Wallner Oliver
A7403885_result.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • 85mm F1.4 DG DN | Art 020
  • 85.0 mm
  • ƒ/1.4
  • 1/250 sec
  • ISO 1600
I have the cam now for about a week and did some outdoor tests with it.
First the cam is quite Ok!!-but there are a few things i have to critizise.
The ISO from 1600 up is way more bad than my A7riii, that´s crap...
The batterylife (just stills no vids) is bad too-i did about 600 shotz with one battery.
The third point is strange.
There is a problem with dof shots near the ground-the colour on the sharp parts is strange.
Does anyone have this problem too?

DSC02745-2.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 35mm F1.4 GM
  • 35.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/20 sec
  • ISO 640

Hi. To address each point...

1. ISO above 1600 is very very acceptable IF you get exposure right. The resolution of the RIV is unforgiving of underexposure, and this always creates noise on any camera, but is shown more with 61mp. I find over exposing a little helps, but better if you get it as close to spot on as possible. I've shots at 10k ISO that look great. I find pattern metering to be the most accurate too, though for your subject here I would probably have used centre weighted.
2. Battery life is not an issue depending on weather and what settings you are using for auto power off, bluetooth, wifi etc. I will get over 1000 shots on a battery in normal, mild conditions, less if it's cold (which is known thing for all batteries), My auto power off is set to 2 minutes, bluetooth and wifi are off unless I'm shooting landscapes using imaging edge. Give the batteries are full deplete and recharge, they will be fine.
3. Your issue with colour is two-fold, the first being the exposure, and the second DOF. f1.4 and f4 offer no DOF for your subject, you need to be at f8 or more unless you only want one small portion in focus. You have to take into account the reflected light in those shots too.

Hope that helps.

Never did a dof shot with 8.0 and i do this for years-never had this issue with my 7riii or A7c.
I have all switched off like wifi bluetooth and i dont do vids.Temperature was 3degrees over zero.
And in comparison iso with my A7rii the A7a does a worser job at 1600ISO.

But thanks for your comment mate!

I've not compared any high ISO shot with my other cameras yet so can't really comment on that. I do agree about the battery though, it seems to drain a little faster than all my other cameras that use the NP-FZ100 battery. I've not seen any strange colour casts like this in my shots yet, but haven't shot a similar dark scene either. Is it possible that is was reflected off something? Or are you seeing this in all of your shots?

I've looked at these photos now on 3 different screens. As to the color cast, are you sure we're just not seeing a difference in contrast in the areas in-focus due to the direction of the lighting? I don't see anything objectionable about the color.

Never did a dof shot with 8.0 and i do this for years-never had this issue with my 7riii or A7c.
I have all switched off like wifi bluetooth and i dont do vids.Temperature was 3degrees over zero.
And in comparison iso with my A7rii the A7a does a worser job at 1600ISO.

But thanks for your comment mate!
Well I tried...

Back