Name
Tim
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Shropshire
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Please note the rule change this month. Only submit images taken during the current and previous month, so December 2023 and January 2024. The date must be included in the image metadata.

Congratulations to last months competition winners and a big thank you to everyone who took part.

1st place and winner of our $50 prize voucher was @BrianN with his wonderful winter panorama with some deer making an unexpected appearance.
2nd place was @Paul stuart with his stunning shortie owl shot.
Also join 2nd place was @Sdawes with his cracking shot of an osprey catching its lunch.
3rd place was @WeeMalky with his great shot of a kite surfer braving what looks like some pretty rough seas.

For this month we will be introducing a theme again to see how this goes. I'll keep it simple this time and we'll go with a landscape theme. Depending on how it goes I might go back to letting the monthly winner select the theme for the next month like we used to do in the past.

Competition Dates
Entries start: The date that this post is published.
Entries end: January 20th at 3am Eastern Time (9am GMT)
Voting starts: January 20th at 3am Eastern Time (9am GMT)
Voting ends: January 27th at 3am Eastern Time (9am GMT)

Shot Taken Date (Update)
Only submit images taken during the current and previous month, so December 2023 and January 2024. The date must be included in the image metadata.

What Do I Get if I Win?
1st Place - The first place winner will receive a $50 (US Dollar) voucher for B&H Photo OR Amazon (you can choose depending on your country and preference).
2nd Place - The joy of taking part.
3rd Place - The joy of taking part.

There was originally a prize for 2nd and 3rd places but these were withdrawn in June 2023 I'm afraid.

There are no alternative prize or cash options, so if you are unable to accept a B&H or Amazon voucher I'm afraid you will miss out on the prize.

If your local currency is something other than US dollars then the above amounts will be converted based on the exchange rate at the time.

In the event of a draw for 1st place the entry date will be extended but not past the last day of the month. If there are still equal votes for 1st place then the prize will be split. I can't think of a better way of doing this for the time-being! If this happens I may also only be able to offer Amazon vouchers since $20 is the minimum for B&H.

How to Enter + Rules
  1. Simply post your entry below. Please insert the image as full-size rather than a thumbnail so that the metadata displays underneath the image.
  2. Sony cameras only. Camera metadata must be included in the images to verify.
  3. Only submit images taken in the current and previous month (Dec 2023 + Jan 2024). The date must be included in the image metadata.
  4. Only one photo entry per member.
  5. Keep the photos clean and family friendly.
  6. Please don't use sky replacements or AI image generation.
How to Vote (when voting opens)
  1. Use the vote button (up arrow) to the right of the post (below post on mobile) to vote up images that you like
  2. You can vote on as many images as you like apart from your own
Feedback
I'd really appreciate feedback about how the competition is running but please don't post it in this thread. Instead please post any feedback in this thread in the Feedback Forum.

Thank you for participating and good luck!

Tim

Last edited:
  • Admin
Please note the rules folks, especially regarding the date change of submitted images.
  1. Sony cameras only. Camera metadata must be included in the images to verify.
  2. Only submit images taken in the current and previous month (Dec 2023 + Jan 2024). The date must be included in the image metadata.
  3. Only one photo entry per member.
  4. Keep the photos clean and family friendly.
  5. Please don't use sky replacements or AI image generation.
Thank you! :)

Upvote 0
Philly sunset Dec 20 2023. This is a 28 image stitch and greatly shrunk. I attached one of the images (bottom left) for the meta data just incase.
B01_stitch small.jpg

Attachments

• B-B01- DN.jpg
    B-B01- DN.jpg
    359.7 KB · Views: 46
Upvote 2
The Lions, known as Ch'ích'iyúy Elx̱wíḵn ("The Twin Sisters"), are about 50 kilometres in the distance. The cityscape is an area called Metrotown, Burnaby, and it's about 20 kilometres from Blackie Spit, Crescent Beach, BC, Canada where I took this photo.
A1_03254.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • Sony FE 200–600mm F5.6–6.3 G OSS (SEL200600G)
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 100

Documenting the two edits to this post:
1. A couple of days ago, I added some text to provide the distance from where I took the shot to the cityscape - Metrotown. Image unchanged
2. This edit, to document the first one. Image unchanged

Last edited:
Upvote 11
On Sunday 6th January I was up West Kip hill in the Pentland Hills from sunrise towards sunset and with fog looming in the valley between them and the Moorfoot Hills in this image created a wonderful landscape to photograph.

Its this style of photography why I opted for the Tamron 50-400mm lens to isolate areas within the grand scene to help pick out the trees in the shadows covered in frost and thin layer of fog below the Moorfoot Hills.

20240107-_DSC0389-Pano-Edit-Edit.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • E 50-400mm F4.5-6.3 A067
  • 287.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/320 sec
  • ISO 100

Upvote 6
Dunure Castle is located on the west coast of Scotland, in South Ayrshire, about five miles south of Ayr and close to the village of Dunure.With Ailsa Craig in the background
MY102683.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • E 35-150mm F2.0-F2.8 A058
  • 71.0 mm
  • ƒ/10
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 400

Upvote 7
Well, I tried. When we first got here, I took this shot with my phone.

That was over a month ago and if the weather showed a sniff of being suitable, I went back. It has either been too windy or too dull ever since.

So, this is my slightly deflating entry.

DSC02245.JPG
  • ILCE-1
  • FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM II
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/16
  • 1/2 sec
  • ISO 64

I said I'd enter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 2
The Ogwen Valley in its winter overcoat on in Snowdonia National Park , Wales.
20240109-_SCD7637-Edit.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • FE 20mm F1.8 G
  • 20.0 mm
  • ƒ/22
  • 1/6 sec
  • ISO 100

Upvote 11
Thanks to all who have entered this month and for managing to get a shot in despite the last minute changes along with the new date entry restrictions. Entries are now closed and voting is enabled.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Metadata must be embedded with image entries. Entries must of been taken in the current or previous two months. Sony cameras only.
Back