Sony 70-200mm Gm f2.8

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Paul stuart

Well Known Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
I have just purchased a new 70-200mm f2.8 gm lens in fact my first gm lens not a recent one i know a 5 year old lens now ,are users of this lens happy ,i had difficult choice of choosing this over the tamron 70-180mm especially for the near 2x cost ,does the af work well quite important will it be as good as my 200-600 mm or better ,i have heard of back focus issues ,i will be using this with a A7r3 ,reason for choosing is being able to use the t/c the tamron has no t/c option.

I have just purchased a new 70-200mm f2.8 gm lens in fact my first gm lens not a recent one i know a 5 year old lens now ,are users of this lens happy ,i had difficult choice of choosing this over the tamron 70-180mm especially for the near 2x cost ,does the af work well quite important will it be as good as my 200-600 mm or better ,i have heard of back focus issues ,i will be using this with a A7r3 ,reason for choosing is being able to use the t/c the tamron has no t/c option.
Hi Paul, not a lens that I use often but I have found it to be very good. I used it the other day and had to use the T/C because of restricted viewing if you check out my photos or look at the horse racing in the sports forum don't think you will regret it. And I am just a happy hobbyist🙏

Hi Paul, not a lens that I use often but I have found it to be very good. I used it the other day and had to use the T/C because of restricted viewing if you check out my photos or look at the horse racing in the sports forum don't think you will regret it. And I am just a happy hobbyist🙏
Ok thanks i will have a look.

Ok had a good look ,but i do see some lateral chromatic aberration in one of the images ie purple fringing i would assume a t/c increases the chances of this happening do you shoot raw or jpeg? ,although hard on bright sunny days to avoid sometimes ,focus looks good and sharp enough ,now not sure how often the t/c comes into play but always a good option if needed .

Ok had a good look ,but i do see some lateral chromatic aberration in one of the images ie purple fringing i would assume a t/c increases the chances of this happening do you shoot raw or jpeg? ,although hard on bright sunny days to avoid sometimes ,focus looks good and sharp enough ,now not sure how often the t/c comes into play but always a good option if needed .
I am sure post-processing would sort things out I was standing on a very unstable fence when the horse racing ones were taken well that's my excuse 😜 and I shoot raw

I just got this lens a few days ago and WOW, and I blown away by it so far. I am a bog amateur though, so I am very easily impressed. Compared to my 200-600 G it is significantly faster to focus, much sharper detail and with the absolutely horrible weather I’ve been having lately that ƒ2.8 is bright and wicked fast. I also have the 70-200 ƒ4 G version, and while that is still a nice lens, there is no comparison. Especially using crop mode, I’m able to get reasonably close enough to the tiny birds I shoot that are usually far out on the water without sacrificing speed and brightness. Again, I am an absolute rank amateur and don’t have the depth of experience nor the equipment you were considering to compare against, but nonetheless wanted to share that amongst all my zoom lenses, this is far any away my favourite and the most versatile for my needs.

Can’t wait to hear and see what your experience is with it, both good and bad. Hearing glowing reviews is lovely, but frankly it‘s the critical reviews of products that are of course far more useful.

Good luck!

p.s. Attached is one of my absolutely favourite shots using that lens on the second day I think I had it. The birds are quite small birds, they fly fast and low, saw movement, swung around a couple seconds before this and starting shooting as it was focusing. The day looks nice and bright, but I assure you it was anything but that and yet even in the very neutral scene I think it still captured some really nice colours, with good contrast and focus across the whole field of view. I was in crop mode and cropped in post a little more, but no sharpening or apply any filters, I just shoot, download to my iPad, adjust basic levels, crop and post. :)
1B332E6D-76A8-48DB-B62E-44CA11A98373.jpeg
  • ILCE-7RM4
  • FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 27958/44732801 sec
  • ISO 100

I like the rendering of the lens ,i have a model shoot with 2 models in may, studio and garden ,i also have some other zoo/wildlife stuff in the pipeline also a osprey shoot at rutland uk it will be a real test for the af ,i will possibly have a9 by then to try it with so no excuses if i have obtained a9 by then ,although half thinking A1 and be done and getting sold of my m43 stuff ,had a quote for 4k for the lot but a hard bullet to bite it can still work well and has a place when i feel i need to be nimble .

I am sure post-processing would sort things out I was standing on a very unstable fence when the horse racing ones were taken well that's my excuse 😜 and I shoot raw
only noticed in the 4th image of the set bottom left corner purple fringing which is easily corrected in post ,luckily it looks more lateral than Longitudinal aberration being in the corner although could be both loca is much harder to deal with .

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Back