Sony Alpha filenames

Jane

Newcomer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
I am using a7RIV and a9II. For image filenames I like to use an identifier for the camera then my initials then the sequence number. The problem is Sony reserves five digits for the sequence number yet it only counts to 9999, so only using 4. The leftmost digit is always zero. Am I missing something? I end up with file names 7JN0xxxx. I’d like 7JSNxxxx. Has anyone resolved this or am I stuck with a meaningless 0 as the 4th character?

I think I remember seeing that it was a limitation in the software reserved for something so yes you're stuck when it gets to 9999 because it reverts to 0000 and duplicates file names...

Thanks. What a waste - meaningless to have a constant 0. Even a dash would be more useful.

I think I remember seeing that it was a limitation in the software reserved for something so yes you're stuck when it gets to 9999 because it reverts to 0000 and duplicates file names...

This has been my biggest bugbear with Nikon and now Sony. My Pentax used to just keep going, so I always knew my shutter count for one, and I didn't have to make a new save folder every time I got to 9999.

Back