Name
Tim
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Shropshire
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
The latest firmware update for the Sony a7 IV is now version v1.11.

When updating from v1.01 or earlier, you need to update to v1.05 first before updating to v1.11. The install will fail if you try to update to v1.11 directly from v1.00 or v1.01.

If the access lamp repeats 5 long blinks (0.5sec. cycle) and 6 short blinks (0.25sec. cycle), the system software update failed. In this case, remove the battery and memory card from the camera, and start over. Or if you are trying to go from Ver 1.01 to 1.11, install 1.05 first.

Ver 1.11 adds the following benefits and improvements:
  • Improves the shutter reliability
  • Fixes an issue where the movie file rotated by the camera may not be rotated when displayed on a computer

Ver 1.05 Download Links
US Support Site
UK Support Site

Ver 1.11 Download Links
US Support Site
UK Support Site

Further details and an install guide can be found in the blog article.

I really wonder what Sony means when talking about improving shutter reliability. Too bad no detail is provided in the announcemen.

Exactly. That could be anywhere from "we've seen some failures that are preventable through software" to "in unique circumstances the exposure resulting from the shutter could be slightly out".

Brownie, successfully skipping 4 firmware updates for almost a year!

Brownie, successfully skipping 4 firmware updates for almost a year!
Be careful when you update from 1.01 to 1.10: you'll need to go through 1.01 -> 1.05 -> 1.10. And the same will apply to following updates: there were breaking changes which prevent updating from 1.01 to anything beyond 1.05. As far as it goes, you'll need to go through 1.05. Make sure you download that update before it disappears from the Somy support site ( should not happen but mistakes do happen).

Exactly. That could be anywhere from "we've seen some failures that are preventable through software" to "in unique circumstances the exposure resulting from the shutter could be slightly out".
Would be great if it included something like: reduces rolling shutter effect when using electronic shutter or when shooting video. I wonder if this is doable though a software update… probably not :|

I did mine a couple of days ago. Easy Peasy.

Would be great if it included something like: reduces rolling shutter effect when using electronic shutter or when shooting video. I wonder if this is doable though a software update… probably not :|
Rolling shutter is mostly a product of the slower sensor readout on the 7M4, not something you can change with programming.

I tried to update this morning from v1.10 which was successfully installed a month ago to 1.11 and got the five and six flashing lights. I tried to follow the instructions but I can't get the camera to stop flashing or work even with both memory cards out and removing the battery repeatedly. I hope there is some sort of hard reset button not sure what I'm going to do this is very frustrating.

I'm not sure whether I'm happy or just disturbed. So I searched around the Internet and on this forum for suggestions. I took the battery out for five minutes I pulled out the card in slot one re-downloaded the 1.11 update and copied it onto the card after throwing the other away, put it back in the camera with the battery and after about two minutes it said the update was complete and now I have 1.11???? I'm not sure what happened but glad it worked out......

Last edited:
The latest firmware update for the Sony a7 IV is now version v1.11.

When updating from v1.01 or earlier, you need to update to v1.05 first before updating to v1.11. The install will fail if you try to update to v1.11 directly from v1.00 or v1.01.

If the access lamp repeats 5 long blinks (0.5sec. cycle) and 6 short blinks (0.25sec. cycle), the system software update failed. In this case, remove the battery and memory card from the camera, and start over. Or if you are trying to go from Ver 1.01 to 1.11, install 1.05 first.

Ver 1.11 adds the following benefits and improvements:
  • Improves the shutter reliability
  • Fixes an issue where the movie file rotated by the camera may not be rotated when displayed on a computer

Ver 1.05 Download Links
US Support Site
UK Support Site

Ver 1.11 Download Links
US Support Site
UK Support Site

Further details and an install guide can be found in the blog article.
Help! unable to format both my sd cards 1 & 2 in A7IV, tried both quick and full format but both cards still has the PRIVATE folder files, thus unable
to download firmware update in root directory of sd cards.

Help! unable to format both my sd cards 1 & 2 in A7IV, tried both quick and full format but both cards still has the PRIVATE folder files, thus unable
to download firmware update in root directory of sd cards.
I haven't done this yet, but reading the instructions you're supposed to download the update to a folder on your computer. After you've done that, you should be able to copy or drag it into the root directory of the card. The root directory is the same one that has the Private folder. I don't see anything that says the Private folder has to be gone.

I just noticed something in V1.10 that I've experienced, so am about to embark on the entire ordeal from square 1. I should be able to do V5, then 1.11.

I just did both 1.05 and 1.11 in about 15 minutes using the method above. When downloading it should automatically go to your downloads folder. Just drag it to the card.

FWIW, I always create a 'cameras' folder in my documents, then a subfolder for each firmware update. That way I have them if Sony ever deletes and for some odd reason I need them.

I just did both 1.05 and 1.11 in about 15 minutes using the method above. When downloading it should automatically go to your downloads folder. Just drag it to the card.

FWIW, I always create a 'cameras' folder in my documents, then a subfolder for each firmware update. That way I have them if Sony ever deletes and for some odd reason I need them.
Thank you so much for the info.

All,

I have a question do you throw away the other data file that was from the last update or do you just drag the new one in there and tell it to replace the old one? I dragged my other one into the trash and drug the new one in there just curious on how you guys do it??

I also freaked out a bit until I figured out that you need to remove the battery for five minutes before you start again after my first attempt failed!

All,

I have a question do you throw away the other data file that was from the last update or do you just drag the new one in there and tell it to replace the old one? I dragged my other one into the trash and drug the new one in there just curious on how you guys do it??

I also freaked out a bit until I figured out that you need to remove the battery for five minutes before you start again after my first attempt failed!
You need to get rid of the old one, they tell you that in the instructions. If you don't the new file may get renamed a with a '2' before the file extension and the camera won't recognize it. That's why I save each one in its own folder.

Back