Name
Tim
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Shropshire
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Sigma announced the development of their 70-200mm F2.8 DG DN OS sports lens back in October and today we see its official launch.

The 70-200mm F2.8 DG DN OS Sports lens will be available for Sony E-mount and L-mount cameras.

The lens will start shipping on December 7th, 2023 for a recommended retail price of $1,499.00 US dollars or £1,499.00 in the UK.

Preorders: B&H Photo (affiliate link)

See the blog post for further details and early reviews. I've had a quick look at Gerald's review and it appears to be a very nice lens for the price.

It will be interesting to see how it compares with the Sony MkII

I can't find the specs at B&H yet. Based on what I'd heard before, it's close to the 70-200/2.8 in size, lighter than the GM, but heavier than the GMII. Considering the Tamron 70-180/2.8 is about the same size as the Sony 70-200/4, I think I'd rather have the Tamron.

If sports is the goal it'll be at a real disadvantage with a limited frame rate vs the GM II.
Might as well get the Tamron otherwise. We'll see... :)

It looks as though the lens hood overlaps the zoom ring a little. Almost like they're trying to deter you from using it. Masterful engineering I think... 🥇

• Admin
I can't find the specs at B&H yet. Based on what I'd heard before, it's close to the 70-200/2.8 in size, lighter than the GM, but heavier than the GMII. Considering the Tamron 70-180/2.8 is about the same size as the Sony 70-200/4, I think I'd rather have the Tamron.

Full specs are on Sigma's website.

Dimensions (max diameter x length):90.6mm × 207.0mm / φ3.6in. × 8.1in. (E-mount)
Weight:1335g (E-mount)

It looks as though the lens hood overlaps the zoom ring a little. Almost like they're trying to deter you from using it. Masterful engineering I think... 🥇

after watching the video it seems like it goes right up to the end of the zoom ring rubber. I think that's pretty neat as it provides a quick tactile reference point for holding. The zoom ring looks a little small though so fingers might rub the hood. I guess we'll find out!

after looking at the web site I see two small issues, the lens hood uses a tension screw to hold it on, much prefer bayonet style, and for me a bigger issue is on the 70-200 i shoot handheld with the tripod foot off and on the tripod with it on, unless I am wrong it looks like one has to remove four screws to take it off. That is something that is not only inconvenient but a sure way to lose the screws.

Back