Name
Tim
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Shropshire
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
The latest firmware update for the Sony a7 IV is now version v2.01. This doesn't appear to be a big update and mainly addresses bugs with the Creators App.

Please Note: When updating from v1.01 or earlier, you need to update to v1.05 first before updating to v2.01. The install will fail if you try to update to v2.01 directly from v1.00 or v1.01. If the access lamp repeats 5 long blinks (0.5sec. cycle) and 6 short blinks (0.25sec. cycle), the system software update failed. In this case, remove the battery and memory card from the camera, and start over.

Ver 2.01 adds the following benefits and improvements:
  1. Fixes a Creators’ App issue where the Auto Time Correction and Auto Area Adjustment features turn off
  2. Improves the operational stability of the camera
For customers who have been using Imaging Edge Mobile app:
  • Updated cameras will no longer be able to connect to Imaging Edge Mobile app. After updating the camera, install the Creators’ App.
  • Please make sure Imaging Edge Mobile app is the latest version (Ver.7.7.2 or later) in order to pair the camera with the Creators’ App.
  • If you are using an iPhone/iPad, after updating the camera, turn off the Phone/iPad and turn it on again. Then pair the camera with the Creators’ App.
  • For instructions on installing and connecting the Creators’ App, please refer to Migrating from Imaging Edge Mobile app to Creators’ App.
Ver 1.05 Download Links
US Support Site
UK Support Site

Ver 2.01 Download Links
US Support Site
UK Support Site

Make sure you format your memory card after updating to 1.05 and downloading 2.01 to the card. It will also only work in memory card slot 1.

Further details and an install guide can be found in the blog article or the download links.

Was hoping they may add some gee-whiz features since the A7 V is likely a few years down the road. Oh well. Not interested in their imaging apps at all, so will wait to see what the next one is if they ever do.

Of course, there's always that ubiquitous improved camera stability to woo me toward an update.

Nah.... :p

I need help, please!
I get this every time I try to update the firmware.
I wouldn't even be concerned except every time I go to shoot, my presets change on 123.
I've reset everything back to default settings and it still wont update.
Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20231007_143539.jpg
    20231007_143539.jpg
    383.7 KB · Views: 56
  • 20231007_141018.jpg
    20231007_141018.jpg
    516.2 KB · Views: 53
I need help, please!
I get this every time I try to update the firmware.
I wouldn't even be concerned except every time I go to shoot, my presets change on 123.
I've reset everything back to default settings and it still wont update.
Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
The same thing just happened to me!

Turns out I still had the bodydata download from the 1.11 version still in my downloads. Once I deleted the 1.11 version and redownload the 2.01 version the update all worked like it should. After I updated the camera I deleted the 2.01 so I won't have to go through all that again! Hopefully that works for you!

The same thing just happened to me!

Turns out I still had the bodydata download from the 1.11 version still in my downloads. Once I deleted the 1.11 version and redownload the 2.01 version the update all worked like it should. After I updated the camera I deleted the 2.01 so I won't have to go through all that again! Hopefully that works for you!
Exactly what I did!

Question if I may… looking for solutions to update my firmware.

My A7IV is on an older version of firmware, I lack a current computer, or laptop so can’t download and update my firmware myself.

Is there any other way of doing the firmware updates.

I haven’t worried too much yet but I’m at least a couple of versions back now and I believe the updates improve a number of bugs, improve eye focus tracking and also stops the old imaging edge app from working so I will also have to update the imaging edge app once the firmware is updated to be able to continue image transfers to my iPhone.

Any suggestions or tips welcome.

Phone a friend with a computer?

Do you have an iPad that will take an SD or micro SD?

Mail someone a card, have them download it, and mail the card back?

Use a computer at the local library?

As far as I know, there is no way to update the A7IV without downloading the data to a card.

Thanks, have two laptops, both work devices and all ports are locked so unable to use.

Planning on getting a laptop (just haven’t got round to replacing the old ones) as the iPhone does it all now really.. am tempted to get an iMac or new iPad but cost benefits just not there for me to invest.

If it can be downloaded to a card do you just install via adding the card to the camera port?

I think find and phone a friend or friendly neighbour is the best idea, thanks for the suggestion.

The other thought I had was trying one of the camera shops, I often pop into Park Cameras in London, small fee involved if they do that kind of service while you wait perhaps, I’ll ask next time I’m there.

Thanks, have two laptops, both work devices and all ports are locked so unable to use.

Planning on getting a laptop (just haven’t got round to replacing the old ones) as the iPhone does it all now really.. am tempted to get an iMac or new iPad but cost benefits just not there for me to invest.

If it can be downloaded to a card do you just install via adding the card to the camera port?

I think find and phone a friend or friendly is the best idea, thanks for the suggestion.

The other thought I had was trying one of the camera shops, I often pop into Park Cameras in London, small fee involved if they do that kind of service while you wait perhaps, I’ll ask next time I’m there.
Yes, Slot #1 specifically.

A friendly camera shop may help, certainly if you bought it from them.

I'd miss not having a decent size screen to view images. People would be shocked at how many of them look great on a tiny phone screen but fall apart when viewed larger.

No, just viewing on a large screen, all
My edits when done are done on light room mobile on my phone, will lose functionality if I update firmware without updating imaging edge app too, hence the reason I’ve probably procrastinated on the firmware updates.

Old iPad, screen was broken (kids!) and old laptop is a dinosaur, 6 years old, I could probably dig it out and fire it up but don’t want to risk it with no active virus protection as not used for ages, it’s gonna end up doing a windows update for best part of a week!! It’s way too slow any way and not worth investing in it any more.

Question if I may… looking for solutions to update my firmware.

My A7IV is on an older version of firmware, I lack a current computer, or laptop so can’t download and update my firmware myself.

Is there any other way of doing the firmware updates.

I haven’t worried too much yet but I’m at least a couple of versions back now and I believe the updates improve a number of bugs, improve eye focus tracking and also stops the old imaging edge app from working so I will also have to update the imaging edge app once the firmware is updated to be able to continue image transfers to my iPhone.

Any suggestions or tips welcome.
You will need to find a way to download the firmware to a memory card I'm afraid. If you can't get a friend to help just buy the cheapest used laptop you can find.

If you are on firmware 1.01 or earlier you will also need to download and install 1.05 before you can install the latest 2.01 firmware.

2.01 adds support for Sony's Creators App which can then be used to download and update firmware via your iPhone. See this guide. Unfortunately you need to get to 2.01 first!

Thanks for the advice, all up and running and on the latest firmware with ease.

Found the wife’s work laptop had an SD card slot and it wasn’t locked!

Now have to delete all the website cookies as I’ve been busy window shopping 🫣

DSC03210.jpeg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 24-105mm F4 G OSS
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/8 sec
  • ISO 100

New APP also works a treat 👍

Speaking as a fairly new (3 months) a7iv owner...

IIRC, older firmware versions updated the old, Sony way: running an program on a PC with the camera connected. Then came a version which, for subsequent versions, would read new firmware files off the card. This was good news to those of us that do not even have a Windows or Mac PC.

BUT

Beware the Sony Cr'app (Creator's App). It was the worst thing in my new-camera experience, setting up this new app. Which has no advantages to me whatsoever (the whole cloud thing is not even available in my country) over the Imaging Edge mobile app and was just a big pain to get working.

If you are happily using Imaging Edge mobile, you might be better off staying that way. If you are not using any mobile apps, then it won't matter anyway.

Check the release notes for things you need/want. Not every firmware update is a shiny new toy. Some are more of a heap of Cr':poop: !

Back