Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Gary
Country
United Kingdom
I just wondered if any members would still buy the a9 mark one for birds and wildlife photography or the a7 mk4 or is the a9 out dated ? I have the 200-600 and the a7iii and also the a99i mk2 and loads of a-mount primes , but wondering if its time to part with one of these bodies now

Gary,

I honestly don't feel the A9 body is outdated. It's such a great piece of gear. The no blackout shooting is something that I've admittedly coveted for some time now. As an event shooter, I've found the blackout on the A7iii a bit of an issue to deal with. I've actually missed some key moments that have made me wish I had the A9 even more. To digress, I think it's still a winner.

Ever considered just renting it to see how it would fair for your use?

I am going to buy the A9ii, I know they are similar but I expect Sony to keep on updating the MKii for a much longer period.

Agreed! If you have the funds,I would always recommend getting the most recent model. Saving a few dollars is the best argument for selecting a more dated option. Good luck in your decision!

Agreed! If you have the funds,I would always recommend getting the most recent model. Saving a few dollars is the best argument for selecting a more dated option. Good luck in your decision!
thanks guys for your thoughts I figure the a9 is the camera I should have bought when I got the a7iii , so maybe I see what happens to the cost of the mk2 if the mk3 arrives

thanks guys for your thoughts I figure the a9 is the camera I should have bought when I got the a7iii , so maybe I see what happens to the cost of the mk2 if the mk3 arrives
If time is on your side,definitely wait it out. Im in a similar situation myself. I have the MKIII but feel like I should've got the RIII instead. I'm mainly a portrait shooter and often crop. I feel like the extra resolution would be beneficial in my case. However, I'm now debating between the RIII and saving up to get the RIV. I just don't know if the jump from the RIII to the RIV is worth the extra $1000. Thoughts?

I wouldn't consider the a9 outdated. Also with firmware 6.0 Sony added a lot of new features like the animal eye autofocus, real-time tracking, interval shooting, focus frame color selection and support for the RMT-P1BT remote. If the rumoured a9III appears next year then you'll probably see some great bargains on the a9 along with a shed load of used a9's going up for sale.

I agree with Tim regarding the A9. I have the A7RIV and love it, but I am seriously considering the A9 as a second body. I’ve seen to many great photos and video’s from this camera to consider it an over the hill. The reduced prices now are pretty sweet.

Last edited:
yep but I am not that good at waiting so I think its going to be sooner rather than later , maybe a present to me from me

quick update I just pulled the trigger on a mk1 a9 with under 100 shutter count so I hope its the right camera , well I guess it is as I cannot justify the mk2 right now

Back