Setting up geo-location between iPhone and Alpha 9

mvgossman

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Mitchell Gossman
Every now and then, my Alpha 9 loses its geolocation connection with my iPhone, not sure why, maybe it's when the app is updated.

Each time, I pull my hair out trying to get it linked up. You have to send a photo from the camera to the phone via the app first, evidently it sets up the WiFi connection so you can set up the Bluetooth required to do the geolocation link. Or something. Anyway, then you make sure the geolocation is activated on the camera, and pair it.

It took me so long to realize, and I have to relearn each time, that if you try to do this when you're in an environment where you have a WiFi network that your iPhone is configured to join automatically, the phone kicks you off the camera's WiFi to go to your home network, and the bluetooth geolocation connection doesn't set up. The workaround is to "forget" your home network WiFi, then your phone stays connected to your camera long enough to pair the camera and phone through the camera menu and then select the "location information linkage" on the Imaging Edge app on the iPhone.

I'm putting this out there of others to benefit, and I'm curious if there's a better way. It's a real hair-puller until you realize that workaround, I can't remember if I figured it out myself or if I found the workaround described somewhere.

I do wish the camera had it's own GPS.

First time poster...

Mitch

Every now and then, my Alpha 9 loses its geolocation connection with my iPhone, not sure why, maybe it's when the app is updated.

Each time, I pull my hair out trying to get it linked up. You have to send a photo from the camera to the phone via the app first, evidently it sets up the WiFi connection so you can set up the Bluetooth required to do the geolocation link. Or something. Anyway, then you make sure the geolocation is activated on the camera, and pair it.

It took me so long to realize, and I have to relearn each time, that if you try to do this when you're in an environment where you have a WiFi network that your iPhone is configured to join automatically, the phone kicks you off the camera's WiFi to go to your home network, and the bluetooth geolocation connection doesn't set up. The workaround is to "forget" your home network WiFi, then your phone stays connected to your camera long enough to pair the camera and phone through the camera menu and then select the "location information linkage" on the Imaging Edge app on the iPhone.

I'm putting this out there of others to benefit, and I'm curious if there's a better way. It's a real hair-puller until you realize that workaround, I can't remember if I figured it out myself or if I found the workaround described somewhere.

I do wish the camera had it's own GPS.

First time poster...

Mitch
Welcome to the Forum, Mitch. What part of the Country do you reside in?

I suspect that not enough people demand the Geo info or Sony would be making it easier. I have thought it would be nice, but then I thought, why? If a photography was a far ranging type and did a lot of outdoor, back woods type of shooting, it would be very important. My main camera is an A7M4 and I don't even know if it is a possibility with my camera.

I live in St. Cloud, Minnesota, and Fish Creek, Wisconsin. Family, nature, and astrophotography.

The geolocation service devised for the A7 is far from acceptable. It works sometimes, and I haven't had the opportunity to try and figure out how it drops out. Did I close the app on the iPhone? Did I turn left instead of right? Even Siri cannot help me.

Ive been taking a few snaps on my iPhone so I can link the location later.

Back