Sony A7 IV Shutter when power off

FlapGlide

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Mike
Does anyone use the shutter when power off feature? I currently have one lens and the camera is never off it. Does it make sense to use this feature if I have everything sealed to begin with? Opinions appreciated.

Does anyone use the shutter when power off feature? I currently have one lens and the camera is never off it. Does it make sense to use this feature if I have everything sealed to begin with? Opinions appreciated.
We've discussed this many times. I was all about it when I got my A74, but after reading up I disabled it and never looked back. The reason is that if the camera is pointed toward the sun the lens will focus the light on the closed shutter and can burn a hole through it. Since I carry larger lenses horizontally on a strap outdoors, I figured that the odds the lens would end up pointed toward the sun were pretty high.

The other issue I have is that the shutter is so fragile it would be almost impossible to clean. They don't even want you to blow the dust off with a rocket bulb. I asked myself what happens to the dust that settled on the shutter once you start taking photos? I think that some of it will become dislodged and end up on the sensor anyway. Since the sensor can be blown off and cleaned much more easily, I prefer that.

Given all that, I find the feature to be useless. Maybe someone has discovered a use I haven't thought of, but that's my $0.02.

We've discussed this many times. I was all about it when I got my A74, but after reading up I disabled it and never looked back. The reason is that if the camera is pointed toward the sun the lens will focus the light on the closed shutter and can burn a hole through it. Since I carry larger lenses horizontally on a strap outdoors, I figured that the odds the lens would end up pointed toward the sun were pretty high.

The other issue I have is that the shutter is so fragile it would be almost impossible to clean. They don't even want you to blow the dust off with a rocket bulb. I asked myself what happens to the dust that settled on the shutter once you start taking photos? I think that some of it will become dislodged and end up on the sensor anyway. Since the sensor can be blown off and cleaned much more easily, I prefer that.

Given all that, I find the feature to be useless. Maybe someone has discovered a use I haven't thought of, but that's my $0.02.
Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. Yet another decision to be made :)

Hi, this feature is something that I do think about and do shut/close my shutter. Completely understand the idea that the lens could potentially amplify the sun and burn through the shutter but my question is…… if the shutter is open and the same sun rays go straight to the sensor will/can it damage it ? What is more sensitive? What’s more expensive to replace? Am I the only one to think this ?

Hi, this feature is something that I do think about and do shut/close my shutter. Completely understand the idea that the lens could potentially amplify the sun and burn through the shutter but my question is…… if the shutter is open and the same sun rays go straight to the sensor will/can it damage it ? What is more sensitive? What’s more expensive to replace? Am I the only one to think this ?
No. If that were the case, every mirrorless camera in the world would be in jeopardy.

Back