name. Batesian mimicry at it's finest (a form of mimicry where a harmless species has evolved to imitate the warning signals of a harmful species directed at a predator of them both)!
-----------------------------------------
3 shots stacked - Sony A7RII - Canon mp-e 65mm macro lens - Yongnuo YN-24EX - f/11 - 1/160s - ISO 100

View attachment 350
terrific detail ,

Wonderful image, I really like the colors and detail. Very well done !!!

Mike

Lovely picture. Can you explain to me please how you stack images, and when you take the pictures, do you focus on 3 different bits of the insect? Sorry if this is a daft question - I've just recently got my 90mm lens and so am very new to macro. Thanks. 🔍 I also really like your photo signature lol - do you know what the name of the font is please?

Back