Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Lincolnshire
I know the reviews are all over Youtube and the like but I could do with some real life discussion about the pros and cons of these two Teleconverters.

I have the SEL100400GM so both T/Cs are compatible
I'm not sure what my 'style' is yet so I can't even say I'm a bird photographer. I imagine my tastes are quite eclectic and I'm looking for more pull on the lens for no particular reason.
Is the loss of 2 f stops a problem on the 2x particularly when this lens starts at f/5.6 @ 400mm?
Is the 1.4x worth the effort/expense?
I imagine these appear regularly as second hand items which I would think is the best way of trying them.

Anyway, if you've got one do you use it? Do you leave it on your lens because it's so good? Does it sit in your bag gathering dust?

I have the 1.4X teleconverter and really like it. It is usually mated to my 100-400mm and I don't see any degradation. Fully zoomed in this provides 560mm and F8. I would say that I have it on the lens about 1/2 the time, mostly shooting wildlife.

I have used the 1.4 extensively on my 200 600, and, in decent light there's no degradation in IQ, though I have noticed it on some shots when the subject is at great range and I'm pushing the boundaries of what is really possible (handheld at least). That said, I've had some blinding results shooting butterflies with it in crop mode on the RIV, so an equivalent focal length of 1260mm. It's a very useful addition for me, and I can image it's just as good on the 100 400.
I felt that the 2x was too much of a sacrifice on a zoom lens, you would need really good light all of the time. Fine on a 2.8 or f4 Prime though.

That's pretty much my thoughts ref the 2x. It's about the same price as the 1.4x and I suppose there is a reason for that.

A lot depends on the body/lens combo.
On the R III, 2x puts you at f11 with the tele zooms and you have CDAF only, which is very slow and with perched birds you miss shots. That said, attached to the 100-400 you have an easy walkaround rig that goes to 800mm so if you're out bushwalking or hanging onto a rolling boat ...
I've used the 2x on the A9 + 100-400 as well and the results can be surprisingly good where the light is decent and you have enough pixels on the bird. Cropping any more than a minor degree quickly produces sludge however.
The 1.4 works very well with the 400/2.8 and either of those bodies. The 2x and 400/2.8 can be hard to get sharp BIF shots with and I'm still learning that rig.

I have the 1.4x TC on both my 100-400mm and 200-600mm lenses; given their native range, I figured that using a 2x TC on either would be asking for trouble as the light would be severely limited. I've been very happy with using the 1.4x on each of them. With my A7R IV I can crop as needed, which makes up for any loss of "reach" that I might otherwise get with the 2x TC.

I have the 1.4x TC on both my 100-400mm and 200-600mm lenses; given their native range, I figured that using a 2x TC on either would be asking for trouble as the light would be severely limited. I've been very happy with using the 1.4x on each of them. With my A7R IV I can crop as needed, which makes up for any loss of "reach" that I might otherwise get with the 2x TC.

Pretty much my thinking. Thanks.

Haven't tested it but TCs aren't supposed to reduce your minimum focus distance.

The 100-400 is very good on this score and remains so with a TC.

Haven't tested it but TCs aren't supposed to reduce your minimum focus distance.

The 100-400 is very good on this score and remains so with a TC.

It doesn't on the 200 600 either, still 8ft.

Yeah, I've done a lot of bird shots with the 100-400 & 1.4 and have always been pleased with the images. I got the 200-600 to use with that TC since BIFs need that kind of reach IMO and found the results softer than the shorter lens combo and unsatisfying. Other folk are happy with theirs. Trouble with that was what else to use? The 100-400 & 2x TC is OK but you need plenty of pixels on the subject if you're going to crop and at that length you usually don't get them. So that left the 400 or 600 primes and I stumped up for the 400. That was painful but I could now sell it for more than I paid if I wanted to.

I would so, so love to be able to buy the 400mm prime or the 600mm prime, but that's just not going to be within my reach unless I unexpectedly win the lottery! (Which would be difficult since I don't usually buy lottery tickets.)

1.4x expected tomorrow. I hope it arrives before I depart for the North Yorkshire Moors!

Sorry to jump on an old post, but this seemed to be the most relevant to my inquiry. What would be some tips to get the most quality images out of the A7R IV with the 200-600mm and 1.4x teleconverter? minimum shooting settings, shutter speed, time of day, etc? Thank you in advance :)

Sorry to jump on an old post, but this seemed to be the most relevant to my inquiry. What would be some tips to get the most quality images out of the A7R IV with the 200-600mm and 1.4x teleconverter? minimum shooting settings, shutter speed, time of day, etc? Thank you in advance :)

Really depends on available light. I tend to try and shoot at f9 or 10 if it's bright enough, as that's a stop up from max, and is generally a bit sharper, and keep shutter speeds at 1/500th up, if you can hold steady enough. I have shot lower with some success though, on a bright day. I have also shot on poor light days, and it's fine, but ISO creeps up. Not too much of an issue on the RIV IMO. If you look at my example shot you can see it's effectively free of IQ loss.

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Back