Name
Ralph Ernesti
Country
Australia
City/State
Mildura
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
My camera came today and looking on the for sale section I wish I was just sent the money as I would have got the A7r ii I think, but it could have been the mark 3.
But when you are on or under insurance you have to follow their rules or they will make it hard for you.

Well it took a while to charge the battery then I watch a Youtube on setting up then had a look at the tv through the camera.
And I could see it was a clearer shot already. So we are going to be best of friends .
I have named my camera Kooka-Roo.
Meaning the Kookaburra is my all time favourite bird and I have got to being called Kooka by out local group.
And the Roo is for my spirit animal as this is haw things have worked out. And I believe it to be true as well, while other may think I'm an idiot.
But I am fine with that. So yes the new camera has its name and will as much as I am busting to get out.
But Sunday me and a mate are heading bush and this is when I will try it out for real.

I will see if I like the focus the old way or if I go back to the back button focus. So I will write that down and change it if I feel I need to
while out bush.
But I got this camera and had a good feeling right away, which is a good sign. So me and my new best mate will be together for a long time to come.

Congratulations Ralph. Go get 'em!

I am sorry to who told me about the battery as I can't find that post.
But I went out yesterday and the battery was down t about half way on a not overly bust day.
Even though the RX 10m4 with a batttery grip would have gone through the 2 batteries
and I would think I might have been close to to low levels on the next 2.
With the the A7ii I know it would have been up to about 3 batteries for the time and shots taken.

And this new more powerful battery of the Sony A7iii is far better by a long shot.
I still would like to the battery pack for this one and then I know if its a super full day I will be completely
in the drivers seat. So this is a very well done to Sony for this massive improvement.

I am sorry to who told me about the battery as I can't find that post.
Maybe you are referring to this reply where I wrote
"1) A single of the new A7iii NP-FZ100 batteries will outlast 2 of the older A7ii batteries."

I know about your insurance A7ii claim that prevents you to get/wait for the A7M4, but point 2) is still valid, and I truly believe you will be better off without a battery grip on the A7M3, especially because of the extra bag bulk it implies. Unless you get into tripod/gimbal-head bird shoot mode a once-a-day 30s battery swap is totally doable for non-professional A7M3 work.

As for memory cards: don't bother buying anything faster than W150mb/s as that is the max write speed cap on the fastest of the 2 slots of the camera itself.

With A7M3 I usually had a W150mbs card on the slot#1 (for RAWs) and a W95mbs card on the slower slot#2 for the backup JPEGs ("sorted" stills media recording mode). Allways, allways, allways format your cards in camera, never on the computer.

Other important (anoying) details to be aware of with the A7M3:
1) if you use fast primes wide open then you should disable EFC (Electronic First Curtain) or you won't be getting the full bokeh potential/effect of the lens. This will add undesired extra lag between shutter pressing and actual picture taking as well it will eat into your max fps burst rate (and double the shutter noise and wear per picture taken ...).
2) electronic (silent) shutter with indoor artificial lights give horrible banding in 9 out of 10 cases.
3) A7M3 will be useless for fast action where silence (again electronic shutter) is mandatory: golf. Terrible rolling shutter.

Last edited:
Maybe you are referring to this reply where I wrote
"1) A single of the new A7iii NP-FZ100 batteries will outlast 2 of the older A7ii batteries."

I know about your insurance A7ii claim that prevents you to get/wait for the A7M4, but point 2) is still valid, and I truly believe you will be better off without a battery grip on the A7M3, especially because of the extra bag bulk it implies. Unless you get into tripod/gimbal-head bird shoot mode a once-a-day 30s battery swap is totally doable for non-professional A7M3 work.

As for memory cards: don't bother buying anything faster than W150mb/s as that is the max write speed cap on the fastest of the 2 slots of the camera itself.

With A7M3 I usually had a W150mbs card on the slot#1 (for RAWs) and a W95mbs card on the slower slot#2 for the backup JPEGs ("sorted" stills media recording mode). Allways, allways, allways format your cards in camera, never on the computer.

Other important (anoying) details to be aware of with the A7M3:
1) if you use fast primes wide open then you should disable EFC (Electronic First Curtain) or you won't be getting the full bokeh potential/effect of the lens. This will add undesired extra lag between shutter pressing and actual picture taking as well it will eat into your max fps burst rate (and double the shutter noise and wear per picture taken ...).
2) electronic (silent) shutter with indoor artificial lights give horrible banding in 9 out of 10 cases.
3) A7M3 will be useless for fast action where silence (again electronic shutter) is mandatory: golf. Terrible rolling shutter.
Yep that was it and thanks for knowing where it was.
Your point is valid as said but I am happy where I am so far with this one.
I basically only take birds shots and way back I had a Sony A77ii with a battery pack and I had the Tamron 150/600mm lens on it.
I walked about all day hand held. I got use to the weight and all that.
So with the Sony A7iii with a battery pack and my main lens is the Sigma 100/400mm lens I am sure I will cope with it.
Yer my shoulder are going but I still know I will do okay with it as my set up daily .
Thanks for the advice and I am not just rolling it out the window. As I have thought about it all.
There will be no difference as I see it as I had that set up with the Sony A7ii .

The memory cards is something I had no idea about and will change my selection on ebay now that I have read this.
I am very early into this camera to work things out and honestly some of the tech talk is over my head.
In the wash I am a simple bloke So sometime this sort of stuff takes a while to sink in.
I know with the old one it would hit the buffer zone and it would take a while to fully load the all
when is continuous mode. But again this is something that doesn't bother me overly.\
But I can see times where it will.

If there is a lens I want to get it is a Macro lens but everything is going to have to be fully set up as to why I stopped in the 1st place.
but with the covid crap it might give me a little more to do. So I will start up collection bugs again to get up.
And I was thinking of the 1.4 teleconverter and that's it . I will be happy with my set up with that.

I have seen that banding only in my test shots inside but that it all so for me I very much doubt for a while this will
not be a fctor for me to worry about.

So thank you for your insight into this camera.
I think it is going to work out for mequite well.

I, too, was interested in a macro lens to add to the Zeiss/Sony 55.0 mm f/1.8 and the Sony 24 - 240 mm. However I got an extension tube set with a 10 mm and 16 mm tube to be used singly or together. So I can use the wonderful Zeiss as a macro and saved a lot of money. My set is Vello. There are a few on the market you can research.

Here is an image I captured using both tubes on the Zeiss.

Cube within a Cube within a Cube.jpg
  • ILCE-7M2
  • FE 55mm F1.8 ZA
  • 55.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.2
  • 1/160 sec
  • ISO 1600

Back