Followers
Following
Name
Keith Horkins
Country
Canada
City/State
Ontario
Today was a holiday here in Ontario so a good excuse to spend more time in the garden hunting for bugs..
82768411-1D6B-4111-870F-2B6A98E723F3.jpeg
  • ILCE-7RM4A
  • FE 90mm F2.8 Macro G OSS
  • 90.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/160 sec
  • ISO 400
990C2501-7E6C-440E-9556-0F755A207C12.jpeg
  • ILCE-7RM4A
  • 90.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/160 sec
  • ISO 400
24EE042A-4D9B-4A90-B727-5D4C3799F26F.jpeg
  • ILCE-7RM4A
  • 90.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/160 sec
  • ISO 400
E57C8D99-9FDB-40D9-B3E5-72F616003D49.jpeg
  • ILCE-7RM4A
  • 90.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/160 sec
  • ISO 400
67F0130F-F302-4CBA-86EF-6A9677BC7D66.jpeg
  • ILCE-7RM4A
  • 90.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/100 sec
  • ISO 400
DC870BAC-15F4-46AB-B9AA-0675285ADDBB.jpeg
  • ILCE-7RM4A
  • 90.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/100 sec
  • ISO 400

A great set of shots you have posted here for us to look at.
The details that you have got is just something else, I am not sure if I have seen better.
Great job on them all.

A great set of shots you have posted here for us to look at.
The details that you have got is just something else, I am not sure if I have seen better.
Great job on them all.
Thank you so much 😊

Nice, especially the ant. I assume you are using a tripod.

Nice, especially the ant. I assume you are using a tripod.
Thank you Kev..
No tripod all hand held using flash and my new Radiant Diffuser..

Those are very low shutter speeds, even with a flash. Are all your bugs dead!

Absolutely not… all alive and kicking ( or biting ).
When using on camera flash a high shutter speed is not need as the flash literally becomes the shutter speed and freezes the motion..

When using on camera flash a high shutter speed is not need as the flash literally becomes the shutter speed and freezes the motion..
Hmm, Interesting, because that's not what I have found sometimes. What flash unit are you using?

Hmm, Interesting, because that's not what I have found sometimes. What flash unit are you using?
I’m using Godox TT685ii..
Have a look at this article..

I’m using Godox TT685ii..
Have a look at this article..
Ta. My first batch of moth shots, which I shot at 1/60th, were not in focus, despite using a flash, so I upped it considerably second time and everything worked perfectly, so I need to play more, those speeds are ideal for keeping ISO low.

I thought I'd commented already..!

Yeah, pretty bloody spectacular! 🙉

Absolutely correct Keith the flash, whilst giving important extra light when your lens is very close to the subject,
also nullifies the need for high shutter speeds....due to the much higher flash speed.....

Ta. My first batch of moth shots, which I shot at 1/60th, were not in focus, despite using a flash, so I upped it considerably second time and everything worked perfectly, so I need to play more, those speeds are ideal for keeping ISO low.
Hi Kev have you set your camera to "HI Sync" ........ this may be affecting your flash success

Hi Kev have you set your camera to "HI Sync" ........ this may be affecting your flash success
Yes it is. The flash seems to be fine. I need a bit more practice shooting with it, but, as you have seen in my last post, it's getting there OK.

Yes it is. The flash seems to be fine. I need a bit more practice shooting with it, but, as you have seen in my last post, it's getting there OK.
My flash is set to manual and no high sync.. usually between 1/4 to 1/16 depending on where my subject is..

Have either of you guys considered the Louwa 60mm or 100mm f2.8 x2 lenses, I hear good things about them and
am considering buying one for Sony A1.....?

At x2 magnification they are about at the limit for what you could practically use for field hand macro......

Have either of you guys considered the Louwa 60mm or 100mm f2.8 x2 lenses, I hear good things about them and

At x2 magnification they are about at the limit for what you could practically use for field hand macro......
I did, yes, but the DOF is miniscule, and that's an issue for me. Great if you want just the eye in focus though :)

I actually have the Laowa 100mm f2.8 x2 lens..
Just not got to use it to much yet..

Yes at 2x magnification the DOF is much lower and unless you want to just show the face and eyes
in sharp relief as pointed out by Kev, you have to consider hand held focus stacking in the field to achieve a
fully sharp complete image even wnen shooting the body of insects/bugs in parallel with the focus plane
of your lens.

With a high burst camera and rocking along the focus path highly detailed sharp images can be achieved...
not easily but it is possible.

The more recent Louwa 85mm at f5.6 maximum aperture which seems to be bringing a further benefit
in reduced size and weight to facilitate a very much reduced field macro rig.....even with the necessary flash/
diffuser added.

Any ways I may be going for the 85mm as a minimum weight addition to my overall field gear...will let you
know how i get on....

Back