Sony A7 IV Shutter Speed Weird Numbers that Make no Sense

Joe Williams

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Joe Williams
After the 3rd day with this camera i turned it on today and got this weird number when i switched to manual mode, (see attached). Can anyone explain, i am not liking this camera so far i must admit, it's not as great as everyone seems to think,

Attachments

• 20220501_234242.jpg
    20220501_234242.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 329
Solution
You have the "Variable Shutter" set to on, this can be found under the Shooting > Shutter/Silent Menu. Just turn it off to get the shutter speed back to normal.

From the manual:

When [Var. Shutter] is set to [On], the shutter-speed denominator is displayed in the decimal format (high-resolution shutter speed). For example, if the normal shutter speed is set to 1/250 second, the value will be displayed as 250.6. (The numbers may differ from the actual ones.).

Variable Shutter helps you to reduce the appearance of band-like light and dark shading on the image by finely adjusting the shutter speed according to the flickering frequency.
You are correct - that is odd. I just put mine on manual and the longest it will do is 30" (which displays as I typed it here, with " for seconds).

You have the "Variable Shutter" set to on, this can be found under the Shooting > Shutter/Silent Menu. Just turn it off to get the shutter speed back to normal.

From the manual:

When [Var. Shutter] is set to [On], the shutter-speed denominator is displayed in the decimal format (high-resolution shutter speed). For example, if the normal shutter speed is set to 1/250 second, the value will be displayed as 250.6. (The numbers may differ from the actual ones.).

Variable Shutter helps you to reduce the appearance of band-like light and dark shading on the image by finely adjusting the shutter speed according to the flickering frequency.

Solution
Yes, you had variable shutter on. And like I suggested in another post, which apparently you already did, reset the camera and use Mark Smith and Steve Perry's A1 setups and join Mark Galer's Patron where you can download his 500+ page A7IV guide.

Back