Sony 70-200mm f/4 G Macro

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

AlphaWorld

Veteran Member
Followers
Following
Name
Tony
Interesting new lens. Good to see that it is compatible with teleconverters.

I do like that it's smaller and weight, but much higher performance. Glad to see that it uses twin focus groups, too.

The macro is only .05, but that's all I need a lot of the time. Also means I don't need to go for a shorter lens some of the time.

Yeah, I'm thinking about getting one for the times I want the reach, but less weight.

Seems like Sony is determined to make me commit to an f/4 setup! I already have the 20-70mm f/4, after all. But I don't wanna be a boring 24-70 + 70-200 shooter!

I know the headline announcement today was the A6700, but I think this lens will make more difference to us :-D

What do you think?

I have had the previous 70-200 f4 for years and have used it for travel mainly but the fact the new one is macro and will allow teleconverter to be used means it is probably on my wants list. Is it out now? and what the price tag like?

$1700 for an F/4 lens because of size? No thanks. For what little I use this FL, that's way too much $. I'd rather get a used GM1 2.8.

The first time there was not enough light, I know I’d want to sell it and kick myself for not predicting the problem by leaving it at home.

$1700 for an F/4 lens because of size? No thanks. For what little I use this FL, that's way too much $. I'd rather get a used GM1 2.8.

I'll pick one up once they've been out for six weeks or so. They're $2,799 here so I reckon I'll get one for about $2,200 after the dust settles.

I have had the previous 70-200 f4 for years and have used it for travel mainly but the fact the new one is macro and will allow teleconverter to be used means it is probably on my wants list. Is it out now? and what the price tag like?

The press release said available from September. Price depends on where you are, as usual :)

Interesting that the 6700 is available from the end of this month…

Does anyone else find it odd that it's external focus? 70 200 have nearly always been internal (certainly for the last few years). I wouldn't buy one because of that alone, it's what put me off of the Tamron 70-180.

Does anyone else find it odd that it's external focus? 70 200 have nearly always been internal (certainly for the last few years). I wouldn't buy one because of that alone, it's what put me off of the Tamron 70-180.
That is very interesting to know Kev, I had heard this lens was coming but did not take notice until it was mentioned above that it would pair with a teleconverter

They probably needed to do that in order to keep it shorter. Physics still rule, and if you want to keep the focusing elements in the barrel, the barrel has to be longer. Ok when it comes to packing for travel, but weather/dust sealing and smooth zooming all suffer to some degree because of it.

Smoke and mirrors.

They probably needed to do that in order to keep it shorter. Physics still rule, and if you want to keep the focusing elements in the barrel, the barrel has to be longer. Ok when it comes to packing for travel, but weather/dust sealing and smooth zooming all suffer to some degree because of it.

Smoke and mirrors.
I could reply to the shorter bit Tim but I will not as probably just my age 🤣

I'm looking forward to seeing one. I don't mind It extending to zoom (the small 70-200s do - like the Canon RF). And if I'm pairing it with the 20-70, which also extends to zoom, it seems like a match.

I think the focus is internal, it's the zoom that is not. Now you have me going back to read that part again!

One thing that I missed earlier is that when you put it on the 2x teleconverter it becomes a 1:1 macro lens. A ZOOM 1:1 Macro lens, with a maximum focal length of 400mm. That's cool. Pardon my ignorance, but I don't think I have ever seen a 1:1 macro lens with zoom. I think I might quite like to use that.

I like how Sony is refining their lens lineup. Just waiting impatiently for them to refine the 85 GM to f/1.2 :D

I think the focus is internal, it's the zoom that is not. Now you have me going back to read that part again!
It is, I mispoke.

Will it become a 1:1 macro? The min distance will change with the TC, how much more magnification will be gained will be interesting to see. Maybe not that much.

Just dug in a bit, the TC should not affect close focusing, so it would be a 1:1 macro.

Yep, I never used it when it had value, it's utterly redundant now

Although pointless as a usage case, I like the aperture ring on a prime as it just sits in it's own space and gives a bit of a professional look to the lens. On a zoom it is almost as bad as a lens hood to me, the aperture ring along with the zoom and focus just creates a messy clutter. If the 24-70mm GMII didn't have that filthy ring on there it would be perfect, it breaks my heart to be honest! Still it's my favourite lens these days... 😃

It is, I mispoke.

Will it become a 1:1 macro? The min distance will change with the TC, how much more magnification will be gained will be interesting to see. Maybe not that much.

I understand being a bit dubious about that - you'd expect the minimum focus distance to change and possibly the macro ratio to remain 1:2, but apparently not.

Sony's press release says quite clearly that it is 1:1 with the 2x TC.

In the Features section on their web site it says:

No-compromise teleconverter support​

Used with the Sony's 2.0x and 1.4x teleconverters, it increases maximum focal length to 400 mm and 280 mm respectively. Also, the 2.0x teleconverter make it possible to shoot life-size 1:1 macro at all focal lengths for new creative potential. Attached with the 1.4x teleconverter, it can shoot max. 0.7x macro at all focal lengths.

I understand being a bit dubious about that - you'd expect the minimum focus distance to change and possibly the macro ratio to remain 1:2, but apparently not.

Sony's press release says quite clearly that it is 1:1 with the 2x TC.

In the Features section on their web site it says:

No-compromise teleconverter support​

Used with the Sony's 2.0x and 1.4x teleconverters, it increases maximum focal length to 400 mm and 280 mm respectively. Also, the 2.0x teleconverter make it possible to shoot life-size 1:1 macro at all focal lengths for new creative potential. Attached with the 1.4x teleconverter, it can shoot max. 0.7x macro at all focal lengths.
See my post, two above yours.

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Back