Name
Tim
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Shropshire
CC Welcome
  1. Yes

Thank you. Put in for a preorder. I am curious how this differs from the 4. Maybe no element?

When I saw this I was both disappointed and excited; having just taken the plunge with a 24-105, 70-200 and 200-600 e-mount set, I could have taken a bit more time to do the upgrade. I’ve got several a-mount lenses that I love but don’t think the quality will be up to using with the A7R4. I’m therefore in two minds; should I get the adaptor or just spend a little more and get a native e-mount f1.7 lens?

I wonder if this was in the works before the "monster adapter" upgrade for the LA-EA4 became available out of China. As an a7rII and a9 owner, I'm bummed to see the initial limits to which bodies it's compatable with, but time will tell. I still have a couple old Minolta lenses that would be more useful with an upgraded adapter.

I have just received mine today and look forward to trying it out with my minolta 400, sigma 500, and sony 300 2.8 , 70-4000 g2 its a shame it does not allow teleconverters to be used with it and I understand you need to down load the lastest firmware for your camera body

I just ordered my monster board and will be purchasing an ea5 as well.

I want the ability to use screw drive with all my bodies, so SSM/SAM with EA5 and some work with my R4 with screw drive. Monster with A9 and R3 screw drive, since you lose all non-screw drive interface.

You will never get IQ close to current FE lenses, they are not designed for anything higher than 24MP or for mirrorless, but that isn't the point of using old glass. For me it is the subtle difference in the "look" and color you get with Minolta glass.

I had the lae-5 out on sunday with the 300 2.8 and early indications are good, as for minolta glass I have not tried any yet but I was wondering if the older minoltas like the 400 4.5 will perform well on high megapixel bodies like the 7mk4 61 megapixel? I use the 400 4.5 on my a99 mk2 and its not quiet as good as on the a77ii even with the front curtain shutter off.

I had the lae-5 out on sunday with the 300 2.8 and early indications are good, as for minolta glass I have not tried any yet but I was wondering if the older minoltas like the 400 4.5 will perform well on high megapixel bodies like the 7mk4 61 megapixel? I use the 400 4.5 on my a99 mk2 and its not quiet as good as on the a77ii even with the front curtain shutter off.
That older glass will struggle with anything higher than 24MP. Every flaw will be multiplied x10. CA is my biggest issue on any MP camera, but that can be fixed easy in post. I think any of the "Sony" A-mount, even those based on Minolta designs will be fine, even using a R3. If you check DXO, none of them can resolve more than 30 MP, I think 26 is the best I have seen. Todays glass is just so good, but IMO it lacks character and often imperfections are pretty neat. :) I won't be using any of the Minolta glass I currently own for real photo work, mostly for fun and if the "look" is needed I will have it. Soft and airy with contrasty Minolta color.

Back