Processing from Sony raw with camera presets?

Paul K.

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
PAUL KOUDOUNARIS
I have a question about converting raw Sony files, perhaps someone can help me out. Mostly I shoot Nikon but I have a bunch of old files from a Sony A7r I used to own, in raw format, that I need to convert to tiff for a project. I don't need to do anything fancy to them, just convert them. But I want to convert them with the camera presets I shot them with, basically so they come out looking like the jpeg versions the camera created simultaneously, which were all perfectly fine. The problem is I don't see any way in Sony Imaging Edge or Lightroom to open up the Sony raw files and convert them to tiff with the presests from the camera automatically applied. I'm confused by this especially on the Sony software because with my Nikon, on their proprietary software, there's simply a box I can click and tell it to read the camera presets and apply them, and everything gets batch processed exactly according to my original camera settings with no editing. Is there some way to do the same in Sony? It seems like there must be. Or some other convertor that will do it that way?

Converting sony raw files to tiff is not a problem in light room through the export function... It depends on the presets you want to carry over such as specific camera model related or general post processing cosmetic.

If their is Sony software to carry your presets you should be able to introduce it as an intermediate stage in rhe light room Raw to Tiff export process...

If I'm understanding your question correctly, it may not matter. In the video below from Gerald Undone he shows that the only preset that affects the RAW file is Gamma. The video title is a bit misleading; it reads like there are more, but none of the others get passed through. I just ran across this a few days ago. Maybe this isn't what you mean, but just in case.

Converting sony raw files to tiff is not a problem in light room through the export function... It depends on the presets you want to carry over such as specific camera model related or general post processing cosmetic.

If their is Sony software to carry your presets you should be able to introduce it as an intermediate stage in rhe light room Raw to Tiff export process...
Thank you. Well yes, converting is certainly no problem, the issue is carrying over camera presets, the adjustments that I had in camera for sharpening, contrast, saturation, etc., and apply them automatically to the raw file. That seems like something that would be easy enough to do, but I'm not finding a way. It has been years since I shot that camera, it was the original A7r, I'm wondering if there was a different program from Sony back then, not Imaging Edge, although I'm not finding information on that. So I thought I'd post and ask for tips or advice.

If I'm understanding your question correctly, it may not matter. In the video below from Gerald Undone he shows that the only preset that affects the RAW file is Gamma. The video title is a bit misleading; it reads like there are more, but none of the others get passed through. I just ran across this a few days ago. Maybe this isn't what you mean, but just in case.

Aha. So what if I do want the presets to carry over onto the raw file though? I can do it with my Nikon. So is this not possible with the Sony files?

Here is a very good internet article which explains all about compatibility of sony presets with Adobe/
light room :-

it seems unless you are using a standard sony "creative style" preset which Adobe have configured into
lightroom, in a limited way, you may be faced with setting up a one time import preset in lightroom to
more nearly match your sony custom preset settings (or near to it as possible) and thereafter set up in
lightroom auto apply to apply this preset to your subsequently imported Sony Raw files...doesnt seem
to be a complicated process.

Hope this helps...

Aha. So what if I do want the presets to carry over onto the raw file though? I can do it with my Nikon. So is this not possible with the Sony files?
That's what it sounds like. Is there a way to develop a preset in Adobe for batch processing using one of the photos, then just batch process the entire set? It sounds like that would resolve your problem.

If you load imaging edge desktop, and add the relevant images to Edit.....

There are a bunch of Camera pre-sets listed under "creative look".

Screenshot 2023-01-01 at 8.03.37 pm.jpg

Hope it helps/

Back