Remote control a Mac Mini from my Windows PC?

-ST-

Well Known Member
Followers
Following
Name
ST
Country
Canada
City/State
British Columbia
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Is anyone running a Mac Mini via VNC from a Windows machine? How's that working for you?

Here's why
I'm running a Microsoft Studio 2+. Overall, I'm happy with it for Capture One. It takes a long time to render video using Imaging Edge Desktop for image stabilization and colour correction.

• I don't have room for another large monitor, so I'd like to remote control the Mac Mini from the Microsoft Studio 2+ (gorgeous 28" monitor with touch and pen interface). I understand the touch and pen interface will not work on the Mac
  • The Microsoft Studio 2+ is not easily upgradeable, but I'm committed to keeping it for lots of reasons
  • I don't know if Imaging Edge Desktop rendering would be much faster on a Mac Mini, so if anyone has any experience with this, I'd appreciate your insights
  • My only application for the Mac would be video editing (and possibly Capture One if it turns out there's some benefit to running it on the Mac instead of the PC). I'm not dead set on getting a Mac, but I am curious enough to get one if it looks like this could work.
  • I'm willing to get whatever SSDs would be necessary, whether that installed or external

Microsoft Studio 2+ Tech specs​

Processor​

11th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-11370H processor

Graphics​

NVIDIA® GeForce RTX® 3060 Laptop GPU with 6GB GDDR6 GPU memory

Memory and Storage10​

32GB (DDR4)
1TB solid-state drive (SSD)

Display​

Screen: 28” PixelSense™ Display
Touch: 10-point multi-touch
Aspect Ratio: 3:2
Resolution: 4500 x 3000 (192 PPI)
Color profile: sRGB and Vivid
Individually color-calibrated display
1 billion colors, improved color accuracy and better gradients with Auto Color Management
Contrast ratio 1200:1
Dolby Vision® support4
Gorilla® Glass 3

VNC
I'm not set on this particular software. Anything that would allow me to control the Mac from my Windows machine (and view high resolution video) will do.

Thanks for any insights or suggestions.

My take away is that the two opera systems don’t play nicely together. Something in the Windows Op system likes to hog the network. Over the last 10 years I’ve removed all windows machines from my networks.

I have some legacy PC software that I can’t avoid, so I run windows from a Mac as a virtual machine using “Parallels”. It makes the windows apps I have to use seamless in the apple tech. Basically apple sections it off into a little bubble and lends resources to windows as needed. With enough ram and a sizable SSD, I can run both full time.

Windows still likes to be reset every other day, but that happens without disruption to the Macs.

There may be some remote control software you can run in a windows environment to operate a Mac. There are a lot of remote Mac options.

Back