Name
Tim
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Shropshire
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Sony has announced their latest addition to the E-mount family of lenses and this time its the FE 24-50MM F2.8 G lens.

The lens is constructed of 16 elements in 13 groups, there’s an 11 blade circular aperture and it measures 74.8 x 92.3 mm (3 x 3-3/4 in.). It weighs just 440 g (15.6 oz.).

It has minimum shooting distance of 0.19 m (AF) at the wide-end and a maximum magnification of 0.30 x (AF).

The lens features focus, zoom, and aperture rings, the aperture ring can de-clicked for video shooting. There’s also a customizable focus hold button.

The lens is dust and moisture-resistant and the front element has a fluorine coating.

The lens also supports in-body Active Mode image stabilisation and is compatible with the focus breathing compensation on camera bodies that support it.

The lens will be available in the US in May 2024 for $1,098.00. In Europe it will be available at the end of April for £1,140 / €1,300.

Pre-orders open tomorrow at B&H Photo.

Further details and early reviews can be found in the blog post:

Last edited:
I was unconvinced about this lens but I can see it working for the A7C series, specially as a walk-around lens and for those interested in street photography.

Although I still prefer my 20-70 f4, the new lens feels more balanced on a compact body, as can be seen in some of those video reviews.

We are spoilt with choice for sure.

Last edited:
Some lukewarm reviews from Pcmag and Photographyblog.

It's just a weird lens. The rumored Sigma 25-50 sounds just as dumb except for the supposed f/2 aperture. That lens makes sense, this one doesn't. The only real advantage this one has over one of the 24-X lenses is size.

Sony has announced their latest addition to the E-mount family of lenses and this time its the FE 24-50MM F2.8 G lens.

The lens is constructed of 16 elements in 13 groups, there’s an 11 blade circular aperture and it measures 74.8 x 92.3 mm (3 x 3-3/4 in.). It weighs just 440 g (15.6 oz.).

It has minimum shooting distance of 0.19 m (AF) at the wide-end and a maximum magnification of 0.30 x (AF).

The lens features focus, zoom, and aperture rings, the aperture ring can de-clicked for video shooting. There’s also a customizable focus hold button.

The lens is dust and moisture-resistant and the front element has a fluorine coating.

The lens also supports in-body Active Mode image stabilisation and is compatible with the focus breathing compensation on camera bodies that support it.

The lens will be available in the US in May 2024 for $1,098.00. In Europe it will be available at the end of April for £1,140 / €1,300.

Pre-orders open tomorrow at B&H Photo.

Further details and early reviews can be found in the blog post:

I have placed an order for this lens as it will compliment my Tamron 50-400mm, also much lighter than my MK1 24-70mm and smaller in size😊

It's just a weird lens. The rumored Sigma 25-50 sounds just as dumb except for the supposed f/2 aperture. That lens makes sense, this one doesn't. The only real advantage this one has over one of the 24-X lenses is size.
I have ordered it...it will compliment my Tamron 50-400mm perfectly and a big weight reduction in the MK1 24-70mm 😊

Back