Sony 24-70 GM II is a great lens but I was having issues with it.

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

psycho.swat

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Jimmy O Young
Wouldn’t deny that it’s a beautiful lens, lightweight and compact. But I was quite surprised by the distortion at 24mm and sun flares it has when aperture was at minimum.

However I would like to enquire about an issue I am having with it to fellow GM II owners, when you twist the zoom ring under “tight” settings, do you notice that it is not a consistent feeling compared to the “smooth”, as in it feels “tight-loose-tight-loose etc” when twisted in a rather quick motion, it just doesn’t feel as linear as the smooth settings, is it normal? The inconsistency is subtle. I have spoken with a Sony rep and they advised there may be a fault manifested, would like to ask for opinions before I send it in for replacement or repairs… thank you in advance

Mine seems to be smooth in both modes. But I don't think I've ever actually shot with it in "Tight" mode.

My 70-200 f2.8 GII seems to be Ok , haven't identified any significant issues but i have my concerns as to sharpness in shooting
low contrast shots, ie white subjects against light backgrounds.

My tests indicate a relatively poor sharpness performance against other prime Sony lenses....the acknowledged
prime verses tele lenses performance accepted.

Mine seems to be smooth in both modes. But I don't think I've ever actually shot with it in "Tight" mode.
Yea I shoot videos on tight mode as wanting some control of the zoom, but the inconsistencies of the “stickiness” messing it up, guess I’m bringing it back to Sony ..

My 70-200 f2.8 GII seems to be Ok , haven't identified any significant issues but i have my concerns as to sharpness in shooting
low contrast shots, ie white subjects against light backgrounds.

My tests indicate a relatively poor sharpness performance against other prime Sony lenses....the acknowledged
prime verses tele lenses performance accepted.
Yes my primes are so much better in regards to the flare control and distortion

would like to know if anyone else owns this lens have a similar feel to the zoom ring? thanks

I think if you check the 24-70mm GII early reviews by dustin abbot and chris frost on Youtube one or both reported a degree of stick/slip on the zoom ring when in "tight" mode as well as barrel or pincushion distortion(I cant quite remember which) at 24mm along with a degree of sun flare at 70mmm.

I don't seem to experience the stick/shift issue with my 24-70 GII but copies do occasionally have varying levels of operational efficiency due to manufacturing tolerances.....whether its a warranty issue i am not aware.....

Distortion is not an uncommon occurance when wide open on many lenses but is usually eliminated by engaging distortion control in the camera settings or alternatively resolving in post processing....do you have distortion control engaged on your camera...?

Hope this helps....

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Back