Shoulder Strap

Lee H

Followers
Following
Name
Lee Hanley
Hello all, I am looking to buy a shoulder strap for my a6400 paired with the 200-600 lens. Had a look on Amazon, there's quite a few, but I'm still unsure as what type is best, and to have full confidence in.
Cheers
Lee

Hello all, I am looking to buy a shoulder strap for my a6400 paired with the 200-600 lens. Had a look on Amazon, there's quite a few, but I'm still unsure as what type is best, and to have full confidence in.
Cheers
Lee
Black Rapid Sport for me. I've had one for 10 years, still as good as new essentially.

I don't have that monster of a lens, but for my a6400 with primes or standard zoom lenses, the Peak Design Slide Lite works great. The anchors stay on your camera and then you can unclip the strap if you feel the need. Given the weight of that lens, maybe you might like the regular Peak Design Slide which is wider and has a bit of padding.

I used Optech camera straps for a number of years and found them to be the most comfortable neck straps, but I still found them to be the best of what was for me a flawed way to carry a camera. I eventually sold my heavy Sony A77 for a RX10M4, because of the weight slung around my neck becoming intolerable with my arthritis. I eventually bought a chest harness from Amazon for about £17 to see whether I could get on with it. Frankly, it is a wonderful piece of kit and I am now able to tote my A7Rii with a 24-105 lens all day long in comfort. The camera is held securely via a turn-lock that screws into the tripod thread and I can even cycle with it. It is easy to deploy the camera and there is a secondary strap to prevent the camera being dropped.

I only bought the chest harness as an experiment, figuring that if it was useless then £17 wasn't a lot to lose. Other harnesses that seemed visually indistinguishable from the photos on the jungle-based retailer were selling at up to £105. I have used mine now for a couple of years and it shows no signs of wear. I will never return to lugging a camera around my neck, unless it's my Fuji X100F on its Optima strap; for anything bigger it is always the chest harness.

Second vote for the Peak Design Slide Light. I use one with an A7M4 and a Sigma 100-400 for 10-12 hours at a time, no problem.

I don't have that monster of a lens, but for my a6400 with primes or standard zoom lenses, the Peak Design Slide Lite works great. The anchors stay on your camera and then you can unclip the strap if you feel the need. Given the weight of that lens, maybe you might like the regular Peak Design Slide which is wider and has a bit of padding.
I too have the PD Slide Light, but for the times that I have my 100-400 mounted, I'm about ready to order the Slide, without the light. Just a little wider strap.

Thanks everyone for the replies I will take on board all of them. Thanks so much. I recently seen a photographer with a nut and bolt through the tripod mount, attached to the shoulder strap, looked solid, anyone use a strap this way?

I use peak design slide lite for all my long lenses Sony 400mm x f2.8, 200-600mm and occasionally my Nikon 500mm x f4
over the PD leash and slide versions as well as having flirted with the range of Black Rapid straps which i generally found
to be inferior to the PD range..

Besides the fact that all the current PD straps have the very flexible and functional strap connectors and strap adjustment clamps, i have found the slide
strap to be too broad(wide) and inflexible, the leash to be to narrow and biting into your shoulder whilst the slide lite in my mind is the most flexible, comfortable and more accomodating when packed into my backpacks/camera bags.

The very clear ribbed and smooth textures on each side of the PD straps which is also easy to reverse on your shoulder dependant whether
you are walking, to avoid your lens/camera shoulder position sliding back and forth, and /or shooting for the positional flexibility the slide
side of the strap offers in needing to reposition your camera relative to the down and raised positions.

Hope this helps.....

@Lee H, The 200-600 has slots on the side of the barrel to connect a strap. I recommend you use that method to reduce strain on the lens mount and better balance the load. When carrying the 100-400, I have one end connected to the camera's tripod mount and the other end connected to the tripod shoe on the lens.

The strap mount you're referring to works well, but I wouldn't use it for the 200-600 for the reasons described above. If you do end up going that route, make sure you use a security tether connected to a strap lug.

On the 200-600mm,400mm x f2.8 and my nikon long lenses I connect my PD lite straps to the lens side connectors to eliminate any load on the camera/lens connection but cannot speak to other lighter medium length lenses.

In regularly inspecting my PD connectors condition, especially for the presence of wear revealing the underlying yellow fabric as advised by PD, which i have yet to see after 3-4 years of extensive connector/long lens use, I deem the risk to be minimal although accept others may take the view tether straps give an extra level of connector failure risk reduction.

Lee, I have something to show you. Stay tuned......photos coming.

The photos of my strap are attached. Please excuse the fact that I forgot install (Continued below)
20221222_110243.jpg
  • SM-S901U
  • 5.4 mm
  • ƒ/1.8
  • 1/60 sec
  • ISO 100
20221222_112417.jpg
  • SM-S901U
  • 5.4 mm
  • ƒ/1.8
  • 1/30 sec
  • ISO 100
the lens to the camera but I think you'll get the idea. The Leofoto SP-01 Push Button Quick Release Strap is rugged and dependable. The quick release is often referred to as a MAGPUL release. Magpul is a US manufacturer of firearm products and they use these quick disconnects for rifle slings. Once you attach the camera to the lens (go figure) the unit hangs pretty level. It makes it very easy to carry and quick to deploy the camera for that quick Hero shot. The replacement foot is of high quality (read "expensive") and has a perfectly sized, machined hole for the quick release. It is made by RRS (Really Right Stuff) in the USA. You can see the LCF-101 Lens foot here. An added bonus of the lens foot is that it attaches securely in 5 seconds or less and is ARCA compatible. I actually had the foot well before I bought the strap. :LOL:
(y)

Last edited:
@Jeff A this is exactly what I'm after! I really appreciate your detailed reply to help me thank you so much, means a lot 📸📸📸📸

Thanks again Jeff📸📸📸

Another vote for the Slide Lite. I also have the Slide but the Lite is more than adequate for the way I carry the 200-600.

Ive used Black Rapid for 20+ years, I have just got a new one as my old one was starting to fray but shooting professionally it was used all day everyday.
The new one cost £80 but if it last the same as the first one it works out cheap per year.

Iain, cheers Mate, really like the strap you mention. Solid and looks so good

Back