Sony A1 Setting Picture Profile to PP11 (for video) changes the ISO settings available in Aperture Priority mode for stills

-ST-

Well Known Member
Followers
Following
Name
ST
Country
Canada
City/State
British Columbia
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Setting Picture Profile to PP11 (for video) changes the ISO settings available in Aperture Priority mode for stills.
This also happens with other Picture Profiles (e.g., PP7).

I understand that choosing PP11 turns on S-Cinetone and Gamma, and I want that for video. Why does this affect the ISO for stills? You can't set the ISO lower than 125 in Aperture Priority mode. You can in Manual and have the full range of ISO values available.

I can shoot in Manual mode, but I'd like to use Aperture Priority mode for an experiment.

I can turn Picture Profile to OFF, but then I have to remember to turn it on again when I shoot a video.

I read through the A1 manual about Picture Profiles and various articles on the web but didn't find a way to have PP11 and use Aperture Priority mode (with the full range of ISO values available) at the same time.

Can you help?
Thanks.

I don't use a picture profile. Maybe you could just assign it to a quick button and change over for video. I still haven't taken a video on any camera I've owned so that part doesn't affect me...

Do you use custom modes (the ones numbered 1, 2, 3 on the mode dial)? Maybe you can have a custom mode for video which includes PP11?

I have found the custom modes incredibly helpful, making it so I don't have to remember to change a half dozen (probably more) settings when switching what I am shooting.

It helps that the more recent cameras have three custom settings for stills and another three for video (A1 does not have a separate switch for still / video / S&Q, so it only has three total, unfortunately).

Hi, Tony,
Do you use custom modes (the ones numbered 1, 2, 3 on the mode dial)? Maybe you can have a custom mode for video which includes PP11?
The issue (can't select ISO values below 125) does not happen if I use any custom modes 1,2,3.
I have found the custom modes incredibly helpful, making it so I don't have to remember to change a half dozen (probably more) settings when switching what I am shooting.
Me too. I use them most of the time.
It helps that the more recent cameras have three custom settings for stills and another three for video (A1 does not have a separate switch for still / video / S&Q, so it only has three total, unfortunately).
Agreed. I got my A7IV first, and I later got the A1, despite it not having the separate movie/stills/S&Q with three custom modes for each.

I have just come across this same problem on my A7R5 that I am finally setting up properly. I was under the impression that the Menu settings were separate for Photo & Movie depending where the switch under the Mode dial was set. But this is clearly not the case which is a pity…

I have just come across this same problem on my A7R5 that I am finally setting up properly. I was under the impression that the Menu settings were separate for Photo & Movie depending where the switch under the Mode dial was set. But this is clearly not the case which is a pity…

It's not the menu settings that are different, or at least I don't know if any of the menu settings change.

However, you can have a separate set of three custom modes for each position on that switch. So three custom modes for still shooting, three custom modes for video shooting, and three for S&Q. So you could have your stills modes set for studio / flash shooting, action shooting, and landscape shooting, while your video modes could be 8k video, 4k video, and maybe HD?

Someone else may be able to confirm whether you also get a separate set of custom buttons for each - do you? I haven't put mine into video yet :)

As for why PP11 affects stills - you might want to use Slog with HEIF files, mightn't you?

On the A1 you could use 1,2 and 3 on the mode dial for stills. when you turn to one of these selections you are presented with a screen offering the selection on the dial plus M1,M2,M3 and M4. If you save your movie settings to M1,M2,M3 and M4 this gives you quick access to your prefered settings. That leaves the Aperture unaffected for stills and your movie settings including your preferred picture profile quickly selectable from these memory slots.

Hope that helps.

Ok, I have found the answer to this. It is possible to have some different settings for stills/movies but it is not enabled by default.

If you go into the Setup menu & scroll down to 3 - Operation Customise then down to Different Set for Still/Mv & press OK, you can individually turn on/off - Aperture, Shutter Speed, ISO, Exposure Comp, Metering Mode, White Balance, Picture Profile & Focus Mode.

Ok, I have found the answer to this. It is possible to have some different settings for stills/movies but it is not enabled by default.

If you go into the Setup menu & scroll down to 3 - Operation Customise then down to Different Set for Still/Mv & press OK, you can individually turn on/off - Aperture, Shutter Speed, ISO, Exposure Comp, Metering Mode, White Balance, Picture Profile & Focus Mode.
Thank you for the reminder - yes, that’s not just on the A1, either. A page of tick boxes for what is remembered as different.

Back