Followers
Following
Name
Tim
Country
United States
City/State
SE Michigan
Miksang is described as contemplative photography. The definition can get pretty deep, so for this thread let's keep it simple. I have it in 'Other Genres' because the subject matter could be literally anything. The idea is instead of taking a photo of a beautiful subject, like a sunset, flower, landscape, etc., you make an image of something mundane and show the beauty. This can be challenging, but it really helps develop your eye, something I need practice with constantly!

No right or wrong, just mundane item that in your opinion are aesthetically pleasing. Example:

DSC08373 by telecast, on Flickr

Wow. Beautiful buttery smooth background.

Tim, something about the red leaves you posted reminded me of autumn leaves I took pictures of when I was in Japan. I showed some of these beginner photos to a seasoned photographer and his response was "what was your intended subject?" But I didn't have a "subject" I was trying to capture the wonder of the colorful leaves. Considering that I grew up in the tropics where we don't have such seasonal foliage, I guess unknowingly I was trying to capture an experience... So Miksang???

DSC00558.jpg
  • Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
  • 18.0 mm
  • ƒ/9
  • 1/250 sec
  • ISO 200

Tim, something about the red leaves you posted reminded me of autumn leaves I took pictures of when I was in Japan. I showed some of these beginner photos to a seasoned photographer and his response was "what was your intended subject?" But I didn't have a "subject" I was trying to capture the wonder of the colorful leaves. Considering that I grew up in the tropics where we don't have such seasonal foliage, I guess unknowingly I was trying to capture an experience... So Miksang???

View attachment 44111
I think it's far enough away from a landscape shot. The main thing is what you think?

Miksang is described as contemplative photography. The definition can get pretty deep, so for this thread let's keep it simple. I have it in 'Other Genres' because the subject matter could be literally anything. The idea is instead of taking a photo of a beautiful subject, like a sunset, flower, landscape, etc., you make an image of something mundane and show the beauty. This can be challenging, but it really helps develop your eye, something I need practice with constantly!

No right or wrong, just mundane item that in your opinion are aesthetically pleasing. Example:

DSC08373 by telecast, on Flickr

Beautiful! I didn't know about Miksang... what's the origin of the word?

I will see what I can get that fits in miksang.

A7407499.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS
  • 300.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 400

Strange word - apparently it is Tibetan

I don't know about the word, but I can relate to the examples I see on searching - I think for me it is contemplation.

But why Tim
It meets the criteria. I mean, what could be more mundane than a dandelion? Yet when you look closely enough to actually see the structure, the symmetry is naturally beautiful.

It meets the criteria. I mean, what could be more mundane than a dandelion? Yet when you look closely enough to actually see the structure, the symmetry is naturally beautiful.
ok

Ooo interesting idea. I'll have a think.

I paused to get a shot of this tree shadow because I liked it for no reason.

A7C03326.jpg
  • ILCE-7C
  • FE 28-60mm F4-5.6
  • 60.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/320 sec
  • ISO 160

Ok Luca Tuscany, this town is interesting almost abandoned in the 1960s now being re populated slowly, I have some shots of the old streets as they were.
luca 2023 4.jpg
  • ILCE-9
  • Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70 mm F4 ZA OSS (SEL2470Z)
  • 70.0 mm
  • ƒ/4.5
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 250

Two shots I thought these fitted the bill Tim
plants 2023 3.jpg
  • ILCE-9
  • Sony FE 200–600mm F5.6–6.3 G OSS (SEL200600G)
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/2000 sec
  • ISO 5000
plants 2023 4.jpg
  • ILCE-9
  • Sony FE 200–600mm F5.6–6.3 G OSS (SEL200600G)
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 2000

That top shot is very cool. Great colors, and the odd combination of a classic white picket fence with berries, something one might find any anyone's garden, and the rusty concertina wire is intriguing. What's the story there?

That top shot is very cool. Great colors, and the odd combination of a classic white picket fence with berries, something one might find any anyone's garden, and the rusty concertina wire is intriguing. What's the story there?
Tim its actually metal industrial security fencing around a building site we have to add the razor wire because of constant break ins and its that time of year the blackberries grow so decided it might make a shot for this thread

Back