Name
George
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Heanor
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Can I ask a question about filters - protective ones. Does anyone use them? It is a subject which usually divides opinion - I used to never use them believing that they had an effect on the images I was taking but then had a bad experience with a canon lens (100-400 mkII) which had a tendency to lose the front cap and I ended up with a little scratch on the front element (didn't make a difference to anything but freaked me out for a while!). Then I started using them but have recently wondered about them again - surely if you are careful they are not needed? What do we think? - interested to hear what opinions are out there! The Sony lenses do seem to have better fitting lens caps!

Cheers
George

I shoot in some crazy conditions and locations (southern Utah desert, forests in Wyoming, etc) so I prefer to have something on a few of my higher end lenses. I recently picked up the Sony FE 70-200 f2.8 GM and put this UV on it: https://www.pictureline.com/products/breakthrough-photography-77mm-x4-uv-filter

It's a bit pricey but it claims to have perfect transparency and to not interfere with the imagery or cause reflections, which I have found to be the case so far.

I never use one, not since moving to higher megapixel digital cameras, as they can badly affect IQ, are not necessary for UV filtering on digital, and I personally don't think they offer much in the way of protection. The hood is plenty IMO. I've never broken one.
Interestingly, one of the RIV users who has been bemoaning soft focus on his 200 600 has discovered that the filter was the issue.

Can I ask a question about filters - protective ones. Does anyone use them? It is a subject which usually divides opinion - I used to never use them believing that they had an effect on the images I was taking but then had a bad experience with a canon lens (100-400 mkII) which had a tendency to lose the front cap and I ended up with a little scratch on the front element (didn't make a difference to anything but freaked me out for a while!). Then I started using them but have recently wondered about them again - surely if you are careful they are not needed? What do we think? - interested to hear what opinions are out there! The Sony lenses do seem to have better fitting lens caps!

Cheers
George
I had a similar experience as you with a Nikon 70-200 AF-S VR lens. $100 UV would have saved my almost $2k lens and in those days that was something I couldn't easily afford to replace. Now I put a quality one on all my lenses.

I shoot in some crazy conditions and locations (southern Utah desert, forests in Wyoming, etc) so I prefer to have something on a few of my higher end lenses. I recently picked up the Sony FE 70-200 f2.8 GM and put this UV on it: https://www.pictureline.com/products/breakthrough-photography-77mm-x4-uv-filter

It's a bit pricey but it claims to have perfect transparency and to not interfere with the imagery or cause reflections, which I have found to be the case so far.
I love Pictureline. I got my a7IV and Sigma 24-70 DG DN Art lens from them. They have great customer service.

Back