Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Peter
City/State
Bournmeouth
So according to a non trusted source Sony may be trying to charge for firmware upgrades ! Obviously could be (hopefully) complete bollox but ……

I’m sure this will bring in a lot of discussion, so would you pay for it ? Would it peeve you off and defect !

Thoughts everyone?? Link below

What's really funny is that he posted on his rumor site about 2 weeks ago that Sony had gotten the message about their crappy firmware update policy. Looks like they didn't get much of a message.

It may point to Sony trying to keep a model alive that they have no intent on upgrading.

Would it irritate me enough to change? If I had been expecting a firmware updated and/or a new model release, probably.

This would set a bad precedent.
Recently the ZV-E1 was released with promises of 120p mode unlocked later through a firmware update. I believe this will also be true of the a6700. While I don't care about that particular feature, if it were something I did care about (like for argument's sake lets say the software key to unlocking a faster shutter speed than 1/4000), I would think twice about buying any new camera body if they plan to charge me later down the line for something I expected on release day.

This rumor, if even remotely true, reinforces my belief that the Sony department responsible for camera software upgrades is understaffed/underfunded. So charging for specific upgrades, getting customers to put their money where their mouths are, could either be a business tactic to fund the department's activities (unlikely) or to more accurately gauge customer interest in future software updates (and therefore Sony would spin up more resources for it).

Panasonic has done something similar, but in their case it was a camera that was released with the understanding it was stripped of some video features to keep the cost down. The buyer could upgrade after the purchase for a couple hundred bucks. I have no problem with it under those circumstances, because you know what you're getting for the outset.

I think my take on it would be, If it was a feature I specifically wanted (which wasn't promised when I purchased camera) then I would have to weigh up if the feature/Features are worth whatever they are asking. For example I would like a pro capture type feature on my A1s and I would potentially buy that firmware (would I have to buy firmware twice as I have 2 A1s, that's another thought) but like most things in life cost will always be a major factor !!! I think it would bug me if they wanted me to buy it twice but ultimately if the firmware could be loaded to unlimited cameras then its fairly obvious what would happen, maybe buy a licence which allows you to load upto a certain amount of cameras, 3 maybe would cover most people I'm guessing.....

It all depends on what exactly would be included in this hypothetical payed update.

Some minor fixes wouldn't be worth it. But most people upgrade they gear for some new features. If most of those were included in the payed upgrade, it would be cheaper than buying a new camera, wouldn't it?

Everything is theoretical and random speculation at this point, though.

Last edited:
Everything I own wants me to subscribe to the software upgrade train. It’s expected, and a lot better than throwing out my iMac just because it’s two years old.

If they were to involve external software developers maybe I could get my photos Wi-Fi straight to iCloud instead of the current circus.

Last edited:

Trusted source says “paid A7sIII firmware” rumor is WRONG, confirms Sony is “discussing” firmware policy​

So initially I was against paid updates, although the more I thought about it I probably would pay (how much is the question) especiallly if the "No I won't pay" effectively convinces Sony not to bother with the older models...... Im sure the A1 and several other models have some "extra" in them and if I have to pay to get it, then yes but up to a point and obviously for features I would want which would obvously be different from user to user..... Its a tough one I think.......

Back